Limit on number of directories under Solaris 2.5

Post by Charlie Brow » Wed, 21 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> I tried an experiment to find the limit on the number of directories
> contained in one directory and found that the whole file system fell
> over at 32,000.

> Has anyone any idea as to if this is a limit related to number of
> directories in a directory or number of directories in a partition ?
> Also, if there is a limit, can it be altered.

> Cheers in advance for any help,
> Barnaby H Golden

Directories, special files, and normal files(everything is a file,
really) all use inodes.  Every file takes one inode.  The number of
inodes per partition is determined when you format it.  The default is
probably usually the best.  You could back up the partition, reformat,
and restore, I'm sure that would do what you want to do.  For more info,
man mkfs, (mkfs_ufs)

have fun!
--
Charlie Brown - Software Designer / Student

http://www.geog.mankato.msus.edu/~chuck
Unix is user-friendly! It's just picky about who it's friends are.