Root file system mounted read-only

Post by William D. War » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 06:21:53

I'm having a problem where the root file system is coming up
mounted read-only.  The root file system was under Veritas
control so I modified the /etc/system file and the /etc/vfstab
file to remove it from Veritas.  It still comes up mounted
read-only.

There are a couple of warnings about not being able to force
load some modules but nothing until it starts hitting the
scripts in /etc/rcS.d.  The types of errors reported are
"ps: getexecname()" because /proc isn't mounted and "...:can't
remove file..." because the root file system is mounted read
only.

I used format to check that the root slice was not marked "rm"
instead of "wm".

Post by Benn » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 07:27:39

> I'm having a problem where the root file system is coming up
> mounted read-only.  The root file system was under Veritas
> control so I modified the /etc/system file and the /etc/vfstab
> file to remove it from Veritas.  It still comes up mounted
> read-only.

> There are a couple of warnings about not being able to force
> load some modules but nothing until it starts hitting the
> scripts in /etc/rcS.d.  The types of errors reported are
> "ps: getexecname()" because /proc isn't mounted and "...:can't
> remove file..." because the root file system is mounted read
> only.

> I used format to check that the root slice was not marked "rm"
> instead of "wm".

William,

Can you provide output from `ls -l /` and  `ls -l /proc`  and   `grep
proc /etc/vfstab` ?

My guess is that either you have created the /proc directory yourself OR
the following line is missing from /etc/vfstab :

/proc   -       /proc   proc    -       no      -

regards,

Benny