Screenblank and Solaris 2.3

Post by Stephen Pilling » Sat, 15 Jan 1994 20:48:40

Does anyone know if there is an equivalent of the SunOS 4 screenblank program
under Solaris 2.3. There is the "xset s" command but this only works when
Openwindows is running. Is there anything to blank the console when the
machine isn't running Openwindows?

Thanks,

Steve.

--
  Stephen Pillinger (Postmaster)      |  School of Computer Science,

  Tel: 021-414-3214 or 0836-667389    |  Birmingham B15 2TT, UK.

Screenblank and Solaris 2.3

Post by Scott R. Nels » Sun, 16 Jan 1994 00:59:33

>Does anyone know if there is an equivalent of the SunOS 4 screenblank program
>under Solaris 2.3. There is the "xset s" command but this only works when
>Openwindows is running. Is there anything to blank the console when the
>machine isn't running Openwindows?

Jef Poskanser has updated the screenblank code to work correctly with
Solaris 2.3.  I'm using it on the two most recently introduced Sun
frame buffers (TGX+ and ZX) and am happy with the results.  The source
is available via ftp, but I can't find the address of the ftp site
right now.  It is the same one that holds the pbmplus sources.  (Hey,
I tried using archie to look up the ftp site, but it kept complaining
about too many users and kicked me off.)  You could probably bother

it from.

---

Sun Microsystems

"Proofread carefully to see if you any words out."

Screenblank and Solaris 2.3

Post by Scott R. Nels » Sun, 16 Jan 1994 01:16:22

Wouldn't you know it?  Fif* seconds after I send off the note
explaining all about screenblank except for where to get it from,
I'm able to get onto archie and look it up.  The screenblank
program is available via anonymous ftp from netcom.com (192.83.166.10)
and is in the file /pub/jef/screenblank_25aug93.tar.Z.

---

Sun Microsystems

"Proofread carefully to see if you any words out."

Screenblank and Solaris 2.3

Post by afrmi.. » Tue, 18 Jan 1994 18:50:34

Quote:>Wouldn't you know it?  Fif* seconds after I send off the note
>explaining all about screenblank except for where to get it from,
>I'm able to get onto archie and look it up.  The screenblank
>program is available via anonymous ftp from netcom.com (192.83.166.10)
>and is in the file /pub/jef/screenblank_25aug93.tar.Z.

Thanks for the info Scott, but where do I now put this file??

It used to go in the rc.local file but that doesn't exist on my SparcClassic
running Solaris 2.3.

I even made the file but this didn't remedy the problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Shelly.