modem problems

Post by Dale Houst » Wed, 11 Jan 1995 07:21:30

Hi there. I'm hooking some modems up to a SPARCstation 10 (actually, a
Pinnacle clone) and a SPARCstation LX both running Solaris 2.3 for the
eventual purpose of running PPP. The modems are both Supra Fax Modem
288's. Setting the modems up using admintool was much easier than I
feared it would be and I am able to tip from one machine to the other
pretty nicely.

Except....  ...one of the machines paniced once.

And (my big problem), the computer won't reliably let me log in unless
the receiving computer is set to talk to the modem at 9600 baud. The
modems can talk to each other at speeds up to 28.8K, but I can only log
in if the receiving guy is set to "9600" or "auto". In either case,  I
get a CONNECT 9600 and can work reasonably well.

Any clues, suggestions, etc are  appreciated.

thanks in advance.

dale

--
Dale Houston, computer guy  : finger me
Dept of Biostatistics       : for the latest

1. Odd Modem Problem (Modem not responding) (Not a WinModem!)

I've been around Linux off and on since kernel .99.15o, so believe me
when I say that this is _not_ a WinModem problem. :)

I just installed Debian "potato".  Clean install, and few problems,
but I can not make this box talk to my modems.   When I start minicom,
everything I type gets echoed back, but the modem doesn't respond
(other than to echo back what I type).  The echoing is odd-- it
only echoes the carriage return when I hit <enter>; I can manually
type a new line, but that doesn't help.   The modem doesn't act
on anything I type; e.g. typing "atdt33333" doesn't make any noise
(and should; at least the external modem I'm _sure_ is set to
make noise, since it does when hooked up to another machine, and that's
the factory default).

Just so you know I'm not crazy:
        It's not an interrupt problem.  The same thing happens with an
        external and an internal problem, and with seterial /dev/ttyS2 irq 0
        Moreover, I'm setting the interrupt by jumper.

        It's not a setserial problem.  If minicom isn't talking to the
        right port, then nothing gets echoed back.  Only when it's talking
        to the right port do I even see the echoing.

        I did get the external modem to talk back, by telling  it to ignore
        DTR.  However, that caused other problems (most notably, my ppp
        connection getting garbage that caused it to hang up; my ISP is
        a bit draconian :)

        statserial shows DTR always 1, DCD always 0.  I can give more info
        if necessary.

        The modems are a Gateway Telepath ISA (w/ jumpers :) and a USR 28.8
        Fax/Modem.  The box is a gateway P5-120 that I got for $25.

Any ideas?  I'm open to suggestions...

Thanks in advance,

                Me
--
Disclaimer:  Anything I said, writ, or thought in my life should not
necessarily be held or thought to imply any view, opinion, or idea

2. Try Me!

3. Modem problem - External US Robotics Voice modem

4. Logging ALL keystroke activities of user?...

5. modem problem conect to provider (wisecom modem)

6. Passwd, AIX

7. A modem problem about Intel 536ep Modem

8. Request: Frame Grabber DT-2861 info again, please - -

9. modem problem with statserial and modem tool.

10. Strange modem problem -- my modem no longer works in Linux

11. Swapping Modem in Linux : DIVA ISDN Modem problem

12. kppp/modem problem (modem busy)

13. Weird Modem problems/modem related Hangs