Real Player vs Windows Media Player

Post by neko » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 11:12:34

Hi,

I have Solaris 7 on SPARC (SS5) as my primary environment.
I have been using Real Player to play internet radio.

However, I have been experiencing occasional 'freeze' from time
to time. Unlike core-dumping, once it happens, nothing I
can do except cycling power-switch.

Of course, I have the latest version (7.0.3.339) of Real Player.
I have installed the recommended patches for Solaris 7.
But nothing has solved the problem.

Now I have remembered that Microsoft Windows Media player is also
available for Solaris thanks to somebody's posting. Today I have
downloaded and installed it.

Although some of details are not my preference (i.e. Windows like
not Unix like), it turned out be a very nice and robust player.

I'm writing this hoping RealNetwork will make adequate efforts to catch
up Windows Media Player (particularly for Unix environments). I'm not
a fan of Micro$oft. But I can not use RealPlayer unless it becomes
more robust.

I don't mind to pay a reasonable price if they can provide a decent
product. From my view, they are just saying "Don't expect any quality
since it's free".
I think RealPlayer, Media Player are not a mere application.
It's a fundamental element of the computing environment.

Of course, all of these are my opinion, though.

Thanks,
Aki Niimura

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by Logan Sh » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 13:49:21

>I have Solaris 7 on SPARC (SS5) as my primary environment.
>I have been using Real Player to play internet radio.

>However, I have been experiencing occasional 'freeze' from time
>to time. Unlike core-dumping, once it happens, nothing I
>can do except cycling power-switch.

If you haven't tried "kill -9", try it.  If you have, and it doesn't
work, then this is a Solaris problem and not a RealPlayer problem.

  - Logan

Real Player vs Windows Media Player

Post by neko » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 14:55:02

Quote:> If you haven't tried "kill -9", try it.  If you have, and it doesn't
> work, then this is a Solaris problem and not a RealPlayer problem.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough about 'freeze'.
Under such situation, no key input, no background job, anything is
working. (clock stops, cursor won't move, rlogin won't work, ...)

I strongly believe it is NOT Solaris' problem.
The RealPlayer just entered a critical section and won't exit
from the section.

To my view, it is just a lousy program. Nothing else.
I hate to say this. But it is just a big disappointment.
I'm pretty happy with Windows Media Player, at least for now.
Only my last wish is some day it can support G2 format so that
I don't need to bother Real Player anymore.

Aki-

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by Toomas Soom » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 16:26:03

: Maybe I wasn't clear enough about 'freeze'.
: Under such situation, no key input, no background job, anything is
: working. (clock stops, cursor won't move, rlogin won't work, ...)

rlogin from another host to your freezed host? if yes, then this is clearly
problem with solaris - userland program should NOT be able to freeze complete
system.

: To my view, it is just a lousy program. Nothing else.
: I hate to say this. But it is just a big disappointment.
: I'm pretty happy with Windows Media Player, at least for now.
: Only my last wish is some day it can support G2 format so that
: I don't need to bother Real Player anymore.

I do not think well about real* since realplayer told me my Ultra10/Creator3D
330MHz is too slow to play some realvideos and an old pentium 100 was good
enough...

toomas
--
Do not clog intellect's sluices with bits of knowledge of questionable uses.

Real Player vs Windows Media Player

Post by Tor Slettne » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 18:07:05

    neko> However, I have been experiencing occasional 'freeze' from
    neko> time to time. Unlike core-dumping, once it happens, nothing
    neko> I can do except cycling power-switch.

FWIW, I have never seen this, though on Solaris 8. (Running either
Solaris 2.6 or Solaris 7 binaries).

    neko> Although some of details are not my preference (i.e. Windows
    neko> like not Unix like), it turned out be a very nice and robust
    neko> player.

Except the last Solaris version is 6.3, and most sites require 6.4.
One thing you can be sure about with Microsoft is that they will
continue doing stuff like this:
  - Create a "UNIX" player to create the image of a "cross-platform"
    standard media format among content providers
  - Make it unusable, so that you _have_ to use Windows to see such
    media.

They did that with their Office suite, with MSIE, with protocols
(MS-CHAP, Kerberos...), with Name Services (WINS, reliance on Dynamic
DNS/DHCP integration)...  They will do it again.

    neko> I'm writing this hoping RealNetwork will make adequate
    neko> efforts to catch up Windows Media Player (particularly for
    neko> Unix environments). I'm not a fan of Micro$oft. But I can
    neko> not use RealPlayer unless it becomes more robust.

Proprietary formats are evil.  Don't put up with them - view only
sites that use open formats, such as MPEG (II, IV, VII).

    neko> I don't mind to pay a reasonable price if they can provide a
    neko> decent product. From my view, they are just saying "Don't
    neko> expect any quality since it's free".  I think RealPlayer,
    neko> Media Player are not a mere application.  It's a fundamental
    neko> element of the computing environment.

As such an important commodity standard, it is also important that we
choose something that everybody has access to, something which
promotes a level playing field.  Do not create a dependence on
particular vendors, particular platform support, particular bugs, and
spam.  (Notice the amount of adverti*t you are going through
simply to get RealPlayer downloaded & configured?)

-tor

Post by neko » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 01:02:30

>   - Create a "UNIX" player to create the image of a "cross-platform"
>     standard media format among content providers
>   - Make it unusable, so that you _have_ to use Windows to see such
>     media.

- I don't mind their intension as far as they provide a decent
- solution. Besides, so many plug-ins are only available in Microsoft
- Windows environment, anyway. From a user's point of view, I don't
- care Windows or Linux or Solaris or whatever. I have a great respect
- on good software and its provider.

Quote:> As such an important commodity standard, it is also important that we
> choose something that everybody has access to, something which
> promotes a level playing field.  Do not create a dependence on
> particular vendors, particular platform support, particular bugs, and
> spam.

- I would like to see it happens.
- But I doubt it as creating and maintaining this kind of application
- is very expensive.

Aki-

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Real Player vs Windows Media Player

Post by grocb » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 01:35:47

In general on both a solaris as well as a windows platform i have been
more satisfied with windows media player than realplayer
i do like the realjukebox though....

Quote:> Hi,

--
Brad Grocholski
Technology Systems Engineering

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by Dave Schane » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 07:11:19

> Proprietary formats are evil.  Don't put up with them - view only
> sites that use open formats, such as MPEG (II, IV, VII).

Here Here!  The fact that Quicktime 4 movies don't work with Xanim or
Showmetv really ticks me off.  I think there should be an alliance of
open source development groups to boycott platforms that use closed
standards.  Don't want to make quicktime available?  Then Mac users can
forget about any Gimp ports.  It would be a really easy way to force
companies to play nice.

Quote:

> As such an important commodity standard, it is also important that we
> choose something that everybody has access to, something which
> promotes a level playing field.  Do not create a dependence on
> particular vendors, particular platform support, particular bugs, and
> spam.  (Notice the amount of adverti*t you are going through
> simply to get RealPlayer downloaded & configured?)

> -tor

Don't give companies your actual email, sheesh :)

Dave
--
"Listen, three eyes, don't try to outweird me.  I get stranger things
than

Post by blech8.. » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 01:12:59

> >   - Create a "UNIX" player to create the image of a "cross-platform"
> >     standard media format among content providers
> >   - Make it unusable, so that you _have_ to use Windows to see such
> >     media.

> - I don't mind their intension as far as they provide a decent
> - solution. Besides, so many plug-ins are only available in Microsoft
> - Windows environment, anyway. From a user's point of view, I don't
> - care Windows or Linux or Solaris or whatever. I have a great respect
> - on good software and its provider.

Well said.

-B.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by lvir.. » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 21:45:30

:Don't want to make quicktime available?  Then Mac users can
:forget about any Gimp ports.  It would be a really easy way to force
:companies to play nice.

Ooo - I am sure that Apple is shaking in their boots about Mac users being
forced to buy software from one of their associates instead of using free
software...

Not.

Boycotts tend not to work in the software domain, since there is always
someone willing to 'cross the picket line' and commercially offer software
that isn't being ported.  FSF boycotted (is still boycotting?) Apple
with regards to ports of gcc, etc.  I think people are still compiling
C code on Macs; they just use MPW or fork out the $$$$ for CodeWarrior.

"See, he's not just anyone ... he's my son."  Mark Schultz

Post by Sami Tikk » Sun, 24 Dec 2000 01:00:01

Real Player vs Windows Media Player:

Quote:> Maybe I wasn't clear enough about 'freeze'.
> Under such situation, no key input, no background job, anything is
> working. (clock stops, cursor won't move, rlogin won't work, ...)
> I strongly believe it is NOT Solaris' problem.
> The RealPlayer just entered a critical section and won't exit
> from the section.

This cannot be a RealPlayer problem. On any Unix system it is unthinkable
that a user program, like RealPlayer, would be able to hang the machine.
It may well be that there is a bug in the operating system that is
triggered by RealPlayer but nevertheless it is an operating system bug.
The bug may be still be in a driver rather than in the core OS but it
takes a bit more effort to find out exactly who to blaim.

Another thing may be that RealPlayer does something funny that makes your X
server hang. That might well appear to a normal user to the same thing as
the whole OS would have hang. Normally you try to log in via the network
from another host. If that works, you can perhaps kill off the offending
processes and regain control of your session. But if you could not log in
using rlogin then perhaps the OS has really hung. => OS bug.
--
  Sami Tikka                          tel: +358 9 2520 5115
  Senior Software Engineer            fax: +358 9 2520 5013

1. Sound, Real Player, and MP3 players

I have gotten sound to work on everything, except Real Player, and the
various MP3 players, that I have unsuccesfully tried to use.  I was
exploring this problem, when I looked at was was in /dev/sndstat  :
Sound Driver:3.5.4-960630
Kernel: Linux localhost.localdomain 2.0.32 #1 Wed Nov 19 00:46:45 EST
1997 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:

Card config:

Audio devices:
0: Sound Blaster 16 (4.16)

Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL-3

Midi devices:

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
0: Sound Blaster

I noticed that there is nothing installed under Midi devices.  Now,
I don't know what these other programs that have worked use, and I don't
know what Real Player, or the MP3 players use, but the only connection
that I can come up with is that the Real Player and the various MP3
players use Midi, and that is why they aren't working.  I used sndconfig
(under Red Hat 5.0) to configer my soundblaster 16 PnP.  I would think
that since it configured everything else, that it would configure Midi,
but it seems like it didn't.   Does anyone one have the Sound Blaster 16
PnP card, and has gotten Real Player, or any MP3 player to work?  If
yes, could you  'cat /dev/sndstat' , and tell me what you came up with,
and if you have any midi installed.  If you did something extra to get
midi to work, could you tell me what you did.  Any advice would help.
Thanks.

Mike

2. HELP:: LILO installation threw me out of LINUX AND W95!

3. Real Media Player G2

4. big IRQ lock removal, 2.5.27-G0

5. foreach "Yes or No" --- Help

6. Real Player vs KDE 2.

7. MHTML/BSDI moonlighter wanted ASAP

8. Linux pnserver (RealAudio server) and Windows Media Player

9. Article: Want Media Player 8? Buy Windows XP

10. Windows Media Player Installation

11. DRM and that windows media player

12. Windows Media Player and illegal tactics