Need copy of Sol 2.6 DCA - MCA version

Post by Tim Matthew » Tue, 18 Sep 2001 01:48:33

Hi. I need a copy of the Device Configuration Assistant boot floppy for
Solaris 2.6,
but it *must* be the MCA - Micro Channel Architecture version. I already
have the PCI version,
but this is for an IBM 720 server. I've googled/deja'd for it but all the
previous links are dead.

cheers,
Tim

Post by David Michael » Tue, 18 Sep 2001 02:47:26

> Hi. I need a copy of the Device Configuration Assistant boot floppy for
> Solaris 2.6,
> but it *must* be the MCA - Micro Channel Architecture version. I already
> have the PCI version,
> but this is for an IBM 720 server. I've googled/deja'd for it but all the
> previous links are dead.

> cheers,
> Tim

Try emailing Sun

Need copy of Sol 2.6 DCA - MCA version

Post by Andrew Gabri » Tue, 18 Sep 2001 07:45:21

Quote:> Hi. I need a copy of the Device Configuration Assistant boot floppy for
> Solaris 2.6,
> but it *must* be the MCA - Micro Channel Architecture version. I already
> have the PCI version,
> but this is for an IBM 720 server. I've googled/deja'd for it but all the
> previous links are dead.

I don't remember a different boot disk for MCA.
The standard boot disk is downloadable from Sun...
http://soldc.sun.com/support/drivers/dca_diskettes/#S2.6

--
Andrew Gabriel

Post by Bruce Adle » Tue, 18 Sep 2001 09:11:16

> > Hi. I need a copy of the Device Configuration Assistant boot floppy for
> > Solaris 2.6,
> > but it *must* be the MCA - Micro Channel Architecture version. I already
> > have the PCI version,
> > but this is for an IBM 720 server. I've googled/deja'd for it but all the
> > previous links are dead.

> I don't remember a different boot disk for MCA.
> The standard boot disk is downloadable from Sun...
> http://www.veryComputer.com/#S2.6

There definitely was:

laris+2.6+(Intel+Platform+Edition)+Release+Notes;ps=ps%2FSUNWab_162_1%2Fx86INSTNOTES%2FInstallation_Issues#7&Ab2Lang=C&Ab2Enc=iso-88
59-1

It contains the MCA bus enumerator, the ADF files, and a couple of BEF
drivers for devices that don't have ISA/EISA/PCI variants.

My recollection is that Sun ordered about 100 MCA media kits and gave them
to their Tech Support people to have on hand for any customer requests.
I heard that in the following 12 months they had exactly two requests for
the MCA media kits. So in theory, if you've got a support contract for
2.6, you should still be able to request it from Sun.

There's a long story behind why it's a separate media kit. Sun's DCA
developers ran out of room on the DCA floppy when they tried to put
everything for all busses all on one floppy. They thought they could get
away with segregating all the MCA stuff on a separate MCA-only floppy.
I think I was the one that pointed out to Sun that, unfortunately, the
one Sun customer with a (major) support contract, that actually had MCA-bus
systems was using IBM servers that also had EISA and PCI slots (and that
MCA-only systems were probably no longer being built). Therefore a MCA-only
floppy wasn't going to work for the only customer that mattered.  Because
the standard DCA floppy was still nearly out of space, even leaving out the
MCA stuff (and perhaps so they didn't*off their one paying customer
that required MCA+PCI+EISA support), Sun ended up compressing various
files on the floppy so that it could all fit. But since MCA was being
phased-out anyway, Sun decided to not put any MCA stuff on the standard
DCA floppy even though initially most of it fit once they switched to
using compressed files.

1. Copying Sol 2.6 x86 boot drive

I am trying to make a duplicate of the boot drive of one of our Solaris
2.6 Intel-based machines.  I have done a combination of ufsdump/ufsrestore
to transfer the data from the original drive to the new drive.  I have
also done an installboot on the new drive per the man page.  Everything
seems to work except for one minor problem - I can't seem to get the
Device Configuration Assistant to load when I try to boot off of the new
drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

   Quantum Internet Services | Manchester, MD 21102 |  Voice: 410-239-6920

2. Linux : whyyyy ?

3. qfull-retries/qfull-retry-interval in Sol 2.5.1 and Sol 2.6

4. NFS Unlink/Rename Problems

5. Upgrade Sol 2.5.1 to Sol 2.6

6. HP Deskjet 855c and lpd

7. Sol 2.5.1 and Sol 2.6 compatiblity

8. x232

9. HELP!!! Where to get DCA-Disk for 2.6 (MCA-Version)?

10. Weitek frame buffer driver needed for Sol 2.6

11. desperately need help installing sol 2.6 x86

12. Need copy of Solaris 2.6 JIT compiler beta for Java

13. need a copy of solaris 2.6 for sparc 5/98 or later