Solaris 10 x86: login problem with Java Desktop System, Release 3

Solaris 10 x86: login problem with Java Desktop System, Release 3

Post by Khuc Ngoc Vin » Sat, 23 Jul 2005 23:16:23

Hi everyone,
I've just installed Solaris10 x86 and Java Desktop System, Release 3 (with
comes with Sol10 x86 by default)
But sometimes when I login using gdm, there are errors:
"There was a problem registering the panel with the bonono activation
server. The error code is: 3. The panel will now exit."
And Nautilus said: "Nautilus can't be used now, due to unexpected error from
Bonono when attempting to register the file manager view server"
Then the screen is freezing, and I can't do anything.
Does anyone know about these problems?
Any help will be appreciated!

Solaris 10 x86: login problem with Java Desktop System, Release 3

Post by Paul Floy » Mon, 25 Jul 2005 04:36:03

Quote:> Hi everyone,
> I've just installed Solaris10 x86 and Java Desktop System, Release 3 (with
> comes with Sol10 x86 by default)
> But sometimes when I login using gdm, there are errors:
> "There was a problem registering the panel with the bonono activation
> server. The error code is: 3. The panel will now exit."
> And Nautilus said: "Nautilus can't be used now, due to unexpected error from
> Bonono when attempting to register the file manager view server"
> Then the screen is freezing, and I can't do anything.
> Does anyone know about these problems?
> Any help will be appreciated!

The problem is due to Solaris not cleaning up temp files in /var/tmp on
shutdown, and then having conflicts with the same files on the next
boot.

I did the following, and since have had no problems:
Always shut my PC down with 'init 6' (or equivalent - not 'shutdown').
Put in ~/.dtprofile
export TMPDIR=/tmp

Boot to single user, clean out /var/tmp, and all should be well.

A bientot
Paul
--
Paul Floyd                 http://paulf.free.fr (for what it's worth)
Surgery: ennobled Gerald.

Solaris 10 x86: login problem with Java Desktop System, Release 3

Post by Frank Cusac » Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:42:14

Quote:> The problem is due to Solaris not cleaning up temp files in /var/tmp on
> shutdown, and then having conflicts with the same files on the next
> boot.

That's not really a Solaris problem; files in /var/tmp are *supposed to*
stick around until the *application* or user cleans them up.

consider 'vi -r'

-frank

Solaris 10 x86: login problem with Java Desktop System, Release 3

Post by Michael Laajane » Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:48:58

HI,

> Hi everyone,
> I've just installed Solaris10 x86 and Java Desktop System, Release 3 (with
> comes with Sol10 x86 by default)
> But sometimes when I login using gdm, there are errors:
> "There was a problem registering the panel with the bonono activation
> server. The error code is: 3. The panel will now exit."
> And Nautilus said: "Nautilus can't be used now, due to unexpected error from
> Bonono when attempting to register the file manager view server"
> Then the screen is freezing, and I can't do anything.
> Does anyone know about these problems?
> Any help will be appreciated!

Welcome to Gnome :)

/michael

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:57:56

>The problem is due to Solaris not cleaning up temp files in /var/tmp on
>shutdown, and then having conflicts with the same files on the next
>boot.

Files in /var/tmp are not supposed to be cleaned up.  (Think about editor
temporaries which need to be recovered)

The onus is on the applications to clean up /var/tmp when the system
restarts.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

1. Solaris 10 x86- Freezes just before Desktop Login

Hey Gang,

I have typed up about 75 lines of detail of my problem of not being able
to reach a desktop.  But perhaps I will first try to summarize with this
question:

Solaris 10 X86 (32-bit)
Dell GX240, P4, ATI Rage video, Sony LCD

If I allow the boot up to get to the point where is says this:
"Starting Desktop Login on display :0..."
"Wait for the Desktop Login screen before loggin in"

...the boot will stay frozen forever (including no command line).
However I know if I can stop that from happening and use:
1) log in
2) run /usr/bin/gdm

...then I can get to a desktop instance (JDS).  Question, how can I get
the boot to not try to launch this Desktop Login, as all it does is lock
things up.  Stop-A is not an option, as this is a x86 box.  I *have*
successfully reached the desktop twice using some unmemorable sequence
of keystrokes, but nothing I can reproduce reliably.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Rob

2. linux with pcmcia

3. Sun Java Desktop System, Release 2: Simplified Desktop Management

4. Source code for snoop ?

5. Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (10.2.0.1.0) for Solaris Operating System (x86-64)

6. Motif and GUI builder

7. Solaris 10 Java Desktop and VNC problem

8. KDE Success....

9. Solaris 10 Java Desktop Keyboard not working

10. 8-bit terminal in Solaris 10 Java Desktop

11. Solaris 10 Java Desktop

12. Instability of Java Desktop on Solaris 10

13. Solaris 10 X86 Desktop errors