Stock Solaris rdist vs rsync

Post by Rich Tee » Thu, 01 Feb 2001 03:17:01

Hi all,

Is there any reason why one would prefer to use rsync 2.4.6 rather than
the version of rdist that ships with Solaris 7 MU4 (with recent patches),
or vice versa?

I've not used either of them, but I have an inclination to favour the
one that ships with the OS.  Thoughts, suggestions?

TIA,

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Post by Erik Hovla » Thu, 01 Feb 2001 05:17:23

| Hi all,
|
| Is there any reason why one would prefer to use rsync 2.4.6 rather than
| the version of rdist that ships with Solaris 7 MU4 (with recent patches),
| or vice versa?

rsync can be much faster if there is only small changes in the
directory trees you are trying to distribute. It can use ssh, has
compression capability and generally has a few more features then rdist.

I prefer it, but newer versions of rdist may have these features.

Erik Hovland
Member of Technical Staff, Interferometer Section - 383

I speak for myself not JPL.

Post by Rich Tee » Thu, 01 Feb 2001 09:10:12

> | Hi all,
> |
> | Is there any reason why one would prefer to use rsync 2.4.6 rather than
> | the version of rdist that ships with Solaris 7 MU4 (with recent patches),
> | or vice versa?

> rsync can be much faster if there is only small changes in the
> directory trees you are trying to distribute. It can use ssh, has
> compression capability and generally has a few more features then rdist.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies.  Seems that rsync is the way to go!

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

1. Perfomance: tar vs ftp vs rsync vs cp vs ?

Hello!

I'm looking for the fastest way to transfer files between 2 SUN
boxes sitting on a 100MB full-duplex ethernet.  Data: ~100Gb of
binary files ~30Mb each.

Copying and moving disks around is not an option - don't have
physical access to the servers.

Files are not organized by filesystem and/or directories.  I.e. I
have to transfer a list of files spread all over the places.

Things I'm considering:

1.  cd /net/src; tar cf - list_of_files | (cd /net/dst; tar xf -)
2.  for i in list_of_files; do rsync -options /net/src/$i /net/dst/$i; done
3.  for i in list_of_files; do ftp each file; done
4.  for i in list_of_files; do cp each file; done

For all 4 options I can break the list_of_files into sublists and
do them in parallel.

- Approximately 5% of files are the same on src and dst servers;
other files may have the same names, but are different and not
even similar (chunks of a database)

- Files compress with gzip 1:2 - I could reduce the total amount
of data travelling over the link by 2 via "z" option in tar or
rsync, but I'm afraid the overhead of gziping/ungzipping them
will consume more time, than I save on the network transers.
Server details: SRC server - E6500, 22 400MHz cpu, 48Gb RAM;
DST server - E10K, 4 333MHz cpu, 4Gb RAM.

Any thoughts on the above 4 methods and any other ideas on moving
things will be appreciated.

Andrei

2. RH NEWBIE: RH Router Question

3. SunOS 5.6 vs Solaris 2.6 vs Solaris 7 vs Solaris 8

4. YDL 2.3 + PB3500 + Lucent wireless PCMCIA card: how to connect to AirPort base station?

5. rsync hangs on RedHat 2.4.2 or stock 2.4.4

6. SCO & UNIX: A Comedy of Errors ALWAYSON-NETWORK.com

7. RDIST, RSYNC or something else? replication

8. GoldStar 1505 resolution trouble...

9. Best tool to distribute files (rdist, rsync, cfengine)

10. rsync replacement for rdist

11. Stock Market Question: COREL vs RHAT vs VA Linux

12. rdist and rsync