Setup a PPP Dialin Server ?

Post by Volker Kuemmle » Wed, 20 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Hi !

Can anyone point me to a howto oder tell me how to setup a PPP dialin
Server on a Sparc Sun under Solaris 2.5 ?

The Sun is connected to the internet via ethernet. Now I want to
establish a PPP connection from my home to the Sun machine. I have got a
modem connected to the Sun, but I don`t know to set up the asppp.conf
file.

Has anybody a similar configuration and can post it to me ?

I also can`t dial out. Every time I issue the command tip I get:

Quote:> tip 5286

can't synchronize with hayes
call failed
[EOT]

There seem to be some mistake with my Devices file.
I have got a normal 14k4 modem connected to the serial port.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this....

Bye

Volker

Setup a PPP Dialin Server ?

Post by Ian D. Bjorhov » Wed, 20 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi !

>Can anyone point me to a howto oder tell me how to setup a PPP dialin
>Server on a Sparc Sun under Solaris 2.5 ?

See the PPP Cookbook:

http://dave.mis.semi.harris.com/ppp.html

Also see the Solaris 2.5 SysAdmin Answerbook.

--
Ian D. Bjorhovde                  UofA Div. of Neural Systems, Memory & Aging

Pager/VoxMail:  520/571-4347       WWW:  http://www.nsma.arizona.edu/~ianbjor

Setup a PPP Dialin Server ?

Post by Bjorn E » Thu, 04 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi !

>Can anyone point me to a howto oder tell me how to setup a PPP dialin
>Server on a Sparc Sun under Solaris 2.5 ?

If all you have at the other end is a PC or Mac. I would recommend
using a SLIP/PPP emulator instead of the Solaris PPP. It's easier to
set up and administrate since it runs as a user application and does
not need its own IP address. To the outside world you look as if you
were  running on your Sparc. There are a few things you can't do with an
emulated connection. But not many!

See  http://www.icaen.uiowa.edu/~thieleke/slirp.html

Quote:

>The Sun is connected to the internet via ethernet. Now I want to
>establish a PPP connection from my home to the Sun machine. I have got a
>modem connected to the Sun, but I don`t know to set up the asppp.conf
>file.

>Has anybody a similar configuration and can post it to me ?

>I also can`t dial out. Every time I issue the command tip I get:

>> tip 5286
>can't synchronize with hayes
>call failed
>[EOT]

>There seem to be some mistake with my Devices file.
>I have got a normal 14k4 modem connected to the serial port.

>Can anyone tell me how to fix this....

A great reference for setting up modems on Solaris is Celeste Stokely's page

http://www.batnet.com/stokely/Unix.Serial.port.resources.html

Quote:>Bye

>Volker

Good Luck,