Making devices (file descriptors)

Post by Jiri J. Dvor » Tue, 20 Apr 1993 18:32:14

There is a directory /dev/fd which contains a lot of numbered entries (file
descriptor files, according to 'man fd') on our Solaris 2.1 server, but which
is empty on all clients  (set up with admintool as diskless Solaris 2.1 clients).

Now the 'find' cron job complains on all clients because it cannot resolve
the link from /dev/std{err,in,out} to entries in /dev/fd.
Is there a way to make these devices on the clients? ('boot -r' as replacement
of MAKEDEV does not change anything). I could try to ufsdump them on the server
and ufsrestore them on hte client. But is there a more apropriate way?
Or, are these devices needed at all? Are they needed on particular kinds of
machines only?

Thanks,
Jiri

---

Swiss Scientific Computing Center CSCS
CH-6928 Manno                             Phone: (+41 91) 50 82 02
Switzerland                               Fax: (+41 91) 50 67 11

Making devices (file descriptors)

Post by Jiri J. Dvor » Wed, 21 Apr 1993 02:29:59

Quote:>There is a directory /dev/fd which contains a lot of numbered entries (file
>descriptor files, according to 'man fd') on our Solaris 2.1 server, but which
>is empty on all clients  (set up with admintool as diskless Solaris 2.1 clients).

>Now the 'find' cron job complains on all clients because it cannot resolve
>the link from /dev/std{err,in,out} to entries in /dev/fd.
>Is there a way to make these devices on the clients? ('boot -r' as replacement
>of MAKEDEV does not change anything). I could try to ufsdump them on the server
>and ufsrestore them on hte client. But is there a more apropriate way?
>Or, are these devices needed at all? Are they needed on particular kinds of
>machines only?

being mounted on the clients where the files are missing. And it wasn't.
Somehow, the diskless install does not put the line with the fd mount in
/etc/fstab. (Though there is a small chance that I deleted it myself, taking it
for the floppy device).
Anyway, inserting the line and mounting fd solved the problem.

---

Swiss Scientific Computing Center CSCS
CH-6928 Manno                             Phone: (+41 91) 50 82 02
Switzerland                               Fax: (+41 91) 50 67 11

1. making a TPI file-descriptor into a socket

Back in Solaris 2.5.x, sockets were implemented with a STREAMS
module known as 'sockmod'.  I seem to remember being able to
"push" these onto a transport provider interface file descriptor
and getting a nice socket as a result.  After Solaris 2.5.x, Sun
scrapped the 'sockmod' STREAMS module (if I remember correctly).
Well I have a need to do something like this transformation
of a regular network file descriptor into a socket again.
Can a transport endpoint file descriptor be turned into a socket
somehow on Solaris 8 even though 'sockmod' is not in the system ?

I am looking for something like :

        fd = t_accept(...) ;

/* pop 'timod' */
        ioctl(fd,I_POP,0) ;

/* push 'sockmod' (if we had it like in the old days) */
        ioctl(fd,I_PUSH,"sockmod") ;

Thanks,
Dave Morano

2. cron audit problem

3. How to map a file descriptor to a device

4. compiling xvnews

5. List of file descriptors for a specific device?

6. where to post harvest queries?

7. tun device: File descriptor in bad state(77)

8. Infusion BBS Software

9. How to use sendfile with a char device driver's file descriptor

10. comparing devices given file descriptor

11. file descriptor device (/dev/fd)

12. "Bad file descriptor" with Bash; how to designate descriptors?

13. Making new device files / Segmentation faults