Configuring host to access XEROX N40

Post by joeh » Tue, 02 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Joe

> Try an LPR command to the IP Address using "raw", "passthru", or "ps" as the
> queue name for the N40. Those 3 queue names should be on all the N24/32/40
> printers LPD server.

> Example of how I send ascii text files from WinNT:
> lpr <filename.txt> -S<IP Address> -Praw
> lpr <filename.txt> -S<IP Address> -Ppassthru
> lpr <filename.txt> -S<IP Address> -Pps

> Believe it or not you can find the queue names under the WinNT TCP/IP
> install instructions rather than the UNIX setup. Thats because the setup is
> done via LPR from WinNT and it just gives you the default queue names to
> use. The UNIX instructions assumes you are using SunOS or Solaris and the
> provided utility which does not work for SCO.

> Sad thing is you have to work for Xerox for many years before you can know
> where to find the info in the manuals. <smirk>

> The below link is to a PDF file that might help with the SCO setup. It is
> for the Document Centre products which have a LPD queue name of "lp" only
> but you might find it helpfull. The setup should be similar if you are going
> to use one of the above N40 queue names.
> http://www.xerox.com/downloads/dc99cc18.pdf

> Good Luck!!
> Let me know if it helped.

> GS1000

> > Subject:
> >              Configuring host to access XEROX N40
> >        Date:
> >              Wed, 27 Oct 1999 11:33:28 -0400

> > SCO version
> > System = SCO_SV
> > Node = xxx
> > Release = 3.2v5.0.4
> > KernelID = 97/09/03
> > Machine = Pentium Pro
> > BusType = EISA

> > Connectivity is ok
> > However, when testing a print page,
> > "connection refused"

> > To me, this usually indicates an
> > authentication error on another
> > UNIX host and is mended by adding
> > host/ip to /etc/lp.hosts

> > However, this is not a UNIX host but
> > a XEROX N40 printer with a static
> > ip address, netmask, etc.  LPR option
> > on the printer is enabled.  I didn't see
> > any other variables.  The XEROX documentation
> > section for UNIX was very, very brief.
> > For now, i just want to test ascii printing.

> > Has anyone come across this with Xerox Network
> > Printers?
> > Please advise.  Again, the model is  in the
> > "N" series - N40 Docuprint.
> > TIA
> > Joe
> > --

This failed on printernames "lp", "raw", "passthru", "ps"
The N40 is running http, so i can actually open a browser to
the machine just by specifying the ip address.  The LP option
on the printer is enabled.  Xerox has the admin password to
the printer so it's difficult for me to see anything more than
what a regular user can see; i don't see ANY printernames in
the configuration.  What can this mean?  In UNIX, you need a
hostname AND a printername.
Anyone who can shed light on this, many thanks
Joe
--
Disclaimer: opinions expressed my own and not representative of my employers

Configuring host to access XEROX N40

Post by joeh » Wed, 03 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Anyone who can shed light on this, many thanks
> Joe
> --
Someone responded,
> I didn't see your original post. I once experienced
> a problem in configuring a Xerox N32 printer as a
> remote printer. It turned out that the Xerox lpd
> port is at a non-standard port number; not port
> 515 as you'd expect. I think it was at port 2000
> or 2001 but can't remember exactly. You can try
> telneting to the printer at ports between 2000
> to 2015 or so. The connection that just sits
> there will be the port you want.

3 questions:
[a] Does anyone know anything about this, which ports it listens at?
[b] And my other question would be, is the procedure as simple as edit
    /etc/services and send hangup signal to lpsched or lpd?
[c] Now what will happen to my other printers if lpd is talking to a port other
    than 515?
Need further info here if anyone can help
TIA
Joe

--
Disclaimer: opinions expressed my own and not representative of my employers

Configuring host to access XEROX N40

Post by GS100 » Thu, 04 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Joe

It may be my mistake for this if you were using the quotes in the queue
names. Ater I posted the response I noticed I forgot to note that you should
not use the quotes ("ps"=ps "raw"=raw  "passthru"=passthru) as I typed it
the response. Oh dopey me!!

I dont have an N40 so I used a N32 but I did an lpr command to all 3 of
those queue names with no problems from NT.  Sorry I don't have SCO to test
for you.

This is the exact commands I used under NT with a 50k test.txt ascii file in
the root of my C:\ drive.

lpr test.txt -S13.248.120.77 -Praw
lpr test.txt -S13.248.120.77 -Ppassthru
lpr test.txt -S13.248.120.77 -Pps

That device is a N32 that does nothing but accept mainframe reports into the
LPD server at port 515 using the raw queue name.

As some one elses post mentioned:

Quote:> It turned out that the Xerox lpd
> port is at a non-standard port number; not port
> 515 as you'd expect. I think it was at port 2000
> or 2001 but can't remember exactly. You can try
> telneting to the printer at ports between 2000
> to 2015 or so.

This is not correct.
All Xerox N24/32/40 devices use port 515 for lpd as is standard for an lpd
server. You can see in this in the printers Internet Sevices
 http://ipaddress ) of your device under Properties>TCP/IP settings. However
on the N24/32/40 products the Appsocket or (IP Direct) printing is done over
port 2000, 2501, or 9100.

Now SCO is a whole nother animal. In all my dealings with SCO (grand total
of 2 times) it has come down to the printcap file not having the proper
settings when dealing with a BSD style type lpd server. Unfortunately I have
no examples to show you for SCO.

GS1000

Post by joeh » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Joe

> It may be my mistake for this if you were using the quotes in the queue
> names. Ater I posted the response I noticed I forgot to note that you should
> not use the quotes ("ps"=ps "raw"=raw  "passthru"=passthru) as I typed it
> the response. Oh dopey me!!

> I dont have an N40 so I used a N32 but I did an lpr command to all 3 of
> those queue names with no problems from NT.  Sorry I don't have SCO to test
> for you.

> This is the exact commands I used under NT with a 50k test.txt ascii file in
> the root of my C:\ drive.

> lpr test.txt -S13.248.120.77 -Praw
> lpr test.txt -S13.248.120.77 -Ppassthru
> lpr test.txt -S13.248.120.77 -Pps

> That device is a N32 that does nothing but accept mainframe reports into the
> LPD server at port 515 using the raw queue name.

> As some one elses post mentioned:

> > It turned out that the Xerox lpd
> > port is at a non-standard port number; not port
> > 515 as you'd expect. I think it was at port 2000
> > or 2001 but can't remember exactly. You can try
> > telneting to the printer at ports between 2000
> > to 2015 or so.

> This is not correct.
> All Xerox N24/32/40 devices use port 515 for lpd as is standard for an lpd
> server. You can see in this in the printers Internet Sevices
>  http://ipaddress ) of your device under Properties>TCP/IP settings. However
> on the N24/32/40 products the Appsocket or (IP Direct) printing is done over
> port 2000, 2501, or 9100.

> Now SCO is a whole nother animal. In all my dealings with SCO (grand total
> of 2 times) it has come down to the printcap file not having the proper
> settings when dealing with a BSD style type lpd server. Unfortunately I have
> no examples to show you for SCO.

I think that it must be the printername living on the N40
Does anyone know what queue names are available for UNIX printing
on this printer?  (host=ip address, printer=???)

--
Disclaimer: opinions expressed my own and not representative of my employers

Configuring host to access XEROX N40

Post by GS100 » Sat, 06 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Joeh

ftp://ftp.xerox.com/pub/centreware/windows/userguide/TIG.PDF this pdf gives
you the queue names on page 76. They are the ones I have already provided.

Post by joeh » Tue, 09 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Joeh

> ftp://ftp.xerox.com/pub/centreware/windows/userguide/TIG.PDF this pdf gives
> you the queue names on page 76. They are the ones I have already provided.

These queue names just don't work:
on SunOS
# lpr /etc/hosts -S xxx.xxx.xxx.101 -P raw
_default: unknown printer
on SCO
# lpr /etc/hosts -S xxx.xxx.xxx.101 -P raw
lpr: no printer specified

--

Post by joeh » Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> > Joeh

> > ftp://ftp.xerox.com/pub/centreware/windows/userguide/TIG.PDF this pdf gives
> > you the queue names on page 76. They are the ones I have already provided.

> These queue names just don't work:
> on SunOS
> # lpr /etc/hosts -S xxx.xxx.xxx.101 -P raw
> _default: unknown printer
> on SCO
> # lpr /etc/hosts -S xxx.xxx.xxx.101 -P raw
> lpr: no printer specified

> --

Maybe someone in the solaris group can help;
these queuenames fail during a setup even using
sun's admintool (sunos 5.6 sparc)

Does anyone have any experience setting up a remote printer
for a Xerox N40

--
Disclaimer: opinions expressed my own and not representative of my employers

Configuring host to access XEROX N40

Post by Gary Mil » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Does anyone have any experience setting up a remote printer
>for a Xerox N40

Yes, we have one configured as a local networked printer under
Solaris 2.6.  It communicates with the same TCP protocol that
HP JetDirect cards use.  In fact, if you look at...

        http://mail.cc.umanitoba.ca/lp-magic/index.html

the Xerox DocuPrint N40 is shown as one of the examples.

--
-Gary Mills-    -Unix Support-    -U of M Academic Computing and Networking-

Configuring host to access XEROX N40

Post by minor prophe » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Have you check to see if you need a spooler program for the N40 even in
windows you can't plug it into a network and make it print unless it is
hooked directly to a server via parellel connection.  In the Nt and 9x world
you have to have a Ibm spooler program that sets the que for remote
printing.  Just a thought had the same problem could ping just fine but
never could get it to print.  If you still have problems e-mail me

Dale

> > > Joeh

> > > ftp://ftp.xerox.com/pub/centreware/windows/userguide/TIG.PDF this pdf
gives
> > > you the queue names on page 76. They are the ones I have already
provided.

> > These queue names just don't work:
> > on SunOS
> > # lpr /etc/hosts -S xxx.xxx.xxx.101 -P raw
> > _default: unknown printer
> > on SCO
> > # lpr /etc/hosts -S xxx.xxx.xxx.101 -P raw
> > lpr: no printer specified

> > --
> Maybe someone in the solaris group can help;
> these queuenames fail during a setup even using
> sun's admintool (sunos 5.6 sparc)

> Does anyone have any experience setting up a remote printer
> for a Xerox N40

> --
> Disclaimer: opinions expressed my own and not representative of my

employers

Configuring host to access XEROX N40

Post by swe.. » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> on SCO
> # lpr /etc/hosts -S xxx.xxx.xxx.101 -P raw
> lpr: no printer specified

You're not even beginning to use the command correctly.  The
most vital piece of imformation you could post, is your
/etc/printcap file.  You do have a /etc/printcap file,
do't you?

-sw

1. Configuring host to access XEROX N40

[...]

2. rlogin (rcmd)

3. How should I configure DHCP client if I work under AIX 3.2 for N40?

4. security-problem (if you did the same mistake as me)

5. configuring hosts.allow and hosts.deny???

6. Conner 4GB TapeStor SCSI TBU ?

7. How to configure hosts.allow /host.deny for IPSEC ??

8. Problems with EIDE CD-Drive during installation

9. Access to public host from private host through Linux router

10. hosts.access & hosts.deny

11. Can't ping the host name or host IP address from host.

12. can't ping host or host IP from host ?

13. /etc/hosts (or NIS host map): official-host-name vs nicknames