Help mounting mail under Solaris 2.3

Post by David Rowla » Thu, 15 Dec 1994 04:35:02

I am in the process of migrating a system from SunOS 4.1.3 to Solaris 2.3.
One problem I have encountered is mounting user's mail boxes from
a mail server running SunOS 4.1.3 to the machine running Solaris 2.3.
The autofs under Solaris works well at mounting the mail boxes.
The problem arises when a user trys to modify their mail box.
When a user trys to modify a mail box, an error occurs saying
that the operation could not complete and to check the
directory permissions.  Checking the permissions shows that
/var/mail under Solaris 2.3 is world readable and executable
but not writable by anyone.  /var/spool/mail under SunOS
4.1.3 is world readable, writable, has setgid and the sticky
bit set.  Attempts to change the permissions on /var/mail
result in a warning saying that the permissions on /var/mail
can not be changed, a strong indication that my attempt to
change the permissions was not the right thing to do.
My question is, what is that solution?  What must I do to allow
users to modify their mail boxes?

All sincere suggestions gratefully appreciated, all flames
gracefully ignored.

--

System Administrator - Wyndemere Inc., Boulder, Colorado

Don't tread on me!

1. odd problem with Solaris 2.3 /usr/ucb/mail and nfs-mounted /var/mail

We are experiencing an extremely strange problem since we upgraded
our Solaris boxes from 2.2 to 2.3.

Our configuration: we have /var/mail NFS mounted from an hp300
running MORE/bsd 4.3.

The symptom:

% /usr/ucb/mail

hangs forever.

"ps -eal" reveals that it is blocked in wait on "config_cv".
can anybody tell me
(a) what does this mean?
(b) what can I do about it?

Thanks,

        Mike Haertel

2. Connect/400 question

3. Cross-mounting /var/spool/mail FROM 4.X TO Solaris 2.3

4. strange telnet behavior

5. HELP: Solaris 2.3 <---> Solaris 2.3 PPP link problems

6. MWAVE modem problem

7. HELP: Solaris 2.3 <---> Solaris 2.3 PPP link Problems

8. Mail forwarding (via NIS aliases) funny

9. Need help mounting NFS version 1 on a Solaris 2.3 system

10. HELP: Getting mail to work on Solaris 2.3

11. Help with Pageview under 2.3 (Re: Display Postscript X Solaris 2.3)

12. Question: Sendmail problem in solaris 2.3 can't send mail outside the system

13. Set-gid required for Solaris 2.3 mail readers?