Solaris 2.7 x86 & Matrox Productiva G100 AGP

Solaris 2.7 x86 & Matrox Productiva G100 AGP

Post by Pedro Antonio Acebes Bay » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I have tried to install the Solaris 2.7 x86 version in my new computer.

I have read the Solaris 2.7 hardware compatibilty list and I can see the
Matrox Productiva G100 (AGP, MGA-G100) between the compatible video cards,
so I supposed not having any problem installing Solaris.

The installation begins without problems. I boot from a floppy disk, and I
make the solaris recognice the Toshiba IDE ATAPI CDROM, then I begin the
installation from the CD.

Everything goes fine until I have to select the video card, the mouse and
the keyboard.  The preselected video card is the right one (MGA G100) and
the default configuration is 1024x768 and 256 Colors. I only change the
keyboard to select the "spanish" keyboard and the mouse (PS2 mouse).

When I accept those options, Solaris says it will check if everything is
correct: I should get a new window with some graphics and a button, but
instead, I get and error and the kdmconfig fails and the unix prompt appears.

I have read in the Solaris Hardware compatibility list note about this card:
"Repeatedly switching between graphics mode and text mode may cause your
system to hang. If this happens, reboot the system."

I haven't repeatedly switching between graphics mode and text mode, I have
only tried to install solaris.

Please, help!!. What can I do?.

I have a Matrox Productiva AGP MGA G100 8M, Sony 17" ES T Monitor,
Motherboard ASUS P5A, Toshiba IDE x36 CDROM, 6.3 Gbytes hard disk,
AMD K6-2 350 Mhz, Sound Blaster 128 PCI, HP 8100 CDR, 128 M RAM and
the floppy disk.

Thanks for your time.

Pedro Antonio Acebes Bayon

Telef: +34-91337 4872
FAX:   +34-91337 4222

Solaris 2.7 x86 & Matrox Productiva G100 AGP

Post by John D Groenve » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Choose bypass configuration of display and install. Once you've installed,
try running kdmconfig from the command line. If it fails, consider replacing
Xsun with Xig's commercial package or Xfree86.
http://www.xig.com/
http://www.xfree86.org/
John

Solaris 2.7 x86 & Matrox Productiva G100 AGP

Post by Pedro Antonio Acebes Bay » Thu, 04 Feb 1999 04:00:00

The problem is solved.
It was my fault. Now, I have made the solaris boot program detect
ALL the possible hardware in the computer manually and the
kdmconfig doesn't fails. I have other problem now with my
hard disk (it's in another article)

Thanks you.

Pedro Antonio Acebes Bayon

Telef: +34-91337 4872
FAX:   +34-91337 4222

Post by Pedro Antonio Acebes Bayo » Thu, 04 Feb 1999 04:00:00

The problem is solved, it was my fault.
I should have to manually scan ALL the posible drivers in
my computer (also mouse and keyboard).

Now kdmconfig works fine. I have now problems formating the
hard disk, but this problem is in other article.

Thanks.

Pedro Antonio Acebes Bayon

Telef: +34-91337 4872
FAX:   +34-91337 4222

Solaris 2.7 x86 & Matrox Productiva G100 AGP

Post by Pedro Antonio Acebes Bay » Thu, 04 Feb 1999 04:00:00

The problem is solved, it was my fault.
I have to manually scan ALL the posible drivers in my computer