Solaris as printer server

Post by Daniel Brunne » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

Does someone have any experience by using a Solaris machine as an
enterprise print server. I mean that all the other machines (NT, VMS,
Other Unix boxes) are passing through the Solaris print server. Which
product should we use ?

Regards,
--

Schweizerisches Bundesgericht, Av. du Tribunal fdral 29, 1000 Lausanne
14

Solaris as printer server

Post by martha starke » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 04:00:00

As long as your print clients (NT, VMS, whatever) can utilize lpr/lpd
style printing, it should work fine.  For NT, that means loading and
enabling a protocol/service that is not installed by default.  I don't
know about Win2000.

Post by Gary Mil » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 04:00:00

>As long as your print clients (NT, VMS, whatever) can utilize lpr/lpd
>style printing, it should work fine.

>> Does someone have any experience by using a Solaris machine as an
>> enterprise print server. I mean that all the other machines (NT, VMS,
>> Other Unix boxes) are passing ?through? the Solaris print server. Which=
>> product should we use ?

We use a Solaris computer as a print server about 80 network-attached
printers.  Look for `lp-magic' at http://mail.cc.umanitoba.ca/source/
for more information.

Note that network printing with the lpr/lpd protocol works best when
the machine that spools the print jobs to a queue is also the machine
that drives the printer directly.  If the printer, for example, has
its own print queue, then print jobs will seem to disappear into the
printer as soon as they are spooled, leading to user confusion.

--
-Gary Mills-    -Unix Support-    -U of M Academic Computing and Networking-

1. Solaris printer server printing garbage to all printers.

Hi Folks,
        Before I start please let me know if this is the correct
        newsgroup to send to.

        I ahve a ss1+ running 2.5.1, used as a central print server.

        It runs the Sun supplied lpsched. Printers are all
        network printers, Mainly ~30 HP jetDirect, some Tektronics
        and some going via Emulex print servers.

        All runs well, except sometimes all the printers
        suddenly start printing kak,

        ie.

\033%-12345X\c

(rest of line runs off page as it doesn't worfwrap)

The only solution at this point is to reboot. Does anyone recognise
this error message or point me in the right direction?

Please feel free to email direct or post to the group.p

Kind regards,

Simon.

Simon J Loewenthal      -       ESO Helpdesk

www.eso.org/it               -       Karl-Schwarzschild-Strasse 2
++49-89-320-06333       -       D-85748 Garching bei Munchen
                        -       Germany

2. setting variabele in function

3. Q: NT printer server error / solaris 2.8

4. 2-line command prompt?

5. Printer Server - Solaris 2.4

6. Partition problem..You last hope

7. how to set Solaris 7 to use NT printer server??

8. DOS PC to the 'Net via Linux box's SLIP?

9. Problem printing from Solaris to LPD printer server.

10. Printer Server - Solaris 2.4 - Help

11. Using Linksys network printer servers with Solaris 2.5.1

12. Solaris 2.5.1 printer server..

13. Installing same set of 4.1.3 printer servers on many solaris clients