'JAN 1 1970' date stamp

Post by PeTe » Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I understand this is the (perhaps) "born" date of Unix, but what does it
mean when I have this date stamp on a directory when the directory has been
current before? ( Remove the Spam trap if responding through e-mail)
Thanx in advance PeTe D.

Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded - Yogi Berra
--

'JAN 1 1970' date stamp

Post by Fletcher Gle » Fri, 12 Jun 1998 04:00:00

That date means that you should probably fsck the file system soon.  The
real meaning is that the date filed on the inode is zero (which translates
to 1/1/70).  This will not happen in normal circumstances.

--
                Fletcher Glenn

>I understand this is the (perhaps) "born" date of Unix, but what does it
>mean when I have this date stamp on a directory when the directory has been
>current before? ( Remove the Spam trap if responding through e-mail)
>Thanx in advance PeTe D.

>--

>--
>Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded - Yogi Berra
>--

'JAN 1 1970' date stamp

Post by Toby Cree » Tue, 16 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I would suspect that some program (probably a C/C++ program) has done
> something with the directory, something that effects the date/time
> stamp on it, and they have failed to initialize the timestamp.  Why
> a program would feel the need to set the timestamp (rather than
> letting the system default it to the current time) is beyond me,
> but this would be my guess.

It is more likely that the filesystem has some (hopefully minor)
corruption, or someone has been playing with touch (check
the ctime, mtime, and atime to see if they are all 0).

And don't forget to configure your xvnews domain, or someone
might notice.

Toby
--
Toby Creek - UNIX System Administrator
Alcatel Telecom, 2912 Wake Forest Road, Raleigh, NC