solaris zones on top of vlans (801.1q) on top of sun trunking?

solaris zones on top of vlans (801.1q) on top of sun trunking?

Post by ed » Sat, 11 Feb 2006 00:01:16

how feasible is this idea:

i set up a global zone with 2-4 ce gigabit nics trunked/teamed/bonded
together with 4-6 different vlans going over the same trunk.

now i create zones as needed and attach them to this 'trunk' using the
vlans each zone needs.

if i have multiple servers (global zones) with this same setup, it
would be much easier to "move" zones between the servers since all
vlans would be available everywhere in the same fashion with high
availability (minus switch failure) and scalability (add more gig nics
to the trunk if bandwidth is needed).

do you think this will work with the latest supported version of 10
(update 1) and sun trunking?

i will eventually test this but want to get a feel if i'm crazy or not
before i start :>

thanks,
ed

Post by Darren Dunha » Sat, 11 Feb 2006 01:57:01

> how feasible is this idea:
> i set up a global zone with 2-4 ce gigabit nics trunked/teamed/bonded
> together with 4-6 different vlans going over the same trunk.
> now i create zones as needed and attach them to this 'trunk' using the
> vlans each zone needs.
> if i have multiple servers (global zones) with this same setup, it
> would be much easier to "move" zones between the servers since all
> vlans would be available everywhere in the same fashion with high
> availability (minus switch failure) and scalability (add more gig nics
> to the trunk if bandwidth is needed).
> do you think this will work with the latest supported version of 10
> (update 1) and sun trunking?

I don't believe zone mobility is officially supported yet.  There is
some support in OpenSolaris/Nevada to allow this, but it's not in update
1.

You can probably do most of it, but you have to go outside the legal
interfaces.

Quote:> i will eventually test this but want to get a feel if i'm crazy or not
> before i start :>

I don't see any reason that sun trunking has anything to do with this.
I think your issue is just moving the zones around.  You'd need to make
sure you had identical patches on every server if you're using sparse
zones.

--

Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/

1. Squid Setting IP Forward (Top Top Top Urgent)

Why are you using 168.1.1.x for your network addresses? This is a
network that's allocated to Credit Suisse - which is in Switzerland.

Squid is configured to forward your real (internal) IP address. ISA
isn't.

The quick fix is to change squid not to forward your internal IP
address. The correct fix is to use a private network address as defined

in RFC 1918. Typically this is one starting 192.168.x.x.

I'm understand the problems, but i can't change the network design now.

So, How To do that (quick fix to change squid not forward my internal
ip address) ?? Is it add a iptables or config some etc .....

Please Please Please Please help me

Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many Many THANKS

2. quest about tar

3. SUN GigaSwift Adapter 802.1q VLAN-Tagging

4. Advocates Ban Together To Push Desktop Linux

5. 802.1q VLAN on a SUN GigaSwift Adapter

6. Printer compatability issue

7. Solaris 2.5.1 and Trunking 1.0 with VLANs?

8. How to timeout input from STDIN, then supply default value

9. Top topped

10. Using TOP (monitoring top processes)

11. top or top-like program for SVR4?

12. how do I do 802.1q trunking

13. Windows opening with their tops off the top of the screen.