DES encryption routines in Solaris 2.4

Post by Terry Tra » Fri, 01 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
I need to port some software from a Stratus VOS environment to Solaris
2.4; the software makes use of a Stratus DES encryption package
including 64-bit ECB (Electronic Code Book) and CFB (Cipher Feedback)
mode DES encryption and decryption routines.

I need to be able to replicate the Stratus functionality in Sun,
producing exactly the same results on both sides.  I am hoping and
praying that I can do this in the Sun environment; there is a man page
describing ECB encryption:

        des_crypt(3)           C Library Functions           des_crypt(3)

        NAME
             des_crypt, ecb_crypt, cbc_crypt, des_setparity, DES_FAILED -
             fast DES encryption

        SYNOPSIS
             #include <des_crypt.h>

             int ecb_crypt(char *key, char *data, unsigned datalen,
                  unsigned mode);

             int cbc_crypt(char *key, char *data, unsigned datalen,
                  unsigned mode, char *ivec);

             void des_setparity(char *key);

             int DES_FAILED(int stat);

However this library seems not to exist on the system.  Is this a
separate package you have to purchase from Sun?  And is there an
alternative source, e.g. a C++ class library package (ideal) or a GNU
or other freeware package.  I've already looked at GNU's
glibc-1.09-crypt.tar.gz and it doesn't have the functions I need as
far as I can tell.  Thanks for any assistance!

Terry

Post by Terry Tra » Fri, 08 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>Traub) writes:

>>> I need to port some software from a Stratus VOS environment to Solaris
>>> 2.4; the software makes use of a Stratus DES encryption package
>>> including 64-bit ECB (Electronic Code Book) and CFB (Cipher Feedback)
>>> mode DES encryption and decryption routines.

>>> I need to be able to replicate the Stratus functionality in Sun,
>>> producing exactly the same results on both sides.  I am hoping and
>>> praying that I can do this in the Sun environment; there is a man page
>>> describing ECB encryption:

>>>         des_crypt(3)           C Library Functions           des_crypt(3)
>[...]
>>> However this library seems not to exist on the system.  Is this a

Followup on my original posting:  the package is available from Sun
for $95 and contains these DES encryption modes.  In the meantime I
was able to browse the web and locate a great package in Australia,
written by Eric Young:

  ftp://ftp.psy.uq.oz.au/pub/Crypto/DES/libdes-x.xx.tar.gz

This does everything the commercial package does.  At least I could
get some work done while waiting for the inferior Sun package to arrive ;-)

Terry

--
Please don't do that; it stinks!        -- anon.