How to backup to a Seagate Tape drive on Solaris x86?

How to backup to a Seagate Tape drive on Solaris x86?

Post by Sam Nickerso » Thu, 27 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I hope someone out ther can help me on this one. I have installed Solaris
x86 on a Gateway and all is well. Now I need to back the sucker up to the
tape drive. The system has an internal Seagate Travan CTT800S SCSI tape
drive. How do I back up to this thing? Should it have rrecognised the
device during the install of Solaris? I think I will settle for using TAR
to back to the tape unless there is a better option in Solaris but I am in
need of the comand to do so. I am teaching myself Unix admin on the fly
with help from those on the net so I appreciate the help and patience.
Thanks for your time,
Sam Nickerson

Post by Stephen M. Forina » Thu, 27 Nov 1997 04:00:00

: tape drive. The system has an internal Seagate Travan CTT800S SCSI tape
: drive. How do I back up to this thing? Should it have rrecognised the

You should have /dev/rmt that contains:
0     0bn   0cb   0cn   0hb   0hn   0lb   0ln   0mb   0mn   0u    0ubn
0b    0c    0cbn  0h    0hbn  0l    0lbn  0m    0mbn  0n    0ub   0un

The only ones I really care about are 0 and 0n.  To back up to your tape
with tar and not have the tape rewind when you're done, you'll want to
use something like:
tar cvf /dev/rmt/0 . (plucked straight from the tar man page)
if you don't want it to rewind (i.e. so you can put another tar file
after it), use /dev/rmt/0n.

To restore later, you'll have to use the mt command with something like
mt fsf 6
to forward space over 6 EOF markers (assuming the tape has been
rewound).

Once you get the hang of this and you are looking to find something else
to waste time on, look at the man pages for ufsdump and ufsrestore...

--
Stephen M. Forinash

-Not connected to reality, only the Internet.

1. problem with Seagate DDS4 tape drive / Solaris 8 x86

Solaris hangs during installation if tape drive is connected to LVD bus
of Adaptec 29160N with following error messages:

cadp160_IobSpecial: cadp160_poll_request timeout
cadp160_IobSpecial: cadp160_attach_PAC_request timeout

After repeating these messages few times kernel didn't recognize
anything connected to SCSI bus even after reboot. We had to physically
disconnect power supply to cure this state.

When we disconnected tape drive we were able to install Solaris
normally. But if we connect the drive again, we get same messages as
above and Solaris won't boot again. :-(

System configuration: Intel P4/2,4GHz; S845WD1-E; 3x Quantum Atlas 160
36GB; Seagate Scorpion 40 DDS4 drive; Solaris 8 with recent recommended
patches cluster applied.

Does someone use similar DDS4 drive successfully in Solaris 8 x86
environment?

Peter Lacus

  lacus.vcf
< 1K Download

2. Kmail pop filters question

3. How do I backup to an seagate internal atapi tr4 tape drive?

4. Mounting an extended Win98 partition

5. Tape backup on a Seagate Internal Drive

6. ICQ in Linux problem ....

7. How do I backup to an seagate atapi tr4 tape drive?

8. utree

9. Does Seagate TR4 Travan SCSI tape backup drive work with Linux?

10. tape backup drive SEAGATE CONNER CTT8000-S

11. Tape backup on Solaris 2.5.1 x86

12. Tape Backup for Solaris x86

13. Seagate TapeStor Tape backup