PROM password problems

Post by Steve Radfor » Thu, 27 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I have a Sun IPC we received from another location in our
company. A former employee set a PROM password on the IPC.
We do not have access to the employee, the PROM password,
or the root password.

Whenever I attempt to enter "new command mode" or boot
from cdrom, I am prompted for a "PROM password". Is there
a workaround to avoid entering the PROM password?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
--
Steve Radford           Performance Awareness Corporation
Unix/Network SysAdmin   8521 Six Forks Road, Suite 200

(919)870-8800           http://www.PACorp.com

PROM password problems

Post by Arun Gurjal » Thu, 27 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Give this a shot:
at the OK prompt type in    set-defaults
This will restore the original factory settings.  Give it a shot
        Arun
--
Arun Gurjale
INDUS Corporation

E-Mail

PROM password problems

Post by Jake Hamb » Thu, 27 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Give this a shot:
> at the OK prompt type in    set-defaults
> This will restore the original factory settings.  Give it a shot
>         Arun

Sorry, you can't GET to the OK prompt if there's a PROM password!

I think in this situation you need to contact Sun and see if you can
physically swap out the PROM for a different one.  Unless there's some
magic code they can give you to disable the password, which I doubt.

-- Jake

PROM password problems

Post by Mark Henders » Fri, 28 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a Sun IPC we received from another location in our
>company. A former employee set a PROM password on the IPC.
>We do not have access to the employee, the PROM password,
>or the root password.

there may be a better workaround than this - but one solution is
to replace the NVRAM chip (about US$20-US$30)

Check out the Sun NVRAM/hostid FAQ at
http://www.squirrel.com/squirrel/sun-stuff.html
--

PGP key 1024/B2667EFF - 5A 93 7D 29 EB 63 84 09  EA A2 AA 6C FA C5 A6 21
unstrip for Solaris, MIND LINK crypto archive, TECO, computer security links,

PROM password problems

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Fri, 28 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>Whenever I attempt to enter "new command mode" or boot
>from cdrom, I am prompted for a "PROM password". Is there
>a workaround to avoid entering the PROM password?

If you can boot the system, you can eitehr become root and/or
take the disk out and remove the root password.

When you're root, you only need to "eeprom security-mode=none" and
the password is gone.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

PROM password problems

Post by Luca Pol » Fri, 28 Feb 1997 04:00:00

(Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engineer) writes:

Quote:> If you can boot the system, you can eitehr become root and/or
> take the disk out and remove the root password.

> When you're root, you only need to "eeprom security-mode=none" and
> the password is gone.

Did Sun change something here ? A few years ago I  had the same problem on a
SS10 and even if  I could regularly  boot the machine and  login as root,  I
could not reset the PROM password in any  way... I had  to call Sun and they
sent me a new NVRAM chip  (it arrived from Germany within two days: *that's*
speed!).

Oh, wait: which Solaris version did the eeprom command appeared in the first
time?   If I remember correctly, at  that  time I was  running  2.2, and was
trying to upgrade to 2.3.

Regards,
Luca Polo.
--

| (http://www.gest.unipd.it/~jake for  || Ist. di Ingegneria Gestionale  |
 \ address and phone numbers)          || Universita` di Padova, Italy  /

PROM password problems

Post by Steve Radfor » Fri, 28 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> I have a Sun IPC we received from another location in our
> company. A former employee set a PROM password on the IPC.
> We do not have access to the employee, the PROM password,
> or the root password.

> Whenever I attempt to enter "new command mode" or boot
> from cdrom, I am prompted for a "PROM password". Is there
> a workaround to avoid entering the PROM password?

> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
> --
> Steve Radford           Performance Awareness Corporation
> Unix/Network SysAdmin   8521 Six Forks Road, Suite 200

> (919)870-8800           http://www.PACorp.com

Thanks for the responding posts and emails. One person
recommended attaching a boot disk from another ipc to
the "PROM Password" ipc, booting up the "PROM Password"
ipc, logging in as root (password from other ipc disk),
then using "eeprom security-mode=none" to turn off
the PROM password.

I tried it. It worked. All is well now.
--
Steve Radford           Performance Awareness Corporation
Unix/Network SysAdmin   8521 Six Forks Road, Suite 200

(919)870-8800           http://www.PACorp.com

PROM password problems

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Fri, 28 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>Oh, wait: which Solaris version did the eeprom command appeared in the first
>time?   If I remember correctly, at  that  time I was  running  2.2, and was
>trying to upgrade to 2.3.

It was in SunOS 4.x, can't remember that it was ever different.

Post by Mike Coughl » Sat, 01 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a Sun IPC we received from another location in our
>company. A former employee set a PROM password on the IPC.
>We do not have access to the employee, the PROM password,
>or the root password.
>Whenever I attempt to enter "new command mode" or boot
>from cdrom, I am prompted for a "PROM password". Is there
>a workaround to avoid entering the PROM password?

    This question comes up frequently. There is no easy trick to
getting around the PROM password. Sun's system programmers are too
smart for that. But if you have a computer or an EPROM burner that
will read programmable memory chips, you can remove the non-volatle
memory chip from the Sun and read the password. Don't tell anybody
from Sun about this or they'll encrypt the password the next time
they change the boot ROM.

    The best solution is to make sure there is information
on PROM passwords hidden away somewhere where it can be found
when people who set these passwords change jobs (or forget).

--

PROM password problems

Post by Terry Dunc » Sat, 01 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>I have a Sun IPC we received from another location in our
>company. A former employee set a PROM password on the IPC.
>We do not have access to the employee, the PROM password,
>or the root password.

>Whenever I attempt to enter "new command mode" or boot
>from cdrom, I am prompted for a "PROM password". Is there
>a workaround to avoid entering the PROM password?

>Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>--
>Steve Radford           Performance Awareness Corporation
>Unix/Network SysAdmin   8521 Six Forks Road, Suite 200

>(919)870-8800           http://www.PACorp.com

When I took the Solaris system admin class I asked the very same
question.  The teacher said when he used to work in tech
support at SUN, they would take the eeprom out, put it
in backwards, then toggle the off/on switch very quickly (once).
The static charge would erase the password about 9 times out
of ten.  The one time, however, it would fry the eeprom.  SUN
sells them for about $100 and you can specify you host ID and
ethernet address, so if you try this, jot them down first :)

-Terry-

PROM password problems

Post by David Hoelz » Sun, 02 Mar 1997 04:00:00

If I understand you properly, on Wed, 26 Feb 1997 15:41:07 -0500 you,

>I have a Sun IPC we received from another location in our
>company. A former employee set a PROM password on the IPC.
>We do not have access to the employee, the PROM password,
>or the root password.

>Whenever I attempt to enter "new command mode" or boot
>from cdrom, I am prompted for a "PROM password". Is there
>a workaround to avoid entering the PROM password?

>Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>--
>Steve Radford           Performance Awareness Corporation
>Unix/Network SysAdmin   8521 Six Forks Road, Suite 200

>(919)870-8800           http://www.PACorp.com

If you can find no internal solution, please feel free to contact me.
We can retrieve the system and reset the prom password.  We would need
you to ship the machine to us (chassis & Keyboard).  We can have the
machine back to you within two days of our receiving it, fully
restored.  Call me and we can talk turkey..

1-888-TRAIN-96
1-516-589-3200

PROM password problems

Post by Glenn Weinbe » Tue, 04 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>    This question comes up frequently. There is no easy trick to
>getting around the PROM password. Sun's system programmers are too
>smart for that. But if you have a computer or an EPROM burner that
>will read programmable memory chips, you can remove the non-volatle
>memory chip from the Sun and read the password. Don't tell anybody
>from Sun about this or they'll encrypt the password the next time
>they change the boot ROM.

If we do decide to encrypt (which I find pretty unlikely), it won't be
because of this.  The PROM password is supposed to protect you as long as
the system is physically secure.  As soon as you have the ability to open
up the box, all bets are off since at a minimum you can simply replace the
NVRAM to eliminate the password.

        Regards,

        Glenn
--

Opinions expressed above should not be construed as representing any position,
official or unofficial, of SMCC or Sun Microsystems, Inc.

1. PROM Password.

Hey all,
        I have an old SPARC Station 20 here, which I dug up from the basement so
to speak.  It's running Solaris 8 and I can access one of the user accounts.
However I don't know the root password, and wouldn't mind doing a fresh
install.  The problem is that the previous admin set a PROM password which I
don't know or cannot get access too.  Is there anyways to get around removing
it?  I tried booting the machine without any HDD's however this changed
nothing.  Thanks in advance for your time and replies...
--
regards,
        -mark

http://mark.redbrick.dcu.ie
-
"Trying is the first step towards Failure"- Homer J. Simpson

2. Linux (slackware 3) on Thinkpad 755C with 540MB disk: possible?

3. PROM Password help

4. Intro to Unix question for a beginner

5. getting round a PROM password?

6. Traffic Generation

7. HELP - PROM password (SS2)

8. SCSI disk sharing between two SPARCstations

9. HOW TO: Change PROM password

10. PROM Password help

11. SparcStation 2 PROM Password

12. Setting security mode and prom password in C

13. Lost PROM Password