Solaris Device driver programming/configuration

Solaris Device driver programming/configuration

Post by Johan Verrep » Sat, 30 May 1998 04:00:00

hello #?,

        I am currently trying to write a device driver for Solaris 2.5.1 and
higher.
        I have some things i wish to do and i would like some
idea's/suggestions/...
        on how to do it.

        The driver i have to write (mydriver) will be using another driver
(origdriver).
        I know i can link them using I_PLINK. Some parameters must be
configured in
        origdriver so the traffic of mydriver ends up in the right place.

        I create a new minor device have the user I_PLINK it to the origdriver.
        The user must send some configuration message to mydriver, who then
knows what to
        tell to origdriver. But this is not what i want to do.

        I would like to have a mydriver instance fully configured when it is
opened. So I can use it
        without user configuration. Can i create (multiple) permanent links to
the driver,
        each with its own configuration ? how ?

        for example :
        /dev/mydriver0 with configuration A
        /dev/mydriver1 with configuration B

        ( A bit like /dev/ttya is mapped to serial port 1 and ttyb is mapped to
serial port 2 )

        Each with it's own or with a common interface to origdriver, i
don't care.
        I presume this is possible, but i can't find how to do it...

        thanx,

                J.

--
                                  ________
/---------------------------------\      /--------------------\

\-------------------------------------------------------------/

1. SCSI device driver programming under Solaris 2.x

I need to size a project which involves writing a device driver
for the SCSI subsystem under Solaris 2.x.  Does Sunsoft provide an
open architecture for dealing with SCSI host bus adapters, device controllers
and individual devices?  Is this documented anywhere in the publically
available literature Sun provides?   (Like on the Answerbook??)  How
does the Solaris 2.x SCSI subsystem differ (if at all) from the
DDI/DKI/PDI specs which are current for SVR4.2?  Is there a SCSI
development kit available from Sun to 3rd party device driver writers?

As you can see, I'm starting from scratch here, so any leads would
be most welcome.

--
Steve Dyer

2. RedHat 6.1 and gnome problems

3. New device device driver development tool for Solaris.

4. Printing on Solaris 2.6, SunOS4.X

5. File still being written by FTP?

6. HELP needed: Solaris PCI device driver, device not auto detected.

7. Locking a Directory

8. Device driver calling another device driver.

9. Device driver question (generic device driver)

10. How to Read Files & Configuration Info in device driver

11. Solaris x86 9 (8/03): Device Configuration Assistant at every reboot?

12. Solaris 2.6 for x86 fails with device configuration.