Newbie Needs Help

Post by Sh0t2bt » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 06:50:42

Hi All,

I have just landed a job working on telephone switches, routing etc.

From this switch there is a Solaris server that collects call details for
reporting, the guys at work call it the "CMS Server",

I have little Linux knowledge which has helped in setting up new users, but
pass this I am stuck.

Can I ask:-

1, am I in the right NG?

2, if I am could one of you point me towards some site that will have a list
of commands and simple tasks?

What I am trying to do it add a device (Which would be a mapped network
drive) and then back up to that device instead of backing up to  a tape
drive.

Any help would be greatly received

Mark

Newbie Needs Help

Post by Robert Sherm » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 07:18:13

> Hi All,

> I have just landed a job working on telephone switches, routing etc.

> From this switch there is a Solaris server that collects call details for
> reporting, the guys at work call it the "CMS Server",

> I have little Linux knowledge which has helped in setting up new users, but
> pass this I am stuck.

> Can I ask:-

> 1, am I in the right NG?

> 2, if I am could one of you point me towards some site that will have a list
> of commands and simple tasks?

> What I am trying to do it add a device (Which would be a mapped network
> drive) and then back up to that device instead of backing up to  a tape
> drive.

right ng...but more detail is required to help you.

what version of solaris (uname -a)?

do you mean you need to mount an NFS volume onto this server?
if so, man the following:

share
mount
vfstab
dfstab

for the backup, man

tar
ufsdump
cpio
pax
dd

those should get you started with the info you need.

--
robert sherman
css3, school of civil and environmental engineering

Newbie Needs Help

Post by Sh0t2bt » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 02:44:39

Thank You,

I will give these a go when I am back on site

Mark

> > Hi All,

> > I have just landed a job working on telephone switches, routing etc.

> > From this switch there is a Solaris server that collects call details
for
> > reporting, the guys at work call it the "CMS Server",

> > I have little Linux knowledge which has helped in setting up new users,
but
> > pass this I am stuck.

> > Can I ask:-

> > 1, am I in the right NG?

> > 2, if I am could one of you point me towards some site that will have a
list
> > of commands and simple tasks?

> > What I am trying to do it add a device (Which would be a mapped network
> > drive) and then back up to that device instead of backing up to  a tape
> > drive.

> right ng...but more detail is required to help you.

> what version of solaris (uname -a)?

> do you mean you need to mount an NFS volume onto this server?
> if so, man the following:

> share
> mount
> vfstab
> dfstab

> for the backup, man

> tar
> ufsdump
> cpio
> pax
> dd

> those should get you started with the info you need.

> --
> robert sherman
> css3, school of civil and environmental engineering
> georgia institute of technology
> atlanta, ga, usa

1. <help>Linux newbies need help with CD and soundcard<help>

We recenly got Linux with Xwindows running on our 486. The CD
worked fine till we got Win****95 on our DOS partition. Now we
cant get our TEAC CD-55 working on our Soundblaster Pro card. I
heard something about a Sound HOW-TO but Sunsite's got major
data loss, so we couldnt find it. Is there anyone out there
that could help us get our CD or soundcard working??

-Thanks
-2 linux newbies

2. Announcing Splitvt 1.6.0

3. Newbie : Need help with xf86config - PLEASE HELP

4. Is it possible to compile shell scripts?

5. floppy drive setup (Newbie needs help, help!!)

6. new LinuxPPC Beta

7. HELP! (newbie needs help installing SLS)

8. What's the best Linux MP3 encode ?

9. Newbie: Need help with xf86config - PLEASE HELP

10. Newbie Needs Help!

11. newbie needs help on installing & getting the trident TGUI9680 drivers

12. Sony17SEII(Newbie needs help!)

13. Newbie, need help with Red Hat 8.0 Package configurer