Corrupt Label : Wrong Magic Number

Post by Vicky Tanya Sen » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 10:08:57

Hi,
   My problem is that I have a 9.1G seagate drive on a Ultra 10 is and
it keeps saying ...

# fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2
** /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2
BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG
USE AN ALTERNATE SUPER-BLOCK TO SUPPLY NEEDED INFORMATION;
eg. fsck [-F ufs] -o b=# [special ...]
where # is the alternate super block. SEE fsck_ufs(1M).

and I can't run the format command in the format program because it says
I must use "Manufacturer supplied Format utility" which I don't have and
don't know how to get.  But I have tried the following ...

1. I have tried to use format to create a new label and  and still
"corrupt label : wrong magic number"  error.
AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
       0. c0t0d0 <ST39120A cyl 17660 alt 2 hd 16 sec 63>

Specify disk (enter its number): 0
selecting c0t0d0
No defect list found
[disk formatted, no defect list found]
Warning: Current Disk has mounted partitions.

FORMAT MENU:
        disk       - select a disk
        type       - select (define) a disk type
        partition  - select (define) a partition table
        current    - describe the current disk
        format     - format and analyze the disk
        repair     - repair a defective sector
        show       - translate a disk address
        label      - write label to the disk
        analyze    - surface analysis
        defect     - defect list management
        backup     - search for backup labels
        verify     - read and display labels
        save       - save new disk/partition definitions
        volname    - set 8-character volume name
        !<cmd>     - execute <cmd>, then return
        quit
format> label
Ready to label disk, continue? y

format> save
Saving new disk and partition definitions
Enter file name["./format.dat"]:
format>

2. I have tried restore a backup label and still "corrupt label  : wrong
magic number"  error.

3. I have also tried "fsck -o b=32"  and and still "corrupt label :
wrong magic number"  error.

  data.vcf
< 1K Download

Corrupt Label : Wrong Magic Number

Post by Lanc » Fri, 29 Mar 2002 11:42:29

The magic number deals with the file system type.  Every file system has
it's own unique identifier, Solaris sees one that it doesn't recognize and
thus gives you the error.

Try creating a partition.

Lance

> Hi,
>    My problem is that I have a 9.1G seagate drive on a Ultra 10 is and
> it keeps saying ...

> # fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2
> ** /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2
> BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG
> USE AN ALTERNATE SUPER-BLOCK TO SUPPLY NEEDED INFORMATION;
> eg. fsck [-F ufs] -o b=# [special ...]
> where # is the alternate super block. SEE fsck_ufs(1M).

> and I can't run the format command in the format program because it says
> I must use "Manufacturer supplied Format utility" which I don't have and
> don't know how to get.  But I have tried the following ...

> 1. I have tried to use format to create a new label and  and still
> "corrupt label : wrong magic number"  error.
> AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
>        0. c0t0d0 <ST39120A cyl 17660 alt 2 hd 16 sec 63>

> Specify disk (enter its number): 0
> selecting c0t0d0
> No defect list found
> [disk formatted, no defect list found]
> Warning: Current Disk has mounted partitions.

> FORMAT MENU:
>         disk       - select a disk
>         type       - select (define) a disk type
>         partition  - select (define) a partition table
>         current    - describe the current disk
>         format     - format and analyze the disk
>         repair     - repair a defective sector
>         show       - translate a disk address
>         label      - write label to the disk
>         analyze    - surface analysis
>         defect     - defect list management
>         backup     - search for backup labels
>         verify     - read and display labels
>         save       - save new disk/partition definitions
>         volname    - set 8-character volume name
>         !<cmd>     - execute <cmd>, then return
>         quit
> format> label
> Ready to label disk, continue? y

> format> save
> Saving new disk and partition definitions
> Enter file name["./format.dat"]:
> format>

> 2. I have tried restore a backup label and still "corrupt label  : wrong
> magic number"  error.

> 3. I have also tried "fsck -o b=32"  and and still "corrupt label :
> wrong magic number"  error.>

Corrupt Label : Wrong Magic Number

Post by Vicky Tanya Sen » Sat, 30 Mar 2002 07:34:34

I did try to make a label with the format program. I also made some partitions
and relabeled the disk. But when I try to install solairs 8 or 2.6 (Operating
Environment Installation CD Sep 1999, This CD is require for 2.6 installs on
newer hardware) the installation hangs at the very beginning. The only thing I
can get to install is 2.6 (5/98).

So I am very confused at this point.

Thank You for all your help.
--
Vicky "Tanya" Seno
UNIX Administrator

Corrupt Label : Wrong Magic Number

Post by Darren Dunha » Sat, 30 Mar 2002 09:29:58

Quote:> This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
> --------------9A64F5302AE3A0444B42FCB9
> Hi,
>    My problem is that I have a 9.1G seagate drive on a Ultra 10 is and
> it keeps saying ...
> # fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2
> ** /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2

Why are you running fsck on that device?  Slice 2 is usually the "entire
disk".  In this case that means it'll look for a filesystem at the start
of the disk.  You may not have one there.

Why that line?

At least show us the output from partition/print in format, or a prtvtoc
output.

          < How are you gentlemen!! Take off every '.SIG'!! >

Corrupt Label : Wrong Magic Number

Post by Lanc » Sat, 30 Mar 2002 09:45:25

This is interesting.  Two suggestions, one would be to install this drive
into a PC and sun the Seagate tools.  You can them at Seagate.com  You could
run this:
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/
which is an online web based utility that only runs under Windows.

Have you tried a different release of Solaris 8?

Lance

Quote:> I did try to make a label with the format program. I also made some
partitions
> and relabeled the disk. But when I try to install solairs 8 or 2.6
(Operating
> Environment Installation CD Sep 1999, This CD is require for 2.6 installs
on
> newer hardware) the installation hangs at the very beginning. The only
thing I
> can get to install is 2.6 (5/98).

> So I am very confused at this point.

> Thank You for all your help.
> --
> Vicky "Tanya" Seno
> UNIX Administrator
> Information Systems Group
> College of Engineering and Computer Science
> California State University, Northridge
> 18111 Nordhoff Street
> Northridge, CA 91330-8295
> Work: 818.677.3919
> Fax: 818.677.4192
> Pager: 818.372.4688

Corrupt Label : Wrong Magic Number

Post by Vicky Tanya Sen » Sat, 30 Mar 2002 10:17:34

I actually did that yesterday. The Seagate tools seems to only test for physical
damage.
I also put it on a PC and ran fdisk and still it hangs on install.
What I don't understand is what 2.6 does to the disk that 8 doesn't. And I only
have the first release of 8.

Tanya

--
Vicky "Tanya" Seno
UNIX Administrator
Information Systems Group
College of Engineering and Computer Science
California State University, Northridge
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8295
Work: 818.677.3919
Fax: 818.677.4192
Pager: 818.372.4688

Corrupt Label : Wrong Magic Number

Post by Lanc » Sat, 30 Mar 2002 11:02:21

It would be interesting to see if a later release of 8 exhibits the same
problem.  I have 07/01, 02/02 and one that doesn't quite say what it is but
Solaris 8.  With the 1999-2000 transition safe, probably the same one as you
have.  You can also download it from Sun and put it on a CD.  Seagate does
have some file system tools, but it only supports FAT and FAT32.  Neither of
which would help in this situations.

Here are the binaries at SUN:
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/binaries/keys.cgi?sparc

Lance

Quote:> I actually did that yesterday. The Seagate tools seems to only test for
physical
> damage.
> I also put it on a PC and ran fdisk and still it hangs on install.
> What I don't understand is what 2.6 does to the disk that 8 doesn't. And I
only
> have the first release of 8.

>  Tanya

Corrupt Label : Wrong Magic Number

Post by Vicky Tanya Sen » Sun, 31 Mar 2002 02:28:33

I tried to install Solaris 8 again (the same version as before) and this time it
doesn't hang. Usually it will hang right at "Solaris Web Start 3.0 installer".

If I do dd /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s2 bs=64k Do you think it would
copy the disk label ?
The reason I ask is because we have labs full of ultra 10s and I use jumpstart
to dd over the network. And if dd does copy the disk label, I am all set.

Tanya