C-Kermit(188/189) Causes Solaris 2.3 Panic

C-Kermit(188/189) Causes Solaris 2.3 Panic

Post by Ray Tripam » Thu, 18 Nov 1993 09:25:54

Hello,

Has anyone else encountered a problem with C-Kermit 188 or 189
that causes a SPARCstation running Solaris 2.3 to panic after
the modem connects?  I have compiled kermit with Sun's unbundled
C compiler, with GCC Versions 2.4.5 and 2.5.3, with make targets
"sunos51", "sunos51tcp", "sunos51gcc", and even "sys5r4", and each time
it compiles and starts up cleanly, but without fail, as soon as I dial
the number and get a "CONNECT" message from the modem, the kernel panics
with a "Data Fault" panic.  The same modem works fine for UUCP/tip calling
BTW.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
--
Ray Tripamer

Post by Jon Hamilt » Thu, 18 Nov 1993 10:54:50

>Hello,
>Has anyone else encountered a problem with C-Kermit 188 or 189
>that causes a SPARCstation running Solaris 2.3 to panic after
>the modem connects?  I have compiled kermit with Sun's unbundled
>C compiler, with GCC Versions 2.4.5 and 2.5.3, with make targets
>"sunos51", "sunos51tcp", "sunos51gcc", and even "sys5r4", and each time
>it compiles and starts up cleanly, but without fail, as soon as I dial
>the number and get a "CONNECT" message from the modem, the kernel panics
>with a "Data Fault" panic.  The same modem works fine for UUCP/tip calling
>BTW.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

C-Kermit 5A(189), 30 June 93, Solaris 2.x
works fine for me on our 2.2 and 2.3 machines.  I compiled it with gcc, which
may well be the distinction.

|   CS Solaris Systems Support Group, Iowa State University      |

Post by Mark Eich » Fri, 19 Nov 1993 03:18:35

>Has anyone else encountered a problem with C-Kermit 188 or 189
>that causes a SPARCstation running Solaris 2.3 to panic after

        I haven't seen kermit do this, but then I'm still running 2.1
(upgrading to 2.3 is on my todo list for mid-December.) I have seen
kernel panics caused by plugging in my laptop to the serial port
without already having it powered up; the error is usually "panic:
lock_set: lock held, but only one CPU"... While this is silly, and
supposedly the locking code was much improved even in 2.2 (I look
forward to 2.3, where it is supposed to both work *and* not run even
slower) It does indicate that the SPARCstation (this was an ELC in
particular) have some sensitivity to electrical conditions on the
serial ports (stray interrupts? poor isolation? I don't know, but
after seeing just how cheap the type 4 keyboard is on the inside, I
can imagine all sorts of other shortcuts...) which may be what is
triggering your problem... Or at least something possibly  worth
investigating...
                                                        _Mark_

1. C-Kermit 189 with networking and rts/cts support

I have compiled and uploaded release 189 of C-Kermit from Columbia
University to tsx-11 and sunsite as ckermit-189.tar.gz.

I got the sources from watsun.cc.columbia.edu:/kermit/bin/cku189.tar.Z,
unpacked it, and applied the patch included in this tarchive as
ckermit-189.patch.  The patch was originally given to me by Rick Sladkey

hardware flow control, I worked it into 189.  I then compiled the
linuxgcc2net target, stripped the executable, and placed it in the file
"kermit" in this tarchive.  I run gcc-2.4.5 and libc-4.4.1.

To activate RTS/CTS hardware flow control, you need to place the line
    stty crtscts < /dev/modem
in your /etc/rc.local (replace /dev/modem with whatever your out-going
serial port is, if it isn't /dev/modem).

I've included ckcker.upd from the distribution, which details what is
new in this release.

Please let me know if you have any problems with this binary.

--

     Oatmeal Stout: It's the Right Thing to Drink!

--

2. Tar balls

3. Kermit 5A(189) + Solaris2.3 == panic/crash

4. modeline: sync polarity?

5. Docs on SOLARIS 2.4 KERMIT (189)??

6. KDE manpages

7. Q: goofy dates with Kermit 5A(188) on AIX

8. DNS for Domain Question

9. Need a later (earlier) KERMIT than 5A(189)

10. rn/trn/strn - Causing Solaris 2.3 panic crash

11. Info-Kermit Digest V2 #9, C-Kermit Release #2

12. Announcing C-Kermit 7.0 and G-Kermit 1.00