Staroffice opinions

Post by Wayne Rasmusse » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 09:23:32

Running Solaris 9. Does anyone really use Staroffice?  A few people I
know who have played with it have abandoned the idea of  using this
product.  This was a few years ago, IRCC, version 5.2 or such.  Now that

6.0 is out, perhaps it is better.

Basically, we have Corel Word Perfect but many of our customers are
using MS Word and someone has the opinion here that Staroffice will
provide a seamless and quick replacement for corel.  Now, when we run
corel, we have macros that fire off and those will have to be
rewritten...

Star Office would have to be run in the background in a multi-user
environment and would primarily be used to print word documents.

Looking for opinions.

thanks,
wayne

Staroffice opinions

Post by Rich Tee » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 11:07:36

Quote:> Running Solaris 9. Does anyone really use Staroffice?  A few people I
> know who have played with it have abandoned the idea of  using this
> product.  This was a few years ago, IRCC, version 5.2 or such.  Now that

My wife started using SO (on Solaris) a year or two ago.  She
prefers it to M$ Office on Windoze.  One of her friends was
cursing M$ Office one day, so we lent her the SO for Windoze
CD.  Now she's happy too.

Quote:> Basically, we have Corel Word Perfect but many of our customers are
> using MS Word and someone has the opinion here that Staroffice will
> provide a seamless and quick replacement for corel.  Now, when we run
> corel, we have macros that fire off and those will have to be
> rewritten...

Dunno about the macros, but otherwise, yes, I think you should
be OK.

Quote:> Star Office would have to be run in the background in a multi-user
> environment and would primarily be used to print word documents.

> Looking for opinions.

Install SO, and convice the people creating the Word docs that
maybe they should be saving their companies $$$$ by converting
too.

--
Rich Teer, SCNA

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Staroffice opinions

Post by r.. » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 11:42:56

> Basically, we have Corel Word Perfect but many of our customers are
> using MS Word and someone has the opinion here that Staroffice will
> provide a seamless and quick replacement for corel.  Now, when we run
> corel, we have macros that fire off and those will have to be
> rewritten...

Keep in mind that Corel Wordperfect is a dead issue now. They no longer
support UNIX or Linux.
--

Staroffice opinions

Post by Michael Jank » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 11:44:29

> Running Solaris 9. Does anyone really use Staroffice?  A few people I
> know who have played with it have abandoned the idea of  using this
> product.  This was a few years ago, IRCC, version 5.2 or such.  Now that

> 6.0 is out, perhaps it is better.

Much better.

Quote:> Basically, we have Corel Word Perfect but many of our customers are
> using MS Word and someone has the opinion here that Staroffice will
> provide a seamless and quick replacement for corel.  Now, when we run
> corel, we have macros that fire off and those will have to be
> rewritten...

I didn't think that SO6 has Corel filters. I had to use 'Conversions
Plus' software to convert my WordPerfect files to .rtf or .doc

Quote:> Star Office would have to be run in the background in a multi-user
> environment and would primarily be used to print word documents.

The formatting will not be perfect. Conversions never are.

Quote:> Looking for opinions.

My wife (a professor) & I use SO6 exclusively at home & mixed SO6 and
Word at work. I'm perfectly happy with SO, but I don't particularily
care if a doc is not perfectly formatted when I convert it.

Quote:> thanks,
> wayne

In my case by switching to StarOffice I'm able to completely eliminated
  Microsoft OS at home. We have Solaris, Sun Ray's, Mozilla, StarOffice.

My wife complained a bit about having to switch -- but I laid out the
cost of maintaining two computers, two MS OS's, two copies of Office
Suite, conversion software, firewall software, anti-virus software,
partitioning software, constant patches, constant upgrades, etc. verses
one computer & one inexpensive suite.

At work it is tougher. My boss is sold, but most of our users expect MS
stuff end-to-end. My attitude is 'If you send me a doc & I can't read it
-- that is your problem, not mine'. Most of our users are the opposite.
They panic when someone sends them a doc & it doesn't convert perfectly
-- even though the doc is a useless memo that could have been done plain
text in the body of the e-mail. (There is a car in the parking lot with
it's headlights one....). It is possible though, that if we lay out the
costs and make it clear that they are helping to save their jobs by
keeping costs down, they may put up with the switch. Then again -- maybe
not.

How about keeping a Windows server with Terminal services & Office to
use to read docs/spreadsheets that SO6 can't convert??

--Mike

Staroffice opinions

Post by Michael Laajane » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 19:17:11

HI,

I have used Corel on Solaris aswell for a 4-5 years ago, Staroffice is
way ahead of Corel atleast from that time, I still remember the codepage
:) (I think is was version 6 or 7).

Macros you probably have tp rewrite, I can't tell.

Staroffice and Openoffice(the free version) is fine, can not compare to
version 5 of Staroffice, the current version is much much better.

We used that in parrallel with windows terminal server in my previous
company and the terminal server was fine aslong as not the machine
started to get loaded then we had to reboot every morning (:

At that time we experienced alot of problems in the early openoffice
builds but after version  1.0 it become very stable, and now I can not
recall than many issues.

It works more of less with all documents, some formatting issues do
happend although I have not used the latest Startoffice patched version
(or openoffice 1.0.2) so that may (should) been improved.

The biggest problem in my opinion if using the tool for regular use is
the lack of good PDF file generation, I myself am used to Framemaker and
have alwayes publish PDF files when a document is ready, that is much
more tricky in Staroffice compared to Framemaker file-print-pdffile done.

I can really recommend it, have it for a few weeks to get used to it and
then do the evaluation, I think you would like it at the end of the day.

And for the money, if you have UNIX on you desk the only option is
windows terminal server and that is very very expensive.

/michael

Staroffice opinions

Post by Oscar del Ri » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 23:30:32

Quote:> The biggest problem in my opinion if using the tool for regular use is
> the lack of good PDF file generation, I myself am used to Framemaker and
> have alwayes publish PDF files when a document is ready, that is much
> more tricky in Staroffice compared to Framemaker file-print-pdffile done.

StarOffice 6.1 (Beta) claims to have better PDF support:
http://wwws.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/beta/index.html

Staroffice opinions

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Mon, 31 Mar 2003 01:45:42

> Running Solaris 9. Does anyone really use Staroffice?  A few people I
> know who have played with it have abandoned the idea of  using this
> product.  This was a few years ago, IRCC, version 5.2 or such.  Now that

> 6.0 is out, perhaps it is better.

> Basically, we have Corel Word Perfect but many of our customers are
> using MS Word and someone has the opinion here that Staroffice will
> provide a seamless and quick replacement for corel.  Now, when we run
> corel, we have macros that fire off and those will have to be
> rewritten...

> Star Office would have to be run in the background in a multi-user
> environment and would primarily be used to print word documents.

> Looking for opinions.

        No problem.  StarOffice is crap.  The only people who use it are the
anything but Microsoft (ABM) geeks.  Stick with Microsoft Office and
save the time and hassle of converting (and then repairing) documents.
As much as it pains many LINTEL kiddies, Microsoft Office is the de
facto standard.  It is what users are trained on and what they expect.
There is no good reason to use such a terrible product as StarOffice.

                Hope this helps,
                        Don

--
***************************   Q: How many frenchmen does it take
* Rev. Don McDonald, SCNA *      to defend Paris?

Staroffice opinions

Post by GreyClou » Mon, 31 Mar 2003 04:16:35

> > Running Solaris 9. Does anyone really use Staroffice?  A few people I
> > know who have played with it have abandoned the idea of  using this
> > product.  This was a few years ago, IRCC, version 5.2 or such.  Now that

> > 6.0 is out, perhaps it is better.

> > Basically, we have Corel Word Perfect but many of our customers are
> > using MS Word and someone has the opinion here that Staroffice will
> > provide a seamless and quick replacement for corel.  Now, when we run
> > corel, we have macros that fire off and those will have to be
> > rewritten...

> > Star Office would have to be run in the background in a multi-user
> > environment and would primarily be used to print word documents.

> > Looking for opinions.

>         No problem.  StarOffice is crap.  The only people who use it are the
> anything but Microsoft (ABM) geeks.  Stick with Microsoft Office and
> save the time and hassle of converting (and then repairing) documents.
> As much as it pains many LINTEL kiddies, Microsoft Office is the de
> facto standard.  It is what users are trained on and what they expect.
> There is no good reason to use such a terrible product as StarOffice.

That is of course that they can afford M$ office and the
multiple seat license costs.

Staroffice opinions

Post by Richard L. Hamilt » Mon, 31 Mar 2003 14:57:23

>> Running Solaris 9. Does anyone really use Staroffice?  A few people I
>> know who have played with it have abandoned the idea of  using this
>> product.  This was a few years ago, IRCC, version 5.2 or such.  Now that

>> 6.0 is out, perhaps it is better.

>> Basically, we have Corel Word Perfect but many of our customers are
>> using MS Word and someone has the opinion here that Staroffice will
>> provide a seamless and quick replacement for corel.  Now, when we run
>> corel, we have macros that fire off and those will have to be
>> rewritten...

>> Star Office would have to be run in the background in a multi-user
>> environment and would primarily be used to print word documents.

>> Looking for opinions.

>    No problem.  StarOffice is crap.  The only people who use it are the
> anything but Microsoft (ABM) geeks.  Stick with Microsoft Office and
> save the time and hassle of converting (and then repairing) documents.
> As much as it pains many LINTEL kiddies, Microsoft Office is the de
> facto standard.  It is what users are trained on and what they expect.
> There is no good reason to use such a terrible product as StarOffice.

Wrong answer.

Employees use what they're given, or they get fired.

--

Staroffice opinions

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 06:56:37

>>>Running Solaris 9. Does anyone really use Staroffice?  A few people I
>>>know who have played with it have abandoned the idea of  using this
>>>product.  This was a few years ago, IRCC, version 5.2 or such.  Now that

>>>6.0 is out, perhaps it is better.

>>>Basically, we have Corel Word Perfect but many of our customers are
>>>using MS Word and someone has the opinion here that Staroffice will
>>>provide a seamless and quick replacement for corel.  Now, when we run
>>>corel, we have macros that fire off and those will have to be
>>>rewritten...

>>>Star Office would have to be run in the background in a multi-user
>>>environment and would primarily be used to print word documents.

>>>Looking for opinions.

>>        No problem.  StarOffice is crap.  The only people who use it are the
>>anything but Microsoft (ABM) geeks.  Stick with Microsoft Office and
>>save the time and hassle of converting (and then repairing) documents.
>>As much as it pains many LINTEL kiddies, Microsoft Office is the de
>>facto standard.  It is what users are trained on and what they expect.
>>There is no good reason to use such a terrible product as StarOffice.

> That is of course that they can afford M$ office and the
> multiple seat license costs.

        You assume that the employer can afford to keep his soft-copy documents
in an incompatible format from his business partners.  Bad assumption,
my young friend.  Standards are good.  They increase productivity.

                Hope this helps,
                        Don

--

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 07:03:16

>>>Running Solaris 9. Does anyone really use Staroffice?

        [...snip...]

Quote:>>>Looking for opinions.
>>No problem.  StarOffice is crap.  The only people who use it are the
>>anything but Microsoft (ABM) geeks.  Stick with Microsoft Office and
>>save the time and hassle of converting (and then repairing) documents.
>>As much as it pains many LINTEL kiddies, Microsoft Office is the de
>>facto standard.  It is what users are trained on and what they expect.
>>There is no good reason to use such a terrible product as StarOffice.
> Wrong answer.

> Employees use what they're given, or they get fired.

        Bull.  Trained professionals are given the tools of their trade  or
they take their advanced skills elsewhere.  As much as it might pain you
to admit it, Office is the de facto standard application.  A business
that runs a substandard application like StarOffice is going to be
looked at by competent prospective employees as mickey mouse.
Professionals are always looking for resume points that will advance,
not hinder, their careers.  Let me know when the last time was that you
heard a radio adverti*t selling the virtues of paying money to take
classes in StarOffice.

        Happy to have cleared things up for you,
                        Don

--
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by GreyClou » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 07:56:52

> >>        No problem.  StarOffice is crap.  The only people who use it are the
> >>anything but Microsoft (ABM) geeks.  Stick with Microsoft Office and
> >>save the time and hassle of converting (and then repairing) documents.
> >>As much as it pains many LINTEL kiddies, Microsoft Office is the de
> >>facto standard.  It is what users are trained on and what they expect.
> >>There is no good reason to use such a terrible product as StarOffice.

> > That is of course that they can afford M$ office and the
> > multiple seat license costs.

>         You assume that the employer can afford to keep his soft-copy documents
> in an incompatible format from his business partners.  Bad assumption,
> my young friend.  Standards are good.  They increase productivity.

Only if you can assume that the employer can stay in
business without being driven out of business with the M$
tax.  Most businesses are now taking another hard look at M$
products and their inherent security problems and cost to
operate inside the M$ paradigm.  If the bottom line says you
are losing money then it becomes a moot point.
BTW... I'm in my 60's... but it is nice to get the 'young
friend' thrown my way tho.

Staroffice opinions

Post by Richard L. Hamilt » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 08:47:30

>    [...snip...]

>>>No problem.  StarOffice is crap.  The only people who use it are the
>>>anything but Microsoft (ABM) geeks.  Stick with Microsoft Office and
>>>save the time and hassle of converting (and then repairing) documents.
>>>As much as it pains many LINTEL kiddies, Microsoft Office is the de
>>>facto standard.  It is what users are trained on and what they expect.
>>>There is no good reason to use such a terrible product as StarOffice.

>> Wrong answer.

>> Employees use what they're given, or they get fired.

>    Bull.  Trained professionals are given the tools of their trade  or
> they take their advanced skills elsewhere.  As much as it might pain you
> to admit it, Office is the de facto standard application.  A business
> that runs a substandard application like StarOffice is going to be
> looked at by competent prospective employees as mickey mouse.
> Professionals are always looking for resume points that will advance,
> not hinder, their careers.  Let me know when the last time was that you
> heard a radio adverti*t selling the virtues of paying money to take
> classes in StarOffice.

No matter how large a percentage of people are wrong, they're still wrong.

Buying MS products is like paying protection to the mob - better to die
fighting them than to survive as their thrall.

--

Staroffice opinions

Post by Dennis Clark » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 09:16:04

Quote:> No matter how large a percentage of people are wrong, they're still wrong.

  I agree.  This is somewhat like seeing a really exceptional OS on the
  market as a nearly free download and then running some other bug ridden
  thing because everyone else does.

Quote:> Buying MS products is like paying protection to the mob - better to die
> fighting them than to survive as their thrall.

 is that like "better to fight the tax man than to be a slave" ??

 I realize this is off topic but I had to throw in my two cents worth.

Dennis

Staroffice opinions

Post by Michael Laajane » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 17:31:34

HI,

Quote:

>     No problem.  StarOffice is crap.  The only people who use it are the
> anything but Microsoft (ABM) geeks.  Stick with Microsoft Office and
> save the time and hassle of converting (and then repairing) documents.
> As much as it pains many LINTEL kiddies, Microsoft Office is the de
> facto standard.  It is what users are trained on and what they expect.
> There is no good reason to use such a terrible product as StarOffice.

How about USD 600 per user as a reason!

One thing very interresting is that most tech sawy users (usually guys)
have problems using a new tools when they are not part of the purchase
process, non-techninal ladies on the otherhand seams to be doing fine
with any tools as long as then get small intruduction on the tool and
why using the tool.

These are my own experience of installing, teaching and showing tools to
people.

Funny also, first(for me) it was the DEC machines, more or less closed
systems and then people shuted for open systems, so the UNIX WS come and
then it was (probably) to open so MS come with closed systems and where
will we go now :)

/michael