No Serial Ports!

Post by gkrani » Sat, 16 Jun 2001 19:08:58

You have an Netra T1 with Solaris 2.6 installed. And when you make
Admintool -Browse- Serial Ports you receive
Admintool Error
list serial port failed

and when you go to /dev/term/ you see nothing!

I tried to copy the link files from an other Server but i can't!
What must i fix to have serial port access! Do i must install some patches?

I don't know why i don't have any serial port!

No Serial Ports!

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Sun, 17 Jun 2001 04:47:30

> You have an Netra T1 with Solaris 2.6 installed. And when you make
> Admintool -Browse- Serial Ports you receive
> Admintool Error
> list serial port failed

> and when you go to /dev/term/ you see nothing!

> I tried to copy the link files from an other Server but i can't!

No, you can't. It's a bad thing to do.

Quote:> What must i fix to have serial port access! Do i must install some patches?

> I don't know why i don't have any serial port!

Do other Netra T1's at your site have serial ports?

If physical serial ports exist on the system, then they will be detected
unless they're physically broken. This is not junky "Plug-n-Pray" PC hardware
we're talking about, where you have to play slot hockey and musical drivers to
get things to work.

No Serial Ports!

Post by Gregg » Sun, 17 Jun 2001 23:55:54

> > You have an Netra T1 with Solaris 2.6 installed. And when you make
> > Admintool -Browse- Serial Ports you receive
> > Admintool Error
> > list serial port failed

> > and when you go to /dev/term/ you see nothing!

> > I tried to copy the link files from an other Server but i can't!

> No, you can't. It's a bad thing to do.

> > What must i fix to have serial port access! Do i must install some patches?

> > I don't know why i don't have any serial port!

> Do other Netra T1's at your site have serial ports?

> If physical serial ports exist on the system, then they will be detected
> unless they're physically broken. This is not junky "Plug-n-Pray" PC hardware
> we're talking about, where you have to play slot hockey and musical drivers to
> get things to work.

Would he need to do a boot -r or a makedev to create the device files?
Something like the tapes command.

No Serial Ports!

Post by Stefan Berglu » Mon, 18 Jun 2001 01:01:12

>  Would he need to do a boot -r or a makedev to create the device files?
>  Something like the tapes command.

drvconfig and ports should do the trick.
If the devices isn't present in /dev/cua after ports something is
broken.

1. Check what the serial driver is called:

If you have a working Netra T1 do a ls -l in /dev/cua.
On a E3000 it looks like:

Compare the path names to the faulty machine. If this looks OK and it
still won't work you are either using the wrong serial comm parameters
or the port is broken.

2. Check to see if the package is installed and the driver is where
it's supposed to be:

grep for the driver name and kernel in /var/sadm/install/contents to
find out which package the driver belongs to and the pathname it has
(probably in /kernel/drv or /platform/sun4u/kernel/drv). Compare this to
the faulty machine and install that package if necessary, check point 1
again.
If the package is installed but it won't work anyway check /etc/name_to_major
to see that the driver is listed, if not add it with a uniq number and
redo drvconfig and ports.

3. Check for reported errors:

If this looks OK check /var/adm/messages and dmesg if it has reported
any errors for the device.

If the port is broken it's time to call Sun, you do have a support
contract don't you?

4. Get real:

Ditch Admintool, it will only try to hide the real truth from you.
If you can handle the truth that is... ;)

--
                        /Stefan

Life - the ultimate practical joke

No Serial Ports!

Post by Greg Andre » Tue, 19 Jun 2001 14:25:08

>You have an Netra T1 with Solaris 2.6 installed. And when you make
>Admintool -Browse- Serial Ports you receive
>Admintool Error
>list serial port failed

>and when you go to /dev/term/ you see nothing!

>I tried to copy the link files from an other Server but i can't!
>What must i fix to have serial port access! Do i must install some patches?

>I don't know why i don't have any serial port!

Call Sun and describe the problem.  There is a patch that you need
to install, then perform a boot -r, in order to have the device
files for the serial ports created.

  -Greg
--

I have a map of the United States that's actual size
                 -- Steven Wright

1. Changing Serial Nos using 'brand'

Hi all,

I'm involved in using one machine to install SCO unix on hot swappable
disks. In order to do this I need change the serial number of a machine
so that each machine can have a unique ID. The disk will then be
installed on a new machine and the serial number will identify the
machine with the serial ID.

What are the files that need to be "brand"ed in order to change the
serial number/activation key pairing ?
Tried files in /etc/perms plus /etc/perms/bundle to no avail.
Using "uname -X" to see current serial number - is this the correct
command?

I'd appreciate if someone could get back to me on this one ...

Thanks in advance ...

Ray Fallon

Address : Nortel Ireland Ltd.,
Galway, Ireland.

2. Linux 2.0.x PPP problems.

3. serial port on v490 and Serial port on StorEdge 3510

4. Returned mail: Host unknown

5. Serial port to serial port copying software

6. truncated filenames in directory listing

7. Send traffic from one serial port out to another serial port

8. RH Linux 8/Windows XP (computer lab environment) guides

9. Serial port to serial port with null modem cable

10. Serial port - to - serial port networking

11. serial console - lilo serial= no serial port input

12. devfs + PCI serial card = no extra serial ports (probably uns upported card)

13. devfs + PCI serial card = no extra serial ports