logger/syslogd problem - it does log my local.* facilities?!?!

logger/syslogd problem - it does log my local.* facilities?!?!

Post by PenguinDB » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 20:45:53

Any help appreciated! Thanks in advance.

I've been through man pages, sun blueprints and misc. references.... HELP!

My environment:
Sun Netra T1 AC200 running Solaris 8 with recommended patches from march
2001

I have added this to default /etc/syslog.conf:

local0.*                                         /var/adm/esnmessages

...and restarted syslogd:
kill -HUP `cat /etc/syslog.pid`

...and then tried this:
/usr/bin/logger -p local0.notice test

NO effect! /var/adm/esnmessages is not updated.

What did I do wrong? Can any one help me.

Lehmann

Post by Steven Buehrl » Fri, 30 Mar 2001 21:36:17

> Any help appreciated! Thanks in advance.
> I've been through man pages, sun blueprints and misc. references.... HELP!
> My environment:
> Sun Netra T1 AC200 running Solaris 8 with recommended patches from march
> 2001
> I have added this to default /etc/syslog.conf:
> local0.*                                         /var/adm/esnmessages
> ...and restarted syslogd:
> kill -HUP `cat /etc/syslog.pid`
> ...and then tried this:
> /usr/bin/logger -p local0.notice test
> NO effect! /var/adm/esnmessages is not updated.
> What did I do wrong? Can any one help me.

Did you read the syslog.conf man page? This is not a valid entry.
The asterisk can be used as a facility, but it can not be used as a level.

1. syslogd/logger: my own facilities?

Hi!

Is it possible to add your own facilities in syslogd?

I want to use logger to maintain my own log - ie I need
a new facility, something like:

mynotes.*               ~/NOTES

in etc/syslog.conf

this doesn't seem to work though! Any ideas?

I just need a way to do from the shell:

some-program blah-blah blah and other notes

and "some-program" should just append the message to a
prespecified file with a time/date tag, just as
/var/log/messages is. (It should be very easy to implement
in shell-scripting; I just don't know much about that and
C seems too much for such an easy task!)

thanx,
S.

2. How to associate file(s) with disk blocks

3. syslogd: max number of local facilities??

4. Tekram SCSI and Kernel 2.0.33 ???

5. Syslogd: max number of local facilities?

6. getting remote host ip from telnet and rlogin?

7. Problems with system logger (syslogd)

8. Openbsd on compaq lte 5400 laptop

9. Syslogd times for local logs are GMT?

10. problems configuring shared memory facility and semaphores facility

11. logger command causes syslogd to go amuck - too many processes

12. logger and syslogd and klogd

13. syslogd facilities for AIX