Solaris 2.2 hangs

Post by Eric S. » Tue, 03 Aug 1993 08:12:34

A solaris 2.2 machine usually hangs when it is left running Openwindow and
the screen saver has been activated (xset s on) for a long time.  The
* only happens after office hours and before the next morning.  So
when I come to check the workstation each morning, the screen is dark (as in
screen saver mode) and no matter how I move the mouse and what I type to the
keyboard, the machine does not respond.  Also I observe that the disk for
swapping is constantly working.  I cannot log on to the machine from the
outside though it is "alive" when I ping it.  Although the screen is dark, I
can reboot the machine by typing "Stop A" and "boot" (I didn't see what I
typed, but it always worked).  I don't understand what happens; have anyone
out there seen similar problem before?  Please help.

Eric

Solaris 2.2 hangs

Post by Theo Gjalte » Tue, 03 Aug 1993 17:05:45

We experienced the same problem, and also posted it to the net. The* was
caused by a memory leak in the hsfs driver. Each night cron removes old .nfs* files
and also scans mounted CD's => End Of Memory !

Solutions are:

1) remove the CD's each night
2) add to the crontab of root at the end of the 'find' line:
        -fstype hsfs -prune
3) apply patch 101028-01, which can probably be obtained by:
        thor.ece.uc.edu:/pub/sun-faq/Solaris2.2-patches

My thanks for the solving our problem goes to:

Theo Gjaltema

Solaris 2.2 hangs

Post by Hansjuergen Pa » Wed, 04 Aug 1993 01:09:53

Hello netWorld,

>>        A solaris 2.2 machine usually hangs when it is left running Openwindow and
>>        the screen saver has been activated (xset s on) for a long time.  The
>>        hanging only happens after office hours and before the next morning.  So
>>        when I come to check the workstation each morning, the screen is dark (as in
>>        screen saver mode) and no matter how I move the mouse and what I type to the
>>        keyboard, the machine does not respond.  Also I observe that the disk for
>>        swapping is constantly working.  I cannot log on to the machine from the
>>        outside though it is "alive" when I ping it.  Although the screen is dark, I
>>        can reboot the machine by typing "Stop A" and "boot" (I didn't see what I
>>        typed, but it always worked).  I don't understand what happens; have anyone
>>        out there seen similar problem before?  Please help.

I don't think that it's a Solaris 2.2 problem. We had the some trouble two or
three times with SunOS 4.1.3, olwm under X11R5 on SPARCstation 1+.

Workaround: unknown to us...

One question: are you also running NeWSprint and the SPARCprinter stuff?

Best regards,
                Hansjuergen Paul

---
| Hansjuergen Paul                      | Institut Arbeit und Technik   |
| Tel.  : +49-209 / 17 07-229, -222, -0 | Wissenschaftszentrum NRW      |
| FAX   : +49-209 / 17 07-245           | Florastrasse 26-28            |

Solaris 2.2 hangs

Post by Guy Harr » Wed, 04 Aug 1993 07:18:40

Quote:>We experienced the same problem, and also posted it to the net. The* was
>caused by a memory leak in the hsfs driver.

That same memory leak is in the Solaris 1.0.1 and Solaris 1.1 HSFS file
systems as well (the code allocates buffers to hold symbolic link
information, but doesn't free them when it's done with them).

The Solaris 1.0.1 and 1.1 HSFS also get confused by character and block
special files on a CD-ROM; as a result, you may be forced to reboot your
system to unmount an ISO 9660+Rock Ridge CD-ROM, if it contains such
special files and if your system has looked at them (even if it only did
a "stat()" on them).  I don't know if the Solaris 2.x HSFS code, for any
value of "x", has that problem as well.

Solaris 2.2 hangs

Post by Michael Snoswe » Fri, 06 Aug 1993 11:15:18

>Hello netWorld,

>>>    A solaris 2.2 machine usually hangs when it is left running Openwindow and
>>>    the screen saver has been activated (xset s on) for a long time.  The
>>>    hanging only happens after office hours and before the next morning.  So
>>>    when I come to check the workstation each morning, the screen is dark (as in
>>>    screen saver mode) and no matter how I move the mouse and what I type to the
>>>    keyboard, the machine does not respond.  Also I observe that the disk for
>>>    swapping is constantly working.  I cannot log on to the machine from the
>>>    outside though it is "alive" when I ping it.  Although the screen is dark, I
>>>    can reboot the machine by typing "Stop A" and "boot" (I didn't see what I
>>>    typed, but it always worked).  I don't understand what happens; have anyone
>>>    out there seen similar problem before?  Please help.

>I don't think that it's a Solaris 2.2 problem. We had the some trouble two or
>three times with SunOS 4.1.3, olwm under X11R5 on SPARCstation 1+.

>Workaround: unknown to us...

We have exactly the same problem on a SPARC 1+. We rang the Sun AnswerLine and they
told us that a patch is available that fixes this *known* problem (ie it is a Sol 2.2
bug). They are mailing it to us (this was yesterday) so I'll post a follow up of the patch number(s) and how it goes.

cheers
        Michael Snoswell

Vision Systems Limited                  +61 8 343 0627
South Australia                         "Intelligent, witty quote"

Solaris 2.2 hangs

Post by Edwin Ro » Fri, 06 Aug 1993 17:55:27

>>Hello netWorld,

[stuff deleted]

>>I don't think that it's a Solaris 2.2 problem. We had the some trouble two or
>>three times with SunOS 4.1.3, olwm under X11R5 on SPARCstation 1+.

>>Workaround: unknown to us...
>We have exactly the same problem on a SPARC 1+. We rang the Sun AnswerLine and they
>told us that a patch is available that fixes this *known* problem (ie it is a Sol 2.2
>bug). They are mailing it to us (this was yesterday) so I'll post a follow up of the patch number(s) and how it goes.
>cheers
>    Michael Snoswell

A possible cause of this would be the following:

In the cron file, a job is started at night to rm certain kinds of files. This
is done at the line starting with

find ...

The combination of being logged in at night, and having a cdrom-player attached
to your machine, and having mounted the cdrom (either explicitly or by the
volume management daemon), will cause this 'find' to search your cdrom. This
causes the system to hang completely. It is indeed a bug, but besides getting
the patch, there are a few workarounds:

1. change the line in your cron file so that it will not search on hsfs file
systems;
2. make sure there is no cdrom mounted.

Good Luck!

--

-- West Consulting bv,  P.O. Box 3318,     2601 DH  Delft

1. solaris 2.2 hangs on SIGURG upon receiving an OOB-msg

Hi, we are running 5.2 Generic on our sparc 10 (sun4m) with
the foll. patches applied:
100985-06
101014-05
101018-06

Our application relies on receiving a SIGURG signal in response
to an out-of-band message on a socket. Solaris 2.2 hangs when
we try to do this. Using truss/dbx we can see that it sometimes is
in the signal handler and usually after processing the OOB msg
that this happens.

This is a MAJOR bug, and I'm surprised that it hasn't been fixed
yet.

Any suggestions to debug/fix this would be enormously appreciated.

-Sundar

2. pppd some questions about

3. nightly Solaris 2.2 hang can be cured by hsfs patch

4. compilation error

5. SUMMARY: "find" in root crontab hangs Solaris 2.2

6. OT: Hollerith Cards

7. tcp/ip hangs on Solaris 2.2

8. /dev/sound/0[ctl] permissions?

9. Solaris 2.2 and NFS hang.

10. audioplay hangs on Solaris 2.2

11. Solaris 2.2: incoming/outgoing connections hanging?

12. "find" in root crontab hangs Solaris 2.2

13. Solaris 2.2 binaries running on Solaris 2.1