Installation problems with C-compiler and Oracle 9i on Solaris 8 on a SunFire V100

Installation problems with C-compiler and Oracle 9i on Solaris 8 on a SunFire V100

Post by Thorbjoern Anderse » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 04:37:15

We have purchased a SunFire V100 for running Java and Oracle, and last
week I tried to installe Forte Developer 6 (needed the C compiler, the
CD may be have labeled differently), and today I have tried installing
Oracle 9i for Solaris 64-bit.

The Oracle installation went through well, but the DBCA was stuck midway
when trying to create the default database (I could stop it).  First
time I let it wait for 3 hours to finish before stopping it.

The Forte installation froze on 6% on installing (tried 3-4 times both
in GUI and text), but I apparently had the C-compiler available and I
have been using it.

Are these caused by the same?  It has been a couple of years since I did
SA on Solaris, so I am a bit rusty on the details.

The Solaris is preinstalled by Sun, and works well.  I have my self set
up DiskSuite to mirror the disk.

Thanks for any ideas.

--
   Thorbj?rn

Installation problems with C-compiler and Oracle 9i on Solaris 8 on a SunFire V100

Post by kdzh » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 14:26:42

I am not exactly sure about your condition, but I wonder what lead u
to think the oracle's DBCA has anything to do with the C-compiler?
Any error in the log that refects it?
Can u try to let the installer bypass the database creation, and
create the database later uing the DBCA and see whether it works or
not.

Post by Thorbjoern Anderse » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 16:55:43

> I am not exactly sure about your condition, but I wonder what lead u
> to think the oracle's DBCA has anything to do with the C-compiler?
> Any error in the log that refects it?

No.  Just the same symptoms.  I just mentioned since it might ring a
bell for somebody more knowledgable than me.

Quote:> Can u try to let the installer bypass the database creation, and
> create the database later uing the DBCA and see whether it works or
> not.

Have done so in the meantime.  Even when invoked manually after
installation, the DBCA hangs midway.  I let it hang for 20-30 minutes,
before stopping it.

Is this just me?

--
   Thorbjoern

Post by Philip Bro » Mon, 03 Jun 2002 09:12:50

>Have done so in the meantime.  Even when invoked manually after
>installation, the DBCA hangs midway.  I let it hang for 20-30 minutes,
>before stopping it.

how did you check that it is truely "hung"?

did you check for disk activity? cpu activity?
did you truss it?

on an inferior machine, configuring the database can take longer than 30
minutes.

http://www.spamlaws.com/state/ca1.html

Installation problems with C-compiler and Oracle 9i on Solaris 8 on a SunFire V100

Post by kdzh » Mon, 03 Jun 2002 14:55:43

Can u check and post the installation log here? (the tail several
pages)
As I hear 9i's db creation script has a bug (fixed in 9.0.2)

when installing Oracle 9.0.1, the scripts in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin
(e.g. catproc.sql) will got the error message:

ERROR:
ORA-06550: line 1, column 29:
PLS-00553: character set name is not recognized
ORA-06550: line 0, column 0:
PL/SQL: Compilation unit analysis terminated

Oracle has now found the Bug in 9.0.1 and assigned bug number:
1335603. This bug will be fixed in Oracle 9.0.2.

Workaround

After creating the database with CREATE DATABASE ...., disconnect and
reconnect again, just before running the admin scripts, this solves
the problem.

REM Load the system scripts

DISCONNECT;
CONNECT / AS SYSDBA;
SET ECHO ON;

--------
anyway, if this is not your case, then I may have no other idea.