backup multiple tar-files on a tape using tar and mt - command

backup multiple tar-files on a tape using tar and mt - command

Post by Sven Reichard » Fri, 23 May 1997 04:00:00

How can I backup multiple tar-files on a tape using mt and tar and how
can I restore them ???
I am working on a netserver under solaris 2.4

thanks for help !!

Post by George D » Fri, 23 May 1997 04:00:00

]How can I backup multiple tar-files on a tape using mt and tar and how
]can I restore them ???
]I am working on a netserver under solaris 2.4
]

Use the non-rewinding devices, /dev/rmt/0cbn or whatever it is on your system.
It'll be like your current tape device with an "n" jammed on the end.

tar -cvf /dev/rmt/0cbn *

maybe followed by an

mt -f /dev/rmt/0cbn eof

I always like to check these tapes now to make sure there were no accidental
rewinds, since using this to back up a large Storage Array prior to a complete
re-org to find that I only had one out of 15 filesystems on the tape afterwards.

Have a play around to get comfortable with the stacked archives and the

mt -f /dev/rmt/0cbn fsf 1

and related commands for tape positioning.

Regards,
George.
--
   ,-,_|\   George Dau,
  /    * \  Unix (Solaris, DEC Unix, Linux), NT, Oracle, Internet.

        v   WWW:  http://pobox.com/~gedau

backup multiple tar-files on a tape using tar and mt - command

Post by hbur » Sat, 24 May 1997 04:00:00

Hi;

You can use mt with some /dev/rmt/*n (no rewind) to read ahead allready written
archives. Also use the norewind device with the archive command.

PS I eject after every archive write and reposition (mt) before writing the
   next one .

hb