How to dial-out for PPP???

Post by RBilli » Mon, 08 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I read all the step-by-step guides to setting up PPP on a sparc with
Solaris 2.5.
I can Tip dial my modem and connect to my internet provider, I can start
netscape, but what is supposed to dial-out for PPP? I thought it was "cu
'servername' " ? And the servername is the one setup in /etc/uucp/Systems.
when I type it, it just returns the prompt. I pretty sure most everthing
else is set ok, but I'm confused as to what command actually dials the
modem and connects. I don't think I'm supposed to use Tip here.
Any help will be warmly appreciated.
Bob.

How to dial-out for PPP???

Post by dol.. » Mon, 08 Sep 1997 04:00:00

: netscape, but what is supposed to dial-out for PPP? I thought it was "cu
: 'servername' " ? And the servername is the one setup in /etc/uucp/Systems.
: when I type it, it just returns the prompt. I pretty sure most everthing
: else is set ok, but I'm confused as to what command actually dials the
: modem and connects. I don't think I'm supposed to use Tip here.

any number of commands should be able to initiate the dialout process.  in
my experience, some are better than others for reasons of how the command
times out (or doesn't timeout).  i use, ping - as in ping systemname.
i could even use some systemname that isn't in /etc/hosts or
/etc/uucp/Systems, because as soon as ping can't find the system locally,
it will initiate the dial out process to look for the system on the
ipdptp0 interface (the ppp interface).

very often, after i use ping, the modem begins to dial only seconds before
ping says, no response from host, but i think this takes so long in my
case because i've got the solaris box attached to a local network which
"offers" ping quite a few choices before ping is inclined to look at the
ppp interface.  but telnet should work, as should bringing up netscape and
requesting a url.

steve

How to dial-out for PPP???

Post by RBilli » Tue, 09 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Thanks, I used "cu -d -L pppsrv" (ppsrv is my ppp interface name). and it
dials, connects ok, I then type my user name and password and I get the
gibberish stuff ok, then I open Netscape, but it doesn't connect. When I
check the asppp.log file, it always says "ipdptp0 trying to connect -
System not in Systems file". I have pppsrv in the Systems file and hosts
file. There is a route to my interface, aspppd is running, I just seem to
be missing something here. I don't quite get what is a system-name as
opposed to a machine-name etc. I'm just trying to follow various FAQ's I've
downloaded. If I saw an example hosts file, Systems file, asppp.cf file,
and Devices file, and a netstat -rn result all from the same machine, I
could probably fiqure what is what here.
Thanks for the response.
Bob.