freeware DHCP server?

Post by Dave Robbin » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 04:08:27

I'm running Solaris 7.  I do not particularly like the DHCP server that
Sun provides now with Sol7 because, as I understand it, it doesn't allow
me to use the hostnames from /etc/hosts (which I have been using all along).

I also do not like the public domain DHCP server software that I *am*
using because it doesn't really seem to be dynamic in the sense that it
keeps a one-to-one correspondence between the IP address and the
ethernet address.  I could be wrong about this since I haven't fully
investigated it even though I've been running CMU's DHCP 3.3.7 for some years.

My wish is to have a DHCP server that hears requests from clients and
upon receiving an ethernet address from the client and matching it to
one in the server's database provides an IP address from a select set of
IP addresses (e.g. 128.111.108.21 through 128.111.108.249).

Thus, a client could have 128.1111.108.100 on one day and
128.111.108.200 on another.

Thanks for any URLs or other help.

Dave

freeware DHCP server?

Post by David Highle » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 08:28:39

> I'm running Solaris 7.  I do not particularly like the DHCP server that
> Sun provides now with Sol7 because, as I understand it, it doesn't allow
> me to use the hostnames from /etc/hosts (which I have been using all along).

> I also do not like the public domain DHCP server software that I *am*
> using because it doesn't really seem to be dynamic in the sense that it
> keeps a one-to-one correspondence between the IP address and the
> ethernet address.  I could be wrong about this since I haven't fully
> investigated it even though I've been running CMU's DHCP 3.3.7 for some years.

> My wish is to have a DHCP server that hears requests from clients and
> upon receiving an ethernet address from the client and matching it to
> one in the server's database provides an IP address from a select set of
> IP addresses (e.g. 128.111.108.21 through 128.111.108.249).

http://www.isc.org/

Quote:

--

Regards,

David Highley                 Phone: (206) 669-0081
Highley Recommended, Inc.       FAX: (253) 838-8509

Federal Way, WA 98023-7732      WEB: http://www.highley-recommended.com

freeware DHCP server?

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 23:46:17

> I also do not like the public domain DHCP server software that I *am*
> using because it doesn't really seem to be dynamic in the sense that it
> keeps a one-to-one correspondence between the IP address and the
> ethernet address.  I could be wrong about this since I haven't fully
> investigated it even though I've been running CMU's DHCP 3.3.7 for some years.

I'm sure there's a setting you can change. Perhaps shorten the length of the
lease?

You won't see true randomness unless you have more hosts than available IP
addresses.

Quote:> My wish is to have a DHCP server that hears requests from clients and
> upon receiving an ethernet address from the client and matching it to
> one in the server's database provides an IP address from a select set of
> IP addresses (e.g. 128.111.108.21 through 128.111.108.249).

> Thus, a client could have 128.1111.108.100 on one day and
> 128.111.108.200 on another.

That's how DHCP is supposed to work, though if you have leases set for some
ridiculously long length of time, the server will remember the IP-to-MAC
mapping.

1. RedHat GNU freeware or limit freeware...

You certainly don't need to buy licences!

The point of the GPL is, roughly, that you can't take free software and
make it proprietary [1] - so if your proprietary use of GPLed software
includes linking it with software which you don't place under a
compatible license, then sorry, no go. This is needed to make sure free
software doesn't get subverted into being non-free.

However, there are no restrictions on the environments in which you can
*use* GPLed software. If you want to use it in your business, that's
fine.

[1] Note that "commercial" is not the same as "proprietary". The
    confusion is common, but "commercial" means that your software is
    not free as in free beer, whereas "proprietary" means that your
    software is not free as in free speech. See http://www.gnu.org/ for
    more information.

--

"Is this legal?"
"That question is OFF-TOPIC here." - alt.binaries.cracks FAQ

2. upgrading/adding a 2nd drive

3. DHCP Linux Client at NT-DHCP Server

4. VisualWave

5. DHCP: How do I configure DHCP server dynamically?????

6. Linux boot proc hangs with a SATA disk activated in BIOS

7. Sunray as DHCP client to NT DHCP server

8. gpm not working.

9. 3com 905b gets Ip address by using DHCP from NT DHCP server

10. Redhat 9.0 dhcp client & windows 2003 dhcp server: dynamic dns update

11. Setting up a linux dhcp client with a win98 dhcp server??

12. trouble with AIX dhcp client / Cisco dhcp server

13. How DHCP Client can auto set a static IP, when connect to DHCP Server fail ?