DiskSuite + Hot Spare

Post by Michael Trittle » Fri, 28 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,

we have four disks for a diskset, three of them form a RAID, one disk is
configured as hot spare. One of the three disks failed and the hot spare
sucessfully replaced the failed disk. I repaired the failed disk an
brought it back from "Need Maintenance" to state "Okay" by enabling it.
The disk got resynced, but the hot spare is still "In use". How can i
bring the hot spare disk back to "Available"?

Thanks!

Michael

1. DiskSuite hot spare trouble

We have the following configuration on our news machine:

Sparc5/Solaris 2.5.1
256MB RAM
A 5 disk RAID metadevice with a one-disk hot spare pool associated with
it.

Here is the problem. One of the RAID disks went south, but the hsp didn't
kick in.

Any ideas? The 5 RAID components are all 9GB disks, and I am using 8.1GB
partitions on all of them. The hsp is one 9GB disk, and the partition I am
using is slightly larger than all the disks in the RAID.

One thing I should mention is that the RAID components do not have
identical geometry. But that should only affect filesystem performance,
and not cause hsp problems.

Any input will be appreciated. Please cc to my email address

TIA,
naeem

Naeem Bari                      Tel: (314) 935-4865
Software/Network Engineer       Fax: (314) 935-7142

Washington U. in St. Louis      http://rusty.wustl.edu/~naeem/

2. CHAT and MAIL for local Linux system only...

3. DiskSuite Hot Spares and Filesystem Layout

4. Help using lint

5. Disksuite - Removing a Hot spare

6. Reg Raw Sockets

7. Hot spare when both submirrors fails (DiskSuite 4.2)?

8. Adaptec 1542c with cp???

9. Can hot spare be added after metadevices were created ?

10. Veritas Mirroring (Hot Spare Problems)

11. hot spare system

12. adding a hot spare to a RAID5 device...

13. VRTS Hot relocation/sparing.