Solaris 10(Sparc) Fireengine push another stream module

Solaris 10(Sparc) Fireengine push another stream module

Post by Sid » Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:49:43

Hi,

Could any body let me know how to push my own stream module between
tcp and ip layer as TCP and IP became single module in Solaris10 &
they have eliminated the streams layer between these two modules  .

Also in solaris 10 the output of the strconf  </dev/tcp shows me the
tcp modules doesn't shows me the upper layer (ip) stream. When i try
to load my stream module manually the strconf shows two tcp  modules
instead of showing tcp and my own module.

Thanks in advance

Sids

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Wed, 17 Nov 2004 23:04:32

>Could any body let me know how to push my own stream module between
>tcp and ip layer as TCP and IP became single module in Solaris10 &
>they have eliminated the streams layer between these two modules  .

You can't.  There's no longer a "ip" "tcp" stack; you either get
ip + udp/arp or just "tcp".

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Post by James Carlso » Wed, 17 Nov 2004 23:20:32

> >Could any body let me know how to push my own stream module between
> >tcp and ip layer as TCP and IP became single module in Solaris10 &
> >they have eliminated the streams layer between these two modules  .

> You can't.  There's no longer a "ip" "tcp" stack; you either get
> ip + udp/arp or just "tcp".

Also note that the "tcp" STREAMS module provided is just a
compatibility shim for the MIB-II interfaces.  Opening /dev/ip and
I_PUSH-ing "tcp" does _not_ give you a TCP stream.

--

Sun Microsystems / 1 Network Drive         71.234W   Vox +1 781 442 2084
MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757   42.497N   Fax +1 781 442 1677

Solaris 10(Sparc) Fireengine push another stream module

Post by Sid » Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:49:59

James,

1 more query, how about the loopback is it implemented in kernel as in linux.

Regards

Sids

Post by James Carlso » Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:56:15

> 1 more query, how about the loopback is it implemented in kernel as in linux.

I'm not quite sure what you mean.  The entire TCP/IP stack is in the
kernel on both Solaris and Linux.

Loopback is special on Solaris, in that the IP module handles it
internally.  Loopback packets never leave IP -- there's no "loopback
driver."  I suspect the same is true of Linux.

Is that what you're asking about?

--

Sun Microsystems / 1 Network Drive         71.234W   Vox +1 781 442 2084
MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757   42.497N   Fax +1 781 442 1677

Solaris 10(Sparc) Fireengine push another stream module

Post by Sid » Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:36:19

Hi,

Thanks a lot, I would like to capture the loopback traffic along with
tcp. In Earlier version of solaris i have put a stream module between
tcp-ip modules. But in solaris 10 as they have removed the streams so
i suspect that the loopback interface may be again implemented
sepratly as it is implemented in linux.

If possible please let know the alternative way to capture the
loopback traffic in Solaris10.

Thanks Again

Regards

Sids

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:52:01

>1 more query, how about the loopback is it implemented in kernel as in linux.

Still pretty much as standard TCP/IP; in build 73 you'll find some
loopback TCP optimizations.

FireEngine is not the end of performance work on the Solaris TCP/IP
stack; there's additional work being done for UDP and the socket interface
layer.

Post by James Carlso » Tue, 23 Nov 2004 08:51:51

> Thanks a lot, I would like to capture the loopback traffic along with
> tcp. In Earlier version of solaris i have put a stream module between
> tcp-ip modules.

Doing so was never a supported feature, as the interface between those
two was undocumented.

Quote:> But in solaris 10 as they have removed the streams so
> i suspect that the loopback interface may be again implemented
> sepratly as it is implemented in linux.

No.  Loopback occurs within the merged TCP/IP pseudodriver in Solaris
10.

Quote:> If possible please let know the alternative way to capture the
> loopback traffic in Solaris10.

Basically, you can't.  There's no supported interface that does this.

I think the best answer would be to contact support and file an RFE
explaining what you're trying to do.