where go the boot messages?

Post by Nico Wielan » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

hello

apologies if i miss the obvious, but where do the messsages at boot time
go? partially they're in /var/adm/messages, but not everything.... do
they go somewhere else, or can i config this somewhere?

thanks for your time

nico

where go the boot messages?

Post by Andrew Gabri » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>apologies if i miss the obvious, but where do the messsages at boot time
>go? partially they're in /var/adm/messages, but not everything.... do
>they go somewhere else, or can i config this somewhere?

It would help if you said which ones are missing which you want.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

where go the boot messages?

Post by Scott Giffor » Fri, 02 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Some of them can be retreived by running

        $ dmesg

.  Others, such as those produced by printing directly from the
startup scripts, cannot be recovered as far as I know.

-----ScottG.

> hello

> apologies if i miss the obvious, but where do the messsages at boot time
> go? partially they're in /var/adm/messages, but not everything.... do
> they go somewhere else, or can i config this somewhere?

> thanks for your time

> nico

1. Ignoring specific boot messages / boot message redirection??

Hi everyone,

I have written a program that I call from a shell script which is
placed in /etc/rc2.d . This script calls another script which loads a
driver using the add_drv command. This is on Solaris 8.

Thing is, the driver is evaluation only - that's ok I am using it for
a really really basic function - it's just it prints a "please
register/purchase me" to the screen at boot:

"drvr: [ID 513294 kern.notice] Driver: This is an unregistered copy.
The driver will work for the next 60 minutes. To register please
contact..."

I thought in the calling script, I could just redirect output to
/dev/null yet this doesn't work. What is the driver writing to on
load? Is it the standard output? Is there a way to just
ignore/redirect this message so that at boot it is not displayed?

Can I do it by mucking around with syslog.conf? Although I would still
like to log kern.notice messages...

Any help in this matter will be appreciated...

Damien.

2. xlib connection failure

3. boot message: microuptime () went backwards ?

4. setting precedence

5. Boot messages go by too fast

6. 3D Prophet 4000 XT

7. Going, going, going, GONE! Bye Windows!

8. xbiff using 1.2 MB?

9. Logging boot messages(and crash messages)

10. Solaris on Intel: Going, going - Gone!

11. Enlightenment icon box- gone, gone, gone...

12. Solaris on Intel: Going, going - Gone!

13. Boot issues (will Windows 95 boot from the 2nd drive withBootEasy???; strange error message with wd0)