detailed description/instructions for using `format`

detailed description/instructions for using `format`

Post by Big Wa » Sun, 09 Dec 2001 01:55:25

I am wondering if there is, somewhere, a Sun white paper on the
intracacies of the format command.  I recently had some transient disk
errors on 5.7 IDE Sparc system and decided to use the "analyze"
feature of the format command.  Here's what I got as output:

********BEGIN OUTPUT***************

analyze> read
Ready to analyze (won't harm SunOS). This takes a long time,
but is interruptable with CTRL-C. Continue? yes

        pass 0
DIOCTL_RWCMD: I/O error
DIOCTL_RWCMD: I/O error
DIOCTL_RWCMD: I/O error
DIOCTL_RWCMD: I/O error
DIOCTL_RWCMD: I/O error
DIOCTL_RWCMD: I/O error
DIOCTL_RWCMD: I/O error
DIOCTL_RWCMD: I/O error
   39534/14/0

        pass 1
DIOCTL_RWCMD: I/O error
DIOCTL_RWCMD: I/O error
DIOCTL_RWCMD: I/O error
DIOCTL_RWCMD: I/O error
DIOCTL_RWCMD: I/O error
DIOCTL_RWCMD: I/O error
DIOCTL_RWCMD: I/O error
DIOCTL_RWCMD: I/O error
   39534/14/0

Total of 0 defective blocks repaired.

********END OUTPUT****************

I read the man page on format, but basically there is no description
of the detailed analyze functions (or any other functions for that
matter) other than a one-liner saying that each function exists.  I
searched SunSolve for a half-hour or so but couldn't get anything
meaningful.  At the very least could someone tell me what each field
in the ??/??/?? summary line is?

thanks

dave

1. Instruction set description?

Hi,

I recently wondered whether there was a description of the ALPHA's instruction
set available somewhere? I'd like to get into hacking the thing a bit, but
with what I can get from my uni's library and what I can deduce from looking
at gcc created code, I am still a bit lost. For example, what does "ldgp"
do?

Also, am I correct in assuming that $31 is the register that is always 0,
$30 is the stackpointer, $26 is the return address for function calls, and
$15 is the frame pointer?

Regards,

   Bernie

"It's a magical world, Hobbes ol' buddy...
                                           ...let's go exploring"
Calvin's final words, on December 31st, 1995

2. DGA & Radeon & XFree86 4.1

3. Detailed description of network trafic

4. Sun software only support: Opinions?

5. looking for lp.c source or detailed description

6. Question on kernel rebuild

7. Help - looking for detail description on signal_pending(current)

8. kernel (2.0.7) logging level

9. Q: Detailed description of lp and lpr

10. Detail description of my 800x600 mode problem.

11. Detailed description of (free)OpenServer packages

12. detailed description of linux socket filter and sniffing problem

13. detailed description of ports-system?