Multiple Login Like Linux

Post by bid.. » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 03:30:29

Hello Everybody
I am beginer in "Solaris 8".I am facing a problem.In Linux I can used
multiple Login by pressing Alt+F1,Alt+f2 etc.But in Solaris I could
not.Does anybody know the configuration?
Is it possible to login as a more different user in a single machine
(Not over Dialup or Ethernet Lan.)

Rashed Amin (Biddut)

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Multiple Login Like Linux

Post by Alan Coopersmit » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 06:38:10

|I am beginer in "Solaris 8".I am facing a problem.In Linux I can used
|multiple Login by pressing Alt+F1,Alt+f2 etc.But in Solaris I could
|not.Does anybody know the configuration?

Solaris 8 does not have this virtual terminals feature.
(Earlier versions of Solaris on Intel did, but Solaris on Sparc never
 did, and now neither one does.)

Multiple Login Like Linux

Post by Michael T Pi » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 08:35:09

>Hello Everybody
>I am beginer in "Solaris 8".I am facing a problem.In Linux I can used
>multiple Login by pressing Alt+F1,Alt+f2 etc.But in Solaris I could
>not.Does anybody know the configuration?
>Is it possible to login as a more different user in a single machine
>(Not over Dialup or Ethernet Lan.)

If you mean virtual terminals, no, Solaris doesn't support such silly
things.  Just open another xterm and "su -" to the other user.

*   ftp://ftp.visi.com/users/mtpins  |     #include <std.disclaimer>     *

Multiple Login Like Linux

Post by G.T. » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 11:30:59

> >Hello Everybody
> >I am beginer in "Solaris 8".I am facing a problem.In Linux I can used
> >multiple Login by pressing Alt+F1,Alt+f2 etc.But in Solaris I could
> >not.Does anybody know the configuration?
> >Is it possible to login as a more different user in a single machine
> >(Not over Dialup or Ethernet Lan.)

> If you mean virtual terminals, no, Solaris doesn't support such silly
> things.  Just open another xterm and "su -" to the other user.

It's not silly if you need or want only to work at a text console (or
several).

Greg

--
http://www.2fortheroad.net
"Why does a man with nothing to say, he always seems to talk?" - Marc

Multiple Login Like Linux

Post by David J. A. Plaun » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 12:13:51

Quote:

> > >Hello Everybody
> > >I am beginer in "Solaris 8".I am facing a problem.In Linux I can used
> > >multiple Login by pressing Alt+F1,Alt+f2 etc.But in Solaris I could
> > >not.Does anybody know the configuration?
> > >Is it possible to login as a more different user in a single machine
> > >(Not over Dialup or Ethernet Lan.)

> > If you mean virtual terminals, no, Solaris doesn't support such silly
> > things.  Just open another xterm and "su -" to the other user.

> It's not silly if you need or want only to work at a text console (or
> several).

How about this option from gnu?  I haven't used it, but it sounds good.

                http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/screen.html

Multiple Login Like Linux

Post by ursu » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 23:44:42

Linux, FreeBSD and SCO developers don't think they're
such 'silly' things and they seem to be able to implement
this feature with their eyes closed. :^)

Post by Mikko Tyolajar » Mon, 05 Feb 2001 04:03:03

>Linux, FreeBSD and SCO developers don't think they're
>such 'silly' things and they seem to be able to implement
>this feature with their eyes closed. :^)

>>>Hello Everybody
>>>I am beginer in "Solaris 8".I am facing a problem.In Linux I can used
>>>multiple Login by pressing Alt+F1,Alt+f2 etc.But in Solaris I could
>>>not.Does anybody know the configuration?
>>>Is it possible to login as a more different user in a single machine
>>>(Not over Dialup or Ethernet Lan.)

>>If you mean virtual terminals, no, Solaris doesn't support such silly
>>things.  Just open another xterm and "su -" to the other user.

If you are running Slowlaris on a PC, then  this link may be of
interest: <http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.6/SOLX863.html#3>.

The XFree86 documentation describes how to turn on virtual
terminals, which is/has been present as an unsupported feature
in solaris x86.  I vaguely remember trying it out some time long ago
(2.6 or maybe 2.5.1).  I have no idea whether it will still work
in 2.8, errr.. 5.8, no I mean 8. Damn marketing.

   $.02,
   /Mikko
--

 RSA Security

Multiple Login Like Linux

Post by dmuhr.. » Mon, 05 Feb 2001 05:38:26

Quote:

> Linux, FreeBSD and SCO developers don't think they're
> such 'silly' things and they seem to be able to implement
> this feature with their eyes closed. :^)

I don't know about SCO, but Linux and FreeBSD don't have any choice about
implementing vts.  They are distributed with versions of X11-6.3 which
requires a vt on which to bind.  X11-6.4, which is used by Solaris 8 does not
require a vt and expecting a commercial entity like Sun to provide such
unnecessary things in its kernel is ridiculous.

Dave

Post by unixwee.. » Tue, 06 Feb 2001 06:31:42

> > >Hello Everybody
> > >I am beginer in "Solaris 8".I am facing a problem.In Linux I can
used
> > >multiple Login by pressing Alt+F1,Alt+f2 etc.But in Solaris I could
> > >not.Does anybody know the configuration?
> > >Is it possible to login as a more different user in a single
machine
> > >(Not over Dialup or Ethernet Lan.)

> > If you mean virtual terminals, no, Solaris doesn't support such
silly
> > things.  Just open another xterm and "su -" to the other user.

> It's not silly if you need or want only to work at a text console (or
> several).

It's also not silly if you manage to lock up the display while fiddling
with X and don't have another machine to telnet in from kill it.  I was
pretty annoyed when they removed this from x86.  It actually can cause
some security problems, but it would still be nice to turn it on if you
wanted it.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Multiple Login Like Linux

Post by D. Roc » Tue, 06 Feb 2001 08:51:51

>> Linux, FreeBSD and SCO developers don't think they're
>> such 'silly' things and they seem to be able to implement
>> this feature with their eyes closed. :^)

> I don't know about SCO, but Linux and FreeBSD don't have any choice about
> implementing vts.  They are distributed with versions of X11-6.3 which
> requires a vt on which to bind.  X11-6.4, which is used by Solaris 8 does not
> require a vt and expecting a commercial entity like Sun to provide such
> unnecessary things in its kernel is ridiculous.

That's nonsense. The XFree developers try to support the vt/console
capabilities of the supported OS's the best they can - and not the other way
around.

After Solaris 8 was available, because of the change in the console behaviour,
XFree didn't work on Solaris 8. They added support for in in the now available
4.x branch (maybe they backported it to 3.x).
This has nothing to do with X11R6.3 vs. X11R6.4

You can grab the latest XFree86 code and it will run on Solaris 2.x, 7, 8
FreeBSD, ... All with different backends for the OS dependent part, of course.

FreeBSD has at least 2 different system console implementations which require
different handling by the Xserver.

Personally, I never missed virtual VTs on Solaris, but I regularly use them
in FreeBSD - it's just a matter of working style.

--
Daniel

Multiple Login Like Linux

Post by Alan Coopersmit » Tue, 06 Feb 2001 15:25:31

|I don't know about SCO, but Linux and FreeBSD don't have any choice about
|implementing vts.  They are distributed with versions of X11-6.3 which
|requires a vt on which to bind.  X11-6.4, which is used by Solaris 8 does not
|require a vt and expecting a commercial entity like Sun to provide such
|unnecessary things in its kernel is ridiculous.

The X version has nothing to do with it - XFree86 binds to a vt because
the vt support is there in Linux, FreeBSD, etc.  On platforms like
Solaris 8 without vt support, it just runs without binding to a vt.

I believe vt's originally came from AT&T SVR3 - Solaris/x86 inherited it
from it's SVR3-based Interactive Unix roots and had vt's until the
console driver subsystem was completely redone in Solaris 8.  Sun,
XFree86, & XiG all had to adapt their X servers for Solaris 8 to remove
vt support that was present in their versions for earlier Solaris/x86
versions.

Multiple Login Like Linux

Post by Logan Sh » Tue, 06 Feb 2001 15:57:40

Quote:>I believe vt's originally came from AT&T SVR3 - Solaris/x86 inherited it
>from it's SVR3-based Interactive Unix roots and had vt's until the
>console driver subsystem was completely redone in Solaris 8.  Sun,
>XFree86, & XiG all had to adapt their X servers for Solaris 8 to remove
>vt support that was present in their versions for earlier Solaris/x86
>versions.

And let's not forget AIX's hft ("high function terminal").  It did the
same thing, essentially, as vt's -- you could start an X session on one
and have text going on another.  I'm not sure which came first.

When IBM came out with AIX 4.x, they removed the hft and replaced it
with the lft.  You guessed it -- it stands for "low function
terminal".

Apparently, the reasoning was that while the hft was a convenient thing
to have around, it made porting new versions of X11 to the system a
pain because of the pointless complexity.  That was, supposedly, the
reason why IBM was on X11R3 for quite some time while the rest of the
world had moved to X11R4.  (Or was that X11R4 while the rest of the
world was on X11R5?  It's been a while since I used AIX 3.2.x...)

Anyway, the point is that even IBM was able to realize that sometimes
simpler is better.

  - Logan

1. bash, fork, login and multiple logins

'lo all,

  I'm a new user of bash.  I am used to being able to keep my connection
open and just use the login command to let someone else on.  It worked
fine with csh.  Now with bash my old login stays active after the new
login.  This is a Bad Thing.  I don't want my account open.  In browsing
the manfile for login I noticed that it muttered something about not
forking for sh and csh.  I imagine that that's the heart of the matter.
Any way to solve this little problem while still using bash that doesn't
involve hacking the login code?

Andy

--
Andy Berkvam                          |  Few are wholly dead:
U of Wisconsin - Stevens Point        |  Blow on a dead man's embers

2. Linux <-> x48 emulator

3. how to upgrade a Linux distribution so PERL's DBI likes it?

4. Gnome: anyone using pls. give impressions

5. Help-PC likes linux so much won't run DOS

6. Problems with Debian not recognizing my ATI XPERT 128 video card.

7. Intel Likes the Napster Way..Oh, and also Linux

8. problems with polling windows (2003) servers over SNMP using cacti

9. Apparently the BBC likes Linux

10. Linux as workstation (multiple logins, DCOP problem)

11. IT likes Linux at work

12. Mouse Likes DOS but hates Linux

13. Cheap PCI enet card that Linux likes?