What is new with Sun One Studio 8 Compiler Collection?

What is new with Sun One Studio 8 Compiler Collection?

Post by Shao W » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 23:52:37

What is new with Studio 8 Compiler Collection?
I'm specifically interested in any improvement with
ANSI/ISO C++ compliant features since Forte 6 Update 2.
Anything else is not much of my concern.   Does it worth
the trouble to cry for a new compiler?  ;-)

Regards,
Shao.

http://wwws.sun.com/software/sundev/suncc/features.html
http://docs.sun.com/source/817-0921/1.html
http://docs.sun.com/source/816-2452/1.html

Post by Rich Tee » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 05:15:20

> http://docs.sun.com/source/817-0921/1.html

From this document, it appears that Sun's C compiler
doesn't fully support ISO/IEC 9899:1999.  Would that
be correct?

--
Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Post by Thomas Deh » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 06:19:51

> > http://docs.sun.com/source/817-0921/1.html

> From this document, it appears that Sun's C compiler
> doesn't fully support ISO/IEC 9899:1999.  Would that
> be correct?

There seems to be a difference between "implemented"
and "supported".

Thomas

Post by Rich Tee » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 08:53:13

> There seems to be a difference between "implemented"
> and "supported".

Right; my understanding is that full C99 support requires
stuff from the OS too (like libs and headers).  So I guess
my question actually was "does Sun cc 5.5 implement all the
C99 language features that don't rely on external stuff
like headers and libs?"

--
Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Post by Paul Egger » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 14:03:10

> "does Sun cc 5.5 implement all the C99 language features that don't
> rely on external stuff like headers and libs?"

The formal way of asking this question is "Does Sun cc 5.5 conform to
ISO/IEC 9899:1999 as a freestanding C compiler?"  Apparently the
answer is "no"; they're not quite done yet.  For example,
<http://docs.sun.com/source/817-0924/c99.app.html> says the compiler
does not yet enforce all constraints for variable length arrays.

Sun cc 5.4 also supported a few C99 features, so it's not like C99 is
a stranger to Sun.  But perhaps Sun is going to wait until Solaris 10
is out before claiming true C99 support.  In the meantime Sun C users
can act as guinea pigs, I guess.  It's sort of like what GCC has done
-- though Sun's been a little behind GCC in the C99-support area.

Post by Thomas Deh » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 15:51:22

> > There seems to be a difference between "implemented"
> > and "supported".

> Right; my understanding is that full C99 support requires
> stuff from the OS too (like libs and headers).

Which are in Solaris 10 because they seem to be
too different from the old ANSI C to ship them with a patch.

Thomas