Virtual Network

Post by john caliso » Mon, 18 Oct 1999 04:00:00

    I have 98 & Sol 7 on my laptop and 98, NT & Sol 7 on my desktop.  Can I
with two NICs and a crossover cable set up a network so I can practice
setting NFS, NIS, etc... and, I assume with something like SAMBA connect to
the Windows OSs?

thanks,
john

Virtual Network

Post by Jonah Tsa » Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>     I have 98 & Sol 7 on my laptop and 98, NT & Sol 7 on my desktop.  Can I
> with two NICs and a crossover cable set up a network so I can practice
> setting NFS, NIS, etc... and, I assume with something like SAMBA connect to
> the Windows OSs?

Although a cross-over cable would work, I'd suggest you buy a cheapo hub/switch
to set up a real network.

A cross-over cable connecting two hosts may give you some annoying troubles
when one host is powered down, ie. the notebook in your case. For instance a
Sparc-Solaris will continuously complain about "link down?" on the console,
unless you shutdown the ether device. Well, it's 10/100 BaseT, it should
complain!

Check the price of hubs/switches on www.pricewatch.com, the low price will make
you think twice about using a cross-over cable.

Jonah Tsai

Virtual Network

Post by Brion Lear » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

John,

It should be no problem.

I'd use a private IP address for the network, see RFC 1918

http://freesoft.org/CIE/RFC/Orig/rfc1918.txt

Cross over wiring is, 10BaseT/100BaseT, rj45

pin          pin

1 ----------- 3
2 ----------- 6
3 ----------- 1
6 ----------- 2

Use twisted pair wire, not the satin cords used for phones.
You'll get best result with catagory 5 cable, if you're using
cat 3, you may need to limit the net to 10Mb.  The cheap twisted
pair you can get a hardware stores for phone wiring is sub cat 3,
you should look for something better than that.  The catagory X
rating is printed on the cable sheath.

http://wwwhost.ots.utexas.edu/ethernet/10quickref/ch5qr_5.html#HEADING4

Brion Leary

>     I have 98 & Sol 7 on my laptop and 98, NT & Sol 7 on my desktop.  Can I
> with two NICs and a crossover cable set up a network so I can practice
> setting NFS, NIS, etc... and, I assume with something like SAMBA connect to
> the Windows OSs?

> thanks,
> john

Virtual Network

Post by john caliso » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

    I'll look it up, but as long as I don't go out into the net, I'm
assuming I can use any IP addresses I choose.
Thanks for the wiring tip.

john

>John,

>It should be no problem.

>I'd use a private IP address for the network, see RFC 1918

>http://freesoft.org/CIE/RFC/Orig/rfc1918.txt

>Cross over wiring is, 10BaseT/100BaseT, rj45

>pin          pin

>1 ----------- 3
>2 ----------- 6
>3 ----------- 1
>6 ----------- 2

>Use twisted pair wire, not the satin cords used for phones.
>You'll get best result with catagory 5 cable, if you're using
>cat 3, you may need to limit the net to 10Mb.  The cheap twisted
>pair you can get a hardware stores for phone wiring is sub cat 3,
>you should look for something better than that.  The catagory X
>rating is printed on the cable sheath.

>http://wwwhost.ots.utexas.edu/ethernet/10quickref/ch5qr_5.html#HEADING4

>Brion Leary

>>     I have 98 & Sol 7 on my laptop and 98, NT & Sol 7 on my desktop.  Can
>> with two NICs and a crossover cable set up a network so I can practice
>> setting NFS, NIS, etc... and, I assume with something like SAMBA connect
>> the Windows OSs?

>> thanks,
>> john

1. virtual network interface under Solaris 8

It looks like that how to enable and disable
network interface under Solaris 8 changed.
Solaris 8 treates "hme0:1" the same as "hme0":

ifconfig hme0:1 plumb
ifconfig hme0:1 unplumb

In previous release you do not need "plumb",
and you don't use "unplumb" but instead you
assign IP address 0 to hme0:1.

Where would "what is new" and "what is changed"
[for Solaris 8] be documented? Thanks.

2. shell pipeline trick

3. Virtual Network COmputing (VNC) WOW!

4. New user setting up for the first time

5. NAT to virtual network on a vpn-gateway

6. Nautilus

7. Configure a virtual network interface

8. log of rejected messages

9. Want to set up "Virtual Network"

10. HELP!!! Virtual Network Device !!!

11. Virtual Network Adapter Software ?