uncompress Solaris 2.6 recommended patch

uncompress Solaris 2.6 recommended patch

Post by Tuan Hoan » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I had download .tar file from sunsite.unc.edu/pub/sun-info/sun-patches
and tried to use uncompress, tar or gunzip but it didn't extract the
file.
I wondered anybody out there know how to uncompress/extract this file.
Please advice. Thanks so much

The file has its name as: 2_6_Recommended_tar.tar

Regards

Post by Nate Shocke » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> I had download .tar file from sunsite.unc.edu/pub/sun-info/sun-patches
> and tried to use uncompress, tar or gunzip but it didn't extract the
> file.
> I wondered anybody out there know how to uncompress/extract this file.
> Please advice. Thanks so much

> The file has its name as: 2_6_Recommended_tar.tar

        I looked around and couldn't find this file.  The closest I
could find was 2.6_Recommended.tar.Z, which seems to me like
is probably the one you have.  When you tried to uncompess
using gzip did it give you an error like "unknown suffix --
ignored"?  If so, simply rename the file to what I listed
above, and try the following command:

        gzip -dc 2.6_Recommened.tar.Z | tar -xvf -

        Of course, if this doesn't work, e-mail me or follow up,
and I'll see if I can think of anything else.

--
Nate Shockey
Chief Systems Administrator - FlashNet Communications

uncompress Solaris 2.6 recommended patch

Post by jswis.. » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I get this a lot when using a Web browser such as Netscape to
download, espeically from within Windows.   The file name most likely
should be 2.6_Recommended.tar.Z

Post by Scott Giffor » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> I had download .tar file from sunsite.unc.edu/pub/sun-info/sun-patches
> and tried to use uncompress, tar or gunzip but it didn't extract the
> file.
> I wondered anybody out there know how to uncompress/extract this file.
> Please advice. Thanks so much

> The file has its name as: 2_6_Recommended_tar.tar

  It looks like Netscape messed up the filename.  It's possible that
the file you have there is still a compressed (.Z) file, or is an
already uncompressed .tar file.  To find out, you can use the file
command.  For example:

        $ file 2_6_Recommended_tar.tar
        2_6_Recommended_tar.tar:      compressed data block compressed 16 bits

means you have a compressed file.  You should do

        $ mv 2_6_Recommended_tar.tar 2_6_Recommended.tar.Z
        $ uncompress 2_6_Recommended.tar.Z
        $ tar xvf 2_6_Recommended.tar

If, however, it says:

        $ file 2_6_Recommended_tar.tar
        2_6_Recommended_tar.tar:  USTAR tar archive

you can just do

        $ tar xvf 2_6_Recommended_tar.tar

Either way, it will create a directory with the patches in it.  You
should be able to run an install script from in there.

Hope this helps,

-------Scott.

uncompress Solaris 2.6 recommended patch

Post by jswis.. » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Yep, Netscape always munges up the file names like that.. suspiciously
DOS-aware even when not running under Windoze.  I always right click
and do a "Save link as..." so I can save under the proper filename
with minimal editing.

> I had download .tar file from sunsite.unc.edu/pub/sun-info/sun-patches
> and tried to use uncompress, tar or gunzip but it didn't extract the
> file.
> I wondered anybody out there know how to uncompress/extract this file.
> Please advice. Thanks so much

> The file has its name as: 2_6_Recommended_tar.tar

  It looks like Netscape messed up the filename.  It's possible that
the file you have there is still a compressed (.Z) file, or is an
already uncompressed .tar file.  To find out, you can use the file
command.  For example:

        $ file 2_6_Recommended_tar.tar
        2_6_Recommended_tar.tar:      compressed data block compressed
16 bits

means you have a compressed file.  You should do

        $ mv 2_6_Recommended_tar.tar 2_6_Recommended.tar.Z
        $ uncompress 2_6_Recommended.tar.Z
        $ tar xvf 2_6_Recommended.tar

If, however, it says:

        $ file 2_6_Recommended_tar.tar
        2_6_Recommended_tar.tar:  USTAR tar archive

you can just do

        $ tar xvf 2_6_Recommended_tar.tar

Either way, it will create a directory with the patches in it.  You
should be able to run an install script from in there.

Hope this helps,

-------Scott.

uncompress Solaris 2.6 recommended patch

Post by Tuan Hoan » Thu, 17 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Thanh you, everybody for helping the problem. Actually, I used Netscape browser
to download the binary and it screwed up the format. To my expectation, it would
remain the .Z suffix after downloaded. I had to rename the file to .Z suffix and
uncompressed fine.

(Scott's instruction below worked for me)

---tuan,