Problem running Openwin thro eXceed4's xTerm

Problem running Openwin thro eXceed4's xTerm

Post by Chua Chye He » Sat, 02 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

I access Solaris 2.x server thro' eXceed4 xTerm. When I type openwin on the
xterm prompt, I got the error msg below:

/dev/fb: Permission denied
Graphics Adapter device /dev/fb is of unknown type

Fatal server error:
InitOutput: Error loading module for /dev/fb

/usr/openwin/bin/xinit:  Server error.

My eXceed4 settings are:

Start Method    : REXEC(TCP/IP,IPX/SPX)
Program Type    : X Window
Command         : /usr/openwin/bin/xview/xterm &

TIA.

CH Chua

Post by Grant Nowe » Sat, 02 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I access Solaris 2.x server thro' eXceed4 xTerm. When I type openwin on
the
>xterm prompt, I got the error msg below:

>/dev/fb: Permission denied
>Graphics Adapter device /dev/fb is of unknown type

>Fatal server error:
>InitOutput: Error loading module for /dev/fb

>/usr/openwin/bin/xinit:  Server error.

>My eXceed4 settings are:

>Start Method    : REXEC(TCP/IP,IPX/SPX)
>Program Type    : X Window
>Command         : /usr/openwin/bin/xview/xterm &

>TIA.

>CH Chua

I've been having the same problem as well.  I think one's environment
needs to tell Openwin to use Display 0.  ie. Set the ENV variable to
display=yourhostname:0.0.

One problem however, I haven't exactly found out how to do this.  I think
it involves editing .profile.  This is proabably a very simple thing to
do.  If anyone has any input, it would be greatly appreciated.

Grant

Problem running Openwin thro eXceed4's xTerm

Post by Ron Grig » Wed, 06 Sep 1995 04:00:00

The openwin program runs on workstations only.  You don't run it from
eXceed's xterm, just the X-windows applications that run in openwin.
i.e. cmdtool, mailtool, clock, etc. or any other X-window application.

| There are three schools of magic.                                 |
| 1)  State a tautology, then ring the changes on its corollaries;  |
|     that's philosophy.                                            |
| 2)  Record many facts.  Try to find a pattern.  Then make wrong   |
|     guess at the next fact; that's science.                       |
| 3)  Be aware that you live in a malevolent Universe controlled    |
|     by Murphy's Law, sometimes offset by Brewster's Factor;       |
|     that's engineering.                                           |

Problem running Openwin thro eXceed4's xTerm

Post by Scott D. MacK » Wed, 06 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Ummm....Why are you typing "openwin"?  eXeed4 provides X service for applications,
but not the entire OpenWin desktop (eg: no .openwin-init honored, no .openwin-menu
for your PC).  What eXeed provides is that when you set your DISPLAY environment
variable to your calling PC, it can accept processes' X window design and
pop the GUI up on your machine.   Think of it like this:
With the PC software, your machine is just like you sitting at a sun host, running
Open Windows (actually, runnning X Windows).  You can rlogin to another machine
(you open your PC xterm window to the remote sun host).  From there, if you
set your display back to you personal machine, all GUIs will pop up on your local
display.  you cannot do "openwin" on that remote display; that will try to load
open windows on that remote station (and won't let you if someone else own the
graphics card frame buffer).  NOTE: eXeed, like every PC X emulator CANNOT
display PostScript via the OpenWindows mechanism.  The server for postscript is
NOT X (it is an extension to X) and most PC software do not emulate that PS
mechanism.

Scott

    Real Time Enterprises                               | Scott MacKay

    Pittsford,NY 14534                                  | Real Time Enterprises
- Electronic Document Imaging - System Integration -    | (716) 383-1290
        - Software Development-                         | Postmaster

> Hi,

> I access Solaris 2.x server thro' eXceed4 xTerm. When I type openwin on the
> xterm prompt, I got the error msg below:

> /dev/fb: Permission denied
> Graphics Adapter device /dev/fb is of unknown type

> Fatal server error:
> InitOutput: Error loading module for /dev/fb

> /usr/openwin/bin/xinit:  Server error.

> My eXceed4 settings are:

> Start Method       : REXEC(TCP/IP,IPX/SPX)
> Program Type       : X Window
> Command            : /usr/openwin/bin/xview/xterm &

> TIA.

> CH Chua

1. can't get openwin to run openwin-init

I have openwin setup and running on my slackware 1.2.10.  I can't get it
to load the openwin-init or the  xtoolplaces in order to save my
desktop.  Has anyone had any success getting this to work with linux?

Kelly

2. problem on install

3. xterm &, run a setup script, xterm won't stay on

4. Someone knows how to do this? I don't!

5. Remote connect to UNIX server thro' proxy problem

6. Damn Newsreader!!

7. Pentium

8. RH6.1 'xterm -ls' doesnt run profile correctly?

9. Print doc thro internet to a PC running LPD

10. can I run X-windows thro serial port?

11. System info thro' commands

12. Canon scanner( thro' USB )