Solaris 2.6: lot of Ierrs

Post by Jens Elkne » Thu, 26 Feb 1998 04:00:00

HI,

just FYI, last week we discovered a lot of Ierrs on our Solaris 2.6
Workstations (try 'netstat -i' ) but not on the 2.5.1 workstations.
Since even an almost idle Ultra had have Input error rates up to 98%
(imagine, it says: I'm dropping 98% of all incoming pakets), I called
Sun and they said, yepp the NIC drivers are a little bit buggy.
Patches are already available but are NOT included in the recommanded
2.6 patch cluster, up to now! So you might call Sun and order the
following patches if you encounter the same problems on Solaris 2.6:

105742-01       le driver patch
105795-01       hme driver patch

Have fun,
Jens.
--
+---[ Jens Elkner ]------[ IVS, Otto-von-Guericke-Universitaet Magdeburg ]-+
| Am Uniplatz 5                                                            |

| 39106 Magdeburg   GERMANY       http://ivs.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~elkner   |

Solaris 2.6: lot of Ierrs

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Thu, 26 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>just FYI, last week we discovered a lot of Ierrs on our Solaris 2.6
>Workstations (try 'netstat -i' ) but not on the 2.5.1 workstations.
>Since even an almost idle Ultra had have Input error rates up to 98%
>(imagine, it says: I'm dropping 98% of all incoming pakets), I called
>Sun and they said, yepp the NIC drivers are a little bit buggy.
>Patches are already available but are NOT included in the recommanded
>2.6 patch cluster, up to now! So you might call Sun and order the
>following patches if you encounter the same problems on Solaris 2.6:
>105742-01   le driver patch
>105795-01   hme driver patch

Of course these patches are not included in the recommended patches.

The bug is in the computation of the numbers, *not* in the driver.

So perhaps you sleep easier now, but the we the drivers
work has not changed.

(Due to a coding error, the err packets counter was increased whenever
a broadcast or multicast packet came along  the system had no use for)

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Solaris 2.6: lot of Ierrs

Post by Jens Elkne » Fri, 27 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> >just FYI, last week we discovered a lot of Ierrs on our Solaris 2.6
> >Workstations (try 'netstat -i' ) but not on the 2.5.1 workstations.
> >Since even an almost idle Ultra had have Input error rates up to 98%
> >(imagine, it says: I'm dropping 98% of all incoming pakets), I called
> >Sun and they said, yepp the NIC drivers are a little bit buggy.
> >Patches are already available but are NOT included in the recommanded
> >2.6 patch cluster, up to now! So you might call Sun and order the
> >following patches if you encounter the same problems on Solaris 2.6:

> >105742-01      le driver patch
> >105795-01      hme driver patch

> Of course these patches are not included in the recommended patches.

But they should - a lot of our users (including me) got nervous seeing
these error rates ...

Quote:> The bug is in the computation of the numbers, *not* in the driver.

> So perhaps you sleep easier now, but the we the drivers
> work has not changed.

Yep. I already did after I had installed these patches ;-)

Quote:> (Due to a coding error, the err packets counter was increased whenever
> a broadcast or multicast packet came along  the system had no use for)

Sounds convinient for me, because the only traffic which idle
workstations receive in our subnet, are caused by multi- or
broadcasts.

Thanks for your explaination,
Jens.
--

Post by Griff Miller I » Fri, 06 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> [[ PLEASE DON'T SEND ME EMAIL COPIES OF POSTINGS ]]

> >just FYI, last week we discovered a lot of Ierrs on our Solaris 2.6
> >Workstations (try 'netstat -i' ) but not on the 2.5.1 workstations.
> >Since even an almost idle Ultra had have Input error rates up to 98%
> >(imagine, it says: I'm dropping 98% of all incoming pakets), I called
> >Sun and they said, yepp the NIC drivers are a little bit buggy.
> >Patches are already available but are NOT included in the recommanded
> >2.6 patch cluster, up to now! So you might call Sun and order the
> >following patches if you encounter the same problems on Solaris 2.6:

> >105742-01      le driver patch
> >105795-01      hme driver patch

There is also an hme patch for 2.5.1: 104212.

Quote:> Of course these patches are not included in the recommended patches.

> The bug is in the computation of the numbers, *not* in the driver.

> So perhaps you sleep easier now, but the we the drivers
> work has not changed.

> (Due to a coding error, the err packets counter was increased whenever
> a broadcast or multicast packet came along  the system had no use for)

The thing is, cosmetic or no, the bogus ierrs make it difficult to
tell if you have a real network problem or not. We wasted a lot of
time because of that bug.

--
Griff Miller               "The smallest minority on earth is the individual.
Senior Unix Sysadmin        Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to

1. Lot of Ierrs with netstat -i

Hi,

   We have lot of Ierrs with `netstat -i' under:

 # uname -a
 SunOS charon 5.6 Generic_105181-04 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-2

 # netstat -i -I hme0
 Name  Mtu  Net/Dest  Address      Ipkts  Ierrs Opkts  Oerrs Collis Queue
 hme0  1500 charon    charon      7232664 395600 1638884 0     67194  0

  At the boot time driver says:

        SUNW,hme0: Using Internal Transceiver
        Mar 31 14:49:49 charon unix: SUNW,hme0: 10 Mbps half-duplex Link Up

  Does anyone know which causes these input-erroes?

  Any suggestions?

Thank's

2. X.400 P7 and Linux

3. nestat -i showing lots of Ierrs (~10%)

4. msg

5. Why are lots of typedefs not defined unless __STDC__ == 0 on Solaris 2.6?

6. Queuing mail with sendmail+IDA

7. Lots of input errors hme Solaris 2.6

8. Mag DX1795

9. Solaris 2.6 X86 spends a lot of time recognizing the configuration

10. can't read Solaris 2.6 x86 hard disk on Solaris 2.6 Ultra-1 ?!?

11. Upgrade from Solaris 2.6 with Volume Manager 2.6 to Solaris 8 with Volume Manager 3.2

12. Why are lots of typedefs not defined unless __STDC__ == 0 on 2.6?

13. Trade: Solaris SysAdmin2 2.6 course for SysAdmin1 2.6 course