Open Reel Tape Device Drivers

Post by hans de hard » Tue, 02 Apr 1996 04:00:00

We have connected an SCSI-2 Open Reel Tape Device on a SUN 1000, running under Solaris 2.4

Now we need to write ISO Standard Tape formats and labeled IBM formatted tapes.

With device driver should we use and is there standard conversion software.

Please send a respond as soon as possible, or otherwhise a hint where to look.

Thanks,

Hans de Harde

Open Reel Tape Device Drivers

Post by Jack Bochsl » Wed, 03 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>We have connected an SCSI-2 Open Reel Tape Device on a SUN 1000, running under Solaris 2.4

>Now we need to write ISO Standard Tape formats and labeled IBM formatted tapes.

>With device driver should we use and is there standard conversion software.

>Please send a respond as soon as possible, or otherwhise a hint where to look.

>Thanks,

>Hans de Harde

The only officially supported open reel tape device is the HP-88780.
If you are using a different device, you need to build an entry in
the /kernel/drv/st.conf file which details the characteristics of
the device.  This will allow you to use the standard st device
driver.

See st(7D) for the details.

jack

1. Help with HP 88780A SCSI Reel-to Reel tape Linux question (NEW MSG)

Hi.   My last posting was lost due to a problem with my service provider.

I am using Linux and have SCSI, and a HP 88780A reel-to-reel drive, and
would appreciate any feedback you may have on the use of this type of
drive.   I'd like to generate tapes that could be read by older mini's and
mainframes (Data General, DEC, etc) and it is a nice drive, but quite heavy!

Thanks very much for your help.

Ronan McAllister
PS I have a Adaptec 1542B.

Thanks

2. Need help on APACHE_1.2.4

3. Need info on 1/2" reel-to-reel tape drives

4. 10GB Western Digital w/ EZ-Drive

5. ISO/ANSI standard reel to reel tape

6. Philips PCA20TV card under Linux?

7. Supported 9-track Open Reel & 3480 Tape drives

8. more on quickcam issue

9. opening tape devices with no tape in the drive

10. Copy from tape device to tape device across the network

11. st.conf for 9914 1/2 " reel tape drive

12. Reel tape assignment system

13. Ftape rewinds tape all the way onto one reel