Navigator 2.02 bus error on Solaris

Post by srln.. » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I posted this on comp.infosystems.www.browsers.x a few days ago and it
sunk without trace. Any help from you Solaris users...

I'm encountering a "bus error" core dump problem with Netscape Navigator
2.02 on Solaris 2.4 on a Sun Sparcstation 20/712 (Openwindows 2.4). The
funny thing is - only one user is affected by this, and that user can run
the same Netscape binary (with the same $HOME files - thanks to NFS) on
another workstation. Another user (ie, me) can run Navigator fine on the
Sparcstation 20. And, finally, the first user did run Navigator OK "for a
day or two", before the bus error problem appeared.

I'm stumped. I've removed the lock file in $HOME/.netscape. I've moved
$HOME/.netscape itself. I've looked in /tmp and /var/tmp for stray files.
No luck. Navigator still core dumps for this person.

Help greatly appreciated.

--
Roger Williams, Institute of Geological & Nuclear Sciences, New Zealand

Post by Andre Apr » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: I posted this on comp.infosystems.www.browsers.x a few days ago and it
: sunk without trace. Any help from you Solaris users...

: I'm encountering a "bus error" core dump problem with Netscape Navigator
: 2.02 on Solaris 2.4 on a Sun Sparcstation 20/712 (Openwindows 2.4). The
: funny thing is - only one user is affected by this, and that user can run
: the same Netscape binary (with the same $HOME files - thanks to NFS) on
: another workstation. Another user (ie, me) can run Navigator fine on the
: Sparcstation 20. And, finally, the first user did run Navigator OK "for a
: day or two", before the bus error problem appeared.

Netscape dumps core regularly. It has always been so. You should get
used to it..

Andr April                   Dpartement d'ingnierie informatique

Tel: +32 (0)10/47.31.13       1348 Louvain-la-Neuve
Fax: +32 (0)10/45.03.45       Belgium

Post by srln.. » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>I'm encountering a "bus error" core dump problem with Netscape Navigator
>2.02 on Solaris 2.4 on a Sun Sparcstation 20/712 (Openwindows 2.4). The
>funny thing is - only one user is affected by this, and that user can run
>the same Netscape binary (with the same $HOME files - thanks to NFS) on
>another workstation. Another user (ie, me) can run Navigator fine on the
>Sparcstation 20. And, finally, the first user did run Navigator OK "for a
>day or two", before the bus error problem appeared.

A couple of replies to this suggested examining the output of
an ldd -r /opt/local/bin/netscape for both users to see if
they were dynamically linking with different libraries. The phrase
"LD_LIBRARY_PATH or some other abomination" was mentioned!

That wasn't it. But this next suggestion did work (thanks Bart).

=The user's cache may have become corrupted.... save his bookmark
=file (~user/.netscape/bookmarks.html) and nuke .netscape... now
=re-create it and stick his bookmark file back in...
=
=That's another bit of per-user state that can get munged....

--
Roger Williams, Institute of Geological & Nuclear Sciences, New Zealand

1. Netscape 2.02 causing Bus Error

I've got netscape 2.02 navigator running on a Pentium machine
with the Matrox Millennium using the AcceleratedX X11 server version 1.3

Under Normal operating the system is fine, but every time I access a JAVA
enabled webpage, Netscape exits and returns a Bus Error, error statement.
I 've checked several times and netscape does have access to the
moz2**.zip file and it is not corrupted.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Thanks in Advance
-Ben

2. funny story

3. [Fwd: netscape's navigator 2.02 on Linux?]

4. ppp on FreeBSD

5. netscape's navigator 2.02 on Linux?

6. Windows fails to read extended FAT partition

7. Netscape Navigator 3.01 crashes w "bus error"

8. change <blablabla /> to <!-- blablabla -->

9. Netscape 2.02 & keysym errors

10. ftape 2.02 error messages (LONG)

11. kernel 1.21 & ftape 2.02 compile error

12. Netscape 2.02 error

13. Solaris 2.4, Oracle 7.2.2.3, inodes, bus errors, and I/O errors