Chips & Tech 65550 driver mystery

Post by Mike Wils » Wed, 08 Jan 1997 04:00:00

When activating the C&T 65550 display driver from DU6, OpenWindows
gets all screwed-up; it seems like most screen elements are still
there but displayed in black, eg:
- desktop background (normally blue) and window background (normally
  white or gray) are displayed black
- buttons and window corner handles are displayed correctly

This all ends up in quite a messed-up display (very hard to navigate).
The driver only supports one bit plane depth (8 bit = 256 colors) but
as I have 2MB video RAM it should be OK.
How can I debug this, or configure it to do the right thing?

Environment is:
- Solaris 2.5_x86, DU6
- Everex StepNote 5, 40MB RAM
- C&T 65550, 2MB
Results from my tests with different drivers and OSs:
        Std VGA         C&T 640x480 C&T 800x600
Win95   ok              ok              ok (24 bit)
Sol2.5  ok              strange         strange

--
Mike

Post by Steve Dolio » Wed, 08 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: When activating the C&T 65550 display driver from DU6, OpenWindows
: gets all screwed-up; it seems like most screen elements are still
: there but displayed in black, eg:
: - desktop background (normally blue) and window background (normally
:   white or gray) are displayed black
: - buttons and window corner handles are displayed correctly

: This all ends up in quite a messed-up display (very hard to navigate).
: The driver only supports one bit plane depth (8 bit = 256 colors) but
: as I have 2MB video RAM it should be OK.
: How can I debug this, or configure it to do the right thing?

make it watch a spike lee movie perhaps? ;0

i have just gone through days of hell dealing with a C&T 65550 set, 2MB of
RAM on the card....

SUN has a note regarding this, perhaps it is only a footnote on the HCL.
many video cards use the C&T chipset, and most of them work fine, but some
don't.  it would be nice if they weren't quite so cryptic.

i am running a brand x laptop, so perhaps my problem lies there.  but it
really seems tied up in the display.

i chose the C&T 65550 (800x600 SVGA Panel),
screen res of 800x600 and virtual screen res of 800x600
8 bit color depth.
i chose the LCD NOTEBOOK 31.5 (or is it 33.5) SVGA display.  i now get
clean boots when i turn it on in the morning, and the CDE display displays
just as it should.  if i bring the system down and turn it on again, i
tned to have to wait 8-10 minutes for the display to "right itself".  this
happens by a message flashing on my boot sequence saying, starting dt
login....then i get a grey screen.  the disk spins for a while.  then i
get the starting dt message agian...then i get a gray screen, this process
repeats until the display shows as expected.

i tinkered around with various displays, the genereic 640x480 and others.
my system gained stability after i did a kdmconfig -cf as opposed to a
kdmconfig -c (after running kdmconfig -u).

good luck with it.  i am trying to hound my vendor regarding just who the
maker of the card with the C&T 65550 for my notebook is, so i will perhoas
get a card made by C&T themselves, if they do that.

steve doliov

Post by Mike Wils » Thu, 09 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> : When activating the C&T 65550 display driver from DU6, OpenWindows
> : gets all screwed-up; it seems like most screen elements are still
> : there but displayed in black, eg:
> : - desktop background (normally blue) and window background (normally
> :   white or gray) are displayed black
> : - buttons and window corner handles are displayed correctly

> : This all ends up in quite a messed-up display (very hard to navigate).
> : The driver only supports one bit plane depth (8 bit = 256 colors) but
> : as I have 2MB video RAM it should be OK.
> : How can I debug this, or configure it to do the right thing?

> make it watch a spike lee movie perhaps? ;0

Or at least be able to display one... ;-)

Quote:> i have just gone through days of hell dealing with a C&T 65550 set, 2MB of
> RAM on the card....

> SUN has a note regarding this, perhaps it is only a footnote on the HCL.
> many video cards use the C&T chipset, and most of them work fine, but some
> don't.  it would be nice if they weren't quite so cryptic.

Interesting... quite strange that the Sun driver is so dependent on the rest
of the hardware, and just not the chip. My C&T Win95 driver works just fine
for both C&T machines I've tried.

I didn't see the note - do you mean a specific note on 65550, or just a general
"no promises" clause? Can you point it out?

Quote:> i am running a brand x laptop, so perhaps my problem lies there.  but it
> really seems tied up in the display.

Yeah, the driver is probably customized for Toshiba Tecra 7xx as they use the
chip. My machine is sold under several names; Everex StepNote, DGC EuroNote...

Quote:> i chose the C&T 65550 (800x600 SVGA Panel),
> screen res of 800x600 and virtual screen res of 800x600
> 8 bit color depth.
> i chose the LCD NOTEBOOK 31.5 (or is it 33.5) SVGA display.

Exactly the same as my settings.

Quote:> clean boots when i turn it on in the morning, and the CDE display displays
> just as it should.  if i bring the system down and turn it on again, i
> tned to have to wait 8-10 minutes for the display to "right itself"...

<snip>

My problem doesn't seem to be dependent on reboots or similar events. It
fails every time...

Quote:> my system gained stability after i did a kdmconfig -cf as opposed to a
> kdmconfig -c (after running kdmconfig -u).

Shouldn't make any difference. If I remember correctly, the -f flag just skips
looking for driver info on the network so it generally just makes kdmconfig
start quicker.

Quote:> good luck with it.  i am trying to hound my vendor regarding just who the
> maker of the card with the C&T 65550 for my notebook is, so i will perhoas
> get a card made by C&T themselves, if they do that.

Aren't the graphics chips usually a part of the notebook motherboards? If I
don't succeed with this I think I will probably have to get another notebook
(goodbye $$$ :-( ).
Have you Sun-folks any suggestions on what to do?

Cheers
--
Mike

Chips & Tech 65550 driver mystery

Post by Mike Wils » Fri, 10 Jan 1997 04:00:00

<snip>

Quote:> i have just gone through days of hell dealing with a C&T 65550 set, 2MB of
> RAM on the card....

> SUN has a note regarding this, perhaps it is only a footnote on the HCL.
> many video cards use the C&T chipset, and most of them work fine, but some
> don't.  it would be nice if they weren't quite so cryptic.

<snip>

It's really annoying that there are "hidden limitations" to the drivers.

When I bought my notebook I thought I checked everything; got the graphic
chip type from the manufacturer and checked with the Video Update
Compatibility List. I also tested a startup of Solaris installation to see
that the OS worked (this also tested VGA capabilities).
I regret now that I didn't bring along the Video DU to the shop and tried
that as well before buying... (how many tests should you have to make before
knowing if a machine is compatible with the Sun drivers! :-( )

I have seen other notebooks that use the NeoMagic 2070/90 or Cirrus Logic 7548
chips. Anybody knows if these drivers also have quirks, or is it safer to get
one of those notebooks?

--
Mike

Post by Joe Picone - The Terminal Ma » Sat, 11 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> I have seen other notebooks that use the NeoMagic 2070/90 or Cirrus Logic 7548
> chips. Anybody knows if these drivers also have quirks, or is it safer to get
> one of those notebooks?

The 7548 is "sort-of" supported by using the Compaq Aramada choice
(for laptops at least). I have it in my Samsung Sens 810.

It seems to work, though every now and then, the fonts get messed
up and you have to refresh the screen.

As someone who is sitting on about $750 of useless PCMCIA stuff
because of driver problems, I would strongly recommend two things:

 - don't by a machine that can't use a floppy and CD simultaneously
 - stick with the HCL and/or name-brand machines (Toshibas, etc.)

If your driver isn't supported, put in a request for support
via Sun's web page...

-Joe Picone

1. Chips & Tech 65550 Grapics Chip!

I'm using a Panasonic CF-25 laptop which uses the Chips and Technologies
65550 Video chip.  The laptop is running SCO Openserver 5.0.2.
Currently I have it set up to use the IBM VGA driver; however, this
limits me to 640x480 at 16 colors.  SCO supports (has a driver for) the
Chips 65550 (I know this because the driver is labeled as the 655x0 in
the scoadmin program and Chips verifies that this is the driver for that
chip set).  The problem is that when I try to use this driver I get
garbage on my screen.  It doesn't work in layman terms.  Help!  I use
Linux primarily and my experience with XFree86 tells me that this is a
problem related to the monitor's refresh rate.

Thanks,

Tom Moulton

2. Can this be done without C.

3. REPOST: [Debug log included now!] XWindows only starts up in 1024x728 mode?????????

4. Chips & Tech. 65550 gfx card and Red Hat 5.2

5. UK Pund sterling sign.

6. Chips & Tech. 65550 XF86 wierdness

7. freebsd + linux + NIS = ???

8. Help chip&tecno 65550 & sco

9. X on a toshiba 650ct (has a chips 65550 in it i believe)

10. Chips & Tech 65555 video chip supported?

11. XFree86 SVGA Driver for Chips&Tech?

12. Chips & Tech 64300 chipset driver?