Dropping telnet connections on Solaris 2.6 box

Dropping telnet connections on Solaris 2.6 box

Post by PSB Networ » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hello
        OS : Solaris 2.6 (Sparc 20). When you telnet to this box remotely from a
PC the telnet connection drops after say five minutes. Any ideas as to what
might be causing this?

Things done
Inetd restarted.
machine rebooted.
router checked
the size of the inetd daemon binary checked with taht on other machines.
checked the disk space on the filesystems.
Anything I have missed ?
Thanks
Sandeep

Dropping telnet connections on Solaris 2.6 box

Post by Ricardo Stell » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

What tells you it's on the Solaris end ?

It could very well be the PC, the network, etc...

Run tracert, or ping from the PC to see what's going on, or from the Sun
box, run the same pointing it to the PC...

My .02...

> Hello
>         OS : Solaris 2.6 (Sparc 20). When you telnet to this box remotely from a
> PC the telnet connection drops after say five minutes. Any ideas as to what
> might be causing this?

> Things done
> Inetd restarted.
> machine rebooted.
> router checked
> the size of the inetd daemon binary checked with taht on other machines.
> checked the disk space on the filesystems.
> Anything I have missed ?
> Thanks
> Sandeep

 Ricardo Stella                                  O.I.T.
 (609)896-5000 x7436           _suAve_           Rider University
  *** Remove 'no-spam' from e-mail address before replying.  ***

1. Solaris 2.6 FTP server dropping connections

Hi All,

I currently have two Solaris 2.6 FTP servers downloading approximately 300gb
per day via a T3.  Both servers are running wu_ftp 2.4(3) and sustain
approximately 400 concurrent 'ftpd' processes at any one time.  Users are
starting to report dropped TCP connections after 10 minutes which I believe
is due to limited bandwidth on the T3, which sometimes hits utilization
rates up to 80%.

Apart from moving to a internet connection with more bandwidth, are there
any useful 'ndd' parameters that can be set to make my servers more robust
to bandwidth spikes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Campbell
Campbell Webb
Web Architect - Americas IT

Oracle Corporation
500 Oracle Parkway
Redwood Shores
California 94065

The statements and opinions expressed herein are my own and do
not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation.

2. Getting PATH_INFO environment variable from apache

3. Troubleshooting telnet connections in solaris 2.5.1 and 2.6

4. How do I set the PATH variable?????

5. Connection timout on FTP and TELNET, Solaris 2.6

6. Partition help

7. Detecting dropped socket under Solaris 2.6?

8. after Pan newsreader installed, igot a few minor glitches

9. How do I enable telnet connections for sol 2.6

10. can't read Solaris 2.6 x86 hard disk on Solaris 2.6 Ultra-1 ?!?

11. Upgrade from Solaris 2.6 with Volume Manager 2.6 to Solaris 8 with Volume Manager 3.2

12. Why does Telnet Drop Connections?