I am buying an Ultra 5 but am lost in part numbers ....

I am buying an Ultra 5 but am lost in part numbers ....

Post by John Sconier » Fri, 05 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I have been thinking about a Sun WorkStation for home for some time now.
> I think that the Ultra 5 is a perfect fit for my needs/wallet but I am
> please have a look at this and tell me if I am in the ball park :

Leave the ultra 5  from sun alone.  If your really interested in the most
bang for your buck and your sure about not wanting call EIS, (EIS.com) or
Marathon.  They sell OEM Boards from Sun.  The OEM boards are cheaper but
get this..they have built in SCSI instead of IDE.  So in all
actuallity they're better.  Just got a 300MHZ ultra sparc with 4 gig
Scsi, 64MB for $2350.  Its the same as an ultra 10 and manufactored by
Sun.  I added an internal SCSI 9gig drive and it screams compared to
my office ultra 10 that cost a heck of a lot more with the external disk
pack.

Quote:> Now, the reason for the SCSI adapters and unipack is that the IDE drives
> in the Ultra5 and Ultra10 are slow slow slow ... SCSI is best and I
> don't  want IDE at all.  Can we build an Ultra5 with a SCSI adapter and
> an external UniPack to boot from? I don't want the IDE hard disk or
> CDROM at all!

Call EIS.  They'll take care of you.

Quote:> Do I need X1032A or X6540A?  Why?  What is differential SCSI?
> I'm taking a shot in the dark here but that is my best guess at a
> workstation.  And this is from my own wallet, not some big
> corporation with deep pockets.  I'm willing to invest in my future
> with Java and Solaris but I want my workstation my way!

Did I say EIS??? ;)

Quote:> Your thoughts?

There are a few other places that sell OEM and clones too.  Go to Yahoo
and do a search.  And just so you know Sun will support the OEM boards
because they're manufactured by Sun but I'm not sure about the clones.  So
stay away from them unless they are manufactured by Sun!!

JOHN

Post by Dennis Clark » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I have been thinking about a Sun WorkStation for home for some time now.

I think that the Ultra 5 is a perfect fit for my needs/wallet but I am
swimming in
part numbers and possible configurations.  Here are my thoughts, so,
please
have a look at this and tell me if I am in the ball park :

For performance and long term use without further upgrade:
Part # UGSS2UHC1A9PB256CP  - Upgrade from SLC, ELC, IPC,
        1/1+, SPARCclassic, LX, IPX, or SPARCstation 2
        Sun Ultra 5 System, 333-MHz, 256-MB, 2-MB Level-II cache,
        9-GB disk, 1.44-MB floppy, 32X CD, PGX24 Graphics,
        100-Mb Ethernet, N. Amer. Country Kit, Solaris 7
            Price Unknown!

Part # G-XDSK010A-4G
        Sun StorEdge UniPack 4.2GB, 7200rpm hard drive
        Price : CD 1410.00

Part # X6540A  [ do I need this ? ]
        Dual-Channel Single-Ended UltraSCSI Host Adapter, PCI for the
Ultra
        Enterprise 450,  ships with 2 external ultra scsi 2m cables.
        Price : CD 1305.00

Part # X1032A  [ do I this instead ? ]
        10/100BaseT F/W UltraSCSI PCI Adapter 1.0
        Price : CD 1730.00

Part # UG-MON-19-C   - Upgrade from any previous generation Sun monitor

76Hz,
        WW agency compliance, 1.8m detachable HD-15 pin video cable,
        10-language user's guide.
        Price : CD 1110.00

Part # X470A  [ do I need this? ]
        13W3F to HD15M Video Adapter Cable
        Price : CD 70.00

Now, the reason for the SCSI adapters and unipack is that the IDE drives

in the Ultra5 and Ultra10 are slow slow slow ... SCSI is best and I
don't
want IDE at all.  Can we build an Ultra5 with a SCSI adapter and an
external
UniPack to boot from? I don't want the IDE hard disk or CDROM at all!

Do I need X1032A or X6540A?  Why?  What is differential SCSI?

I'm taking a shot in the dark here but that is my best guess at a
workstation.  And this is from my own wallet, not some big
corporation with deep pockets.  I'm willing to invest in my future
with Java and Solaris but I want my workstation my way!

Your thoughts?

Post by Timothy J. L » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

|Part # X470A  [ do I need this? ]
|        13W3F to HD15M Video Adapter Cable
|        Price : CD 70.00

That's probably for old Sun <-> new monitor (or is it the other
way around?).  Note that Ultra 5 computers will connect to PC
monitors (that are multiscan and handle sufficient resolution).

|Now, the reason for the SCSI adapters and unipack is that the IDE drives
|
|in the Ultra5 and Ultra10 are slow slow slow ... SCSI is best and I
|don't
|want IDE at all.

Have you considered replacing the 4500rpm Seagate Medalist in the
Ultra 5 with a 7200rpm EIDE drive, like an IBM GXP or Maxtor 2500?
Or do newer Ultra 5 computers come with a 7200rpm EIDE drive?

|Can we build an Ultra5 with a SCSI adapter and an
|external
|UniPack to boot from? I don't want the IDE hard disk or CDROM at all!

You'll have to muck around in the OpenBoot monitor to figure out how
to boot from the SCSI devices, since "boot disk" and "boot cdrom"
default to the EIDE devices.

If you don't want EIDE at all, would the AXi board computers with
SCSI sold by non-Sun vendors be an option?

|Do I need X1032A or X6540A?  Why?  What is differential SCSI?

Differential SCSI is not compatible with single ended (the usual
kind of) SCSI.

I am buying an Ultra 5 but am lost in part numbers ....

Post by Dennis Clark » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Dear Sir ... I think you just made my day!

    This whole endeavor is expensive as hell and from what you are saying I
can get Sun Hardware with the features I want without bleeding cash out of
every orifice.  ( sorry for the graphical image but this is getting hellish
expensive )

Dennis Clarke

ps: did you say EIS ?         : )       <-   the emoticon lives !

> > I have been thinking about a Sun WorkStation for home for some time now.
> > I think that the Ultra 5 is a perfect fit for my needs/wallet but I am
> > please have a look at this and tell me if I am in the ball park :

> Leave the ultra 5  from sun alone.  If your really interested in the most
> bang for your buck and your sure about not wanting call EIS, (EIS.com) or
> Marathon.  They sell OEM Boards from Sun.  The OEM boards are cheaper but
> get this..they have built in SCSI instead of IDE.  So in all
> actuallity they're better.  Just got a 300MHZ ultra sparc with 4 gig
> Scsi, 64MB for $2350.  Its the same as an ultra 10 and manufactored by
> Sun.  I added an internal SCSI 9gig drive and it screams compared to
> my office ultra 10 that cost a heck of a lot more with the external disk
> pack.

> > Now, the reason for the SCSI adapters and unipack is that the IDE drives
> > in the Ultra5 and Ultra10 are slow slow slow ... SCSI is best and I
> > don't  want IDE at all.  Can we build an Ultra5 with a SCSI adapter and
> > an external UniPack to boot from? I don't want the IDE hard disk or
> > CDROM at all!

> Call EIS.  They'll take care of you.

> > Do I need X1032A or X6540A?  Why?  What is differential SCSI?
> > I'm taking a shot in the dark here but that is my best guess at a
> > workstation.  And this is from my own wallet, not some big
> > corporation with deep pockets.  I'm willing to invest in my future
> > with Java and Solaris but I want my workstation my way!

> Did I say EIS??? ;)

> > Your thoughts?

> There are a few other places that sell OEM and clones too.  Go to Yahoo
> and do a search.  And just so you know Sun will support the OEM boards
> because they're manufactured by Sun but I'm not sure about the clones.  So
> stay away from them unless they are manufactured by Sun!!

> JOHN

I am buying an Ultra 5 but am lost in part numbers ....

Post by John Sconier » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Dear Sir ... I think you just made my day!

great

Quote:>     This whole endeavor is expensive as hell and from what you are saying I
> can get Sun Hardware with the features I want without bleeding cash out of
> every orifice.  ( sorry for the graphical image but this is getting hellish
> expensive )

no problem

Quote:> Dennis Clarke
> ps: did you say EIS ?         : )       <-   the emoticon lives !

Eis.com ;)

Enjoy!!

I am buying an Ultra 5 but am lost in part numbers ....

Post by John Sconier » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> In comp.unix.solaris you write:
> >actuallity they're better.  Just got a 300MHZ ultra sparc with 4 gig
> >Scsi, 64MB for $2350.  Its the same as an ultra 10 and manufactored by
> >Sun.
> It is not the same as an Ultra 10.

In what way are they different.

I want to be enlightened ;)

JOHN

Quote:> Cheers!greg

Post by Achim Grat » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Leave the ultra 5  from sun alone.  If your really interested in the most
> bang for your buck and your sure about not wanting call EIS, (EIS.com) or
> Marathon.  They sell OEM Boards from Sun.  The OEM boards are cheaper but
> get this..they have built in SCSI instead of IDE.  So in all
> actuallity they're better.  Just got a 300MHZ ultra sparc with 4 gig
> Scsi, 64MB for $2350.  Its the same as an ultra 10 and manufactored by
> Sun.  I added an internal SCSI 9gig drive and it screams compared to
> my office ultra 10 that cost a heck of a lot more with the external disk
> pack.

Just to keep the record straight, the AXi boards do not have built-in
graphics and no audio.  The graphics is most easily added, but you
have to check the configuration if you want 24bit at high resolution.
Audio is a no-go, since the only PCI soundcard that is supported is
not produced any more.  I see that EIS still lists it, perhaps they
have some in stock.

Achim Gratz.

--+<[ It's the small pleasures that make life so miserable. ]>+--
WWW:    http://www.inf.tu-dresden.de/~ag7/{english/}

Phone:  +49 351 463 - 8325

I am buying an Ultra 5 but am lost in part numbers ....

Post by Dennis Clark » Sun, 07 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Much to the surprise of my wife I came stumbling in the door looking
like a 20 inch Sun monitor with two legs under it and cables flying for
arms.   Behind that came a friend with a ( familiar to me ) pizza box
computer that says SPARCstation 20 on it.

wife unit : "What the hell is that?"
me        : " cumputer?"
wife      : "does it run unix?" - note: my wife is a java programmer ...

me        : "on both cpu's, yep, you bet"
wife      : long drawn out 'ooooo' with a rising inflection -
             cat jumps off couch - looks at disembodied floating monitor
- hides under couch
me        : "let's make room in the computer room ... this is my main
machine now ...."
                at this last statement my NT workstation blue screens
and lets out a little whine from its scsi drive ....

OK - so here is what I actually brought home from a company called
LiveWire in Toronto Canada that sells refurbished Sun stuff :

    ss20 twin 60MHz cpus
    twin 4.2G Sun SCSI drives
    128 Meg RAM - TGX Graphics - 20 inch Sun monitor and
    type 5c keyboard - optical mouse - mouse pad -
    external scsi cdrom - toshiba XM-3401TA in a Sun UniPack?

    The whole mess was about $5500.00 CDN =  $ 3600.00 US
    but $2000 was two Sun 4.2G drives
    and $700 was 128Meg Ram
    and $375 each for the cpu modules
    and $250 for the TGX card
    and $1000 for the ss20 box empty
    and $1000 for the 20" Sun monitor
    and $200 for the external scsi cd but thats a loaner

Dennis Clarke

    ps: I'll never cross-post across that many groups again but I am
getting a lot of traffic on this.  Thank to everyone.  I don't need an
ultraSparc chip to be happy with sun hardware - at least for now.

> I have been thinking about a Sun WorkStation for home for some time
> now.
> I think that the Ultra 5 is a perfect fit for my needs/wallet but I am
> swimming in
> part numbers and possible configurations.  Here are my thoughts, so,
> please
> have a look at this and tell me if I am in the ball park :

> For performance and long term use without further upgrade:
> Part # UGSS2UHC1A9PB256CP  - Upgrade from SLC, ELC, IPC,
>         1/1+, SPARCclassic, LX, IPX, or SPARCstation 2
>         Sun Ultra 5 System, 333-MHz, 256-MB, 2-MB Level-II cache,
>         9-GB disk, 1.44-MB floppy, 32X CD, PGX24 Graphics,
>         100-Mb Ethernet, N. Amer. Country Kit, Solaris 7
>             Price Unknown!

> Part # G-XDSK010A-4G
>         Sun StorEdge UniPack 4.2GB, 7200rpm hard drive
>         Price : CD 1410.00

> Part # X6540A  [ do I need this ? ]
>         Dual-Channel Single-Ended UltraSCSI Host Adapter, PCI for the
> Ultra
>         Enterprise 450,  ships with 2 external ultra scsi 2m cables.
>         Price : CD 1305.00

> Part # X1032A  [ do I this instead ? ]
>         10/100BaseT F/W UltraSCSI PCI Adapter 1.0
>         Price : CD 1730.00

> Part # UG-MON-19-C   - Upgrade from any previous generation Sun
> monitor
>         19-inch color monitor 0.27mm dot pitch shadow mask, 1280x1024

>         WW agency compliance, 1.8m detachable HD-15 pin video cable,
>         10-language user's guide.
>         Price : CD 1110.00

> Part # X470A  [ do I need this? ]
>         13W3F to HD15M Video Adapter Cable
>         Price : CD 70.00

> Now, the reason for the SCSI adapters and unipack is that the IDE
> drives
> in the Ultra5 and Ultra10 are slow slow slow ... SCSI is best and I
> don't
> want IDE at all.  Can we build an Ultra5 with a SCSI adapter and an
> external
> UniPack to boot from? I don't want the IDE hard disk or CDROM at all!

> Do I need X1032A or X6540A?  Why?  What is differential SCSI?

> I'm taking a shot in the dark here but that is my best guess at a
> workstation.  And this is from my own wallet, not some big
> corporation with deep pockets.  I'm willing to invest in my future
> with Java and Solaris but I want my workstation my way!

> Your thoughts?

I am buying an Ultra 5 but am lost in part numbers ....

Post by Michael Zumpan » Sun, 07 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I suggested you buy an Ultra1 or an Ultra10 (if you could stand IDE),  but it sounds like you made a very solid choice for a platform.  You also avoided the cross-platform incompatibility that can sometimes occur when compiling on an Ultra.  Make sure you get the lastest firmware, and get on top of the patches for the OS.  If you or your wife has a friend who can get into Access1 on Sun's site you can get these.

[...]

        I think that the Ultra 5 is a perfect fit for my needs/wallet but I am swimming in

Post by Doug McLar » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

| Much to the surprise of my wife I came stumbling in the door looking
| like a 20 inch Sun monitor with two legs under it and cables flying for
| arms.   Behind that came a friend with a ( familiar to me ) pizza box
| computer that says SPARCstation 20 on it.
|
| wife unit : "What the hell is that?"
| me        : " cumputer?"
| wife      : "does it run unix?" - note: my wife is a java programmer ...
| me        : "on both cpu's, yep, you bet"
| wife      : long drawn out 'ooooo' with a rising inflection -

Damn!  All the good ones are taken!  My fiance gets pissed at me when
I bring (more) computers home ...

|     ss20 twin 60MHz cpus
|     twin 4.2G Sun SCSI drives
|     128 Meg RAM - TGX Graphics - 20 inch Sun monitor and
|     type 5c keyboard - optical mouse - mouse pad -
|     external scsi cdrom - toshiba XM-3401TA in a Sun UniPack?
|
|     The whole mess was about $5500.00 CDN =  $ 3600.00 US
|     but $2000 was two Sun 4.2G drives
|     and $700 was 128Meg Ram
|     and $375 each for the cpu modules
|     and $250 for the TGX card
|     and $1000 for the ss20 box empty
|     and $1000 for the 20" Sun monitor
|     and $200 for the external scsi cd but thats a loaner

That seems awfully expensive, especially for the hard drives (if you
look in the right places, SCA drives cost LESS than comparable UW
drives, probably just because the PC users need an adapter to use
them, and I just bought a pair of new 9gb UW IBM drives for $360 US
each (Onsale still occasionally has good deals)) and the monitor
(again, because the PC users typically can't use fixed frequency
monitors.  But maybe things are just different in Canada, dunno.

Still, I have a similar box (SS20, less disk, more ram, faster cpus,
etc) and I'm quite happy with it.

--

Unsolicited email of a commercial or advertising nature is not welcomed.

I am buying an Ultra 5 but am lost in part numbers ....

Post by Dennis Clark » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> Damn!  All the good ones are taken!  My fiance gets pissed at me when
> I bring (more) computers home ...

yep - she is pretty funny at times.  We have ethernet cable running through
the living room and MicroSoft hates us both.  I have NT running on one
workstation.  Linux on an old 486 that REFUSES to die despite abiuse by any
number of people and one cat.  Solaris runs on three machines ... two dual
pentiums and now the SS20 .

Quote:> That seems awfully expensive, especially for the hard drives (if you
> look in the right places, SCA drives cost LESS than comparable UW
> drives, probably just because the PC users need an adapter to use
> them, and I just bought a pair of new 9gb UW IBM drives for $360 US
> each (Onsale still occasionally has good deals)) and the monitor
> (again, because the PC users typically can't use fixed frequency
> monitors.  But maybe things are just different in Canada, dunno.

A * of an exchange rate for one thing.  1.00 US = 1.52 CDN.
Even so I think you are right.  What pisses me off even more is that I have a
SeaGate Barracude ST34572W sitting here as a paper weight and I wonder if it
could go into the ss20.  dunno ?

Quote:> Still, I have a similar box (SS20, less disk, more ram, faster cpus,
> etc) and I'm quite happy with it.

I wanted more ram but my wallet screamed at me and ran under a chair for dear
life!

> --

> Unsolicited email of a commercial or advertising nature is not welcomed.

Dennis Clarke

I am buying an Ultra 5 but am lost in part numbers ....

Post by Achim Grat » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

[newsgroups trimmed]

> A * of an exchange rate for one thing.  1.00 US = 1.52 CDN.
> Even so I think you are right.  What pisses me off even more is that I have a
> SeaGate Barracude ST34572W sitting here as a paper weight and I wonder if it
> could go into the ss20.  dunno ?

It can't go inside, but it should work in an external enclosure plus
wide->narrow cable.  Unless you get an SBUS wide controller, it'll
just be a Fast-SCSI drive, of course.

Achim Gratz.

--+<[ It's the small pleasures that make life so miserable. ]>+--
WWW:    http://www.veryComputer.com/~ag7/{english/}

Phone:  +49 351 463 - 8325

says...

I admire your passion, Chris..

The only issues which have kept myself from looking seriously at Linux
would be:

* It's Unix and the learning curve to start getting productive strikes me
as probably very steep

* It doesn't support plug-and-play.  If your hardware doesn't have Linux
drivers, it don't play..

* Not nearly the amount of developers out there doing stuff for Linux as
there are for Wintel.  Can I get MS Office for Linux?  Can I get
Photoshop for Linux?  Can I get QuarkXpress for Linux? etc.. a big turn
off for me.

--
Reuben King
Email: "reuben at texas dot net" (in plain english to foil spam-bots.

2. Linux Xkernel for sun3's

3. compiling gcc on Tru64

5. tutorial for NIS

6. Am I touchy? Or am I right?

7. pnpdump, isapnp, now what ?

10. I am si**y am I?

11. I am gonna buy a new 17" monitor

12. want to buy a dream machine but i am not sure