1. Odd Modem Problem (Modem not responding) (Not a WinModem!)
I've been around Linux off and on since kernel .99.15o, so believe me
when I say that this is _not_ a WinModem problem. :)
I just installed Debian "potato". Clean install, and few problems,
but I can not make this box talk to my modems. When I start minicom,
everything I type gets echoed back, but the modem doesn't respond
(other than to echo back what I type). The echoing is odd-- it
only echoes the carriage return when I hit <enter>; I can manually
type a new line, but that doesn't help. The modem doesn't act
on anything I type; e.g. typing "atdt33333" doesn't make any noise
(and should; at least the external modem I'm _sure_ is set to
make noise, since it does when hooked up to another machine, and that's
the factory default).
Just so you know I'm not crazy:
It's not an interrupt problem. The same thing happens with an
external and an internal problem, and with seterial /dev/ttyS2 irq 0
Moreover, I'm setting the interrupt by jumper.
It's not a setserial problem. If minicom isn't talking to the
right port, then nothing gets echoed back. Only when it's talking
to the right port do I even see the echoing.
I did get the external modem to talk back, by telling it to ignore
DTR. However, that caused other problems (most notably, my ppp
connection getting garbage that caused it to hang up; my ISP is
a bit draconian :)
statserial shows DTR always 1, DCD always 0. I can give more info
The modems are a Gateway Telepath ISA (w/ jumpers :) and a USR 28.8
Fax/Modem. The box is a gateway P5-120 that I got for $25.
Any ideas? I'm open to suggestions...
Thanks in advance,
Disclaimer: Anything I said, writ, or thought in my life should not
necessarily be held or thought to imply any view, opinion, or idea
of mine, any organization I have chosen to associate with, or those
people who choose to associate with me.
2. Try Me!
3. Modem problem - External US Robotics Voice modem
4. Logging ALL keystroke activities of user?...
5. modem problem conect to provider (wisecom modem)
6. Passwd, AIX
7. A modem problem about Intel 536ep Modem
8. Request: Frame Grabber DT-2861 info again, please - -
9. modem problem with statserial and modem tool.
10. Strange modem problem -- my modem no longer works in Linux
11. Swapping Modem in Linux : DIVA ISDN Modem problem
12. kppp/modem problem (modem busy)
13. Weird Modem problems/modem related Hangs