Two fast Qs ?

Post by moo » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 09:53:46

Hi all,

1.What is the use of the uucp?
2.Is it a must to create a home directory for a new user?

Thanx,

Two fast Qs ?

Post by Kent Smit » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 10:18:54

Quote:>Hi all,

>1.What is the use of the uucp?

unix-to-unix copy program.

Quote:>2.Is it a must to create a home directory for a new user?

no.

Quote:>Thanx,

You're welcome.

--Kent
=================================
Kent Smith
IPSO Incorporated
Business * Technology * Solutions
http://www.ipsoinc.com

Two fast Qs ?

Post by Kjetil Torgrim Homm » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 11:02:46

[Kent Smith]:

>   > 1.What is the use of the uucp?

>   unix-to-unix copy program.

to expand a little, it's a method for sending e-mail etc. in batch.
very useful for intermittent network connections or for transferring
data from DMZ to the internal network.

--
Kjetil T.                       |  read and make up your own mind
                                |  http://www.cactus48.com/truth.html

Two fast Qs ?

Post by Michael Wa » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:53:47

Quote:>to expand a little, it's a method for sending e-mail etc. in batch.
>very useful for intermittent network connections or for transferring
>data from DMZ to the internal network.

uuto and uupick are very useful programs, much easier than
email, attach, detach. Nobody uses it now, because?

1. Two Debian 2.0 Qs

I just installed Debian 2.0.
1) what are the floppy drives that are designated with letter 'u'?
2) what is the proper total shutdown procedure?  if I do 'shutdown -t
now' it take me to the maintenance prompting me to enter super user
password......
3) how do I change run-level in debian?  is there any utility or
something?  I ask this because when I tried Debian last time which was
about 6 months ago, the run level related things were TOTALLY
different from descriptions in the Linux books that I have.

TIA!
-----

                                                ^
(Remove third letter from word 'motivation', to get the e-mail
address.)

2. ENOTTY Error

3. repeat: Two Qs.

4. Use an atomic kmap for generic_file_read()

5. Apache 1.0.2 - two simple installation Qs

6. pccard fast ethernet 10/100 linksys question

7. two Qs: netscape install & video ram

8. Q: Apache 2 install with 1.3 modules?

9. two modems = fast internet connection?

10. Swap+File System on IDE: One Fast Disk or Two Disks?

11. How to Balance Network Loads Between Two Fast Pipes

12. xntpd dies: Clock appears to be 3571 seconds fast

13. Linux ntp 152 seconds fast