MULTIPLE DOMAIN NAMES single IP ??

Post by Bob Hoffman » Wed, 07 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Is it possible to have one IP, but multiple domain names ?

I need help on this, if anyone knows of a simple method ? i.e. named.xxx
files, etc.

I am trying to run "named" in my server, not NIS+

Regarding Solaris 2.5 x86

Post by Steve Col » Thu, 08 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> Is it possible to have one IP, but multiple domain names ?

DNS is specifically designed for this.  I usually recommend having one IP
address for each domain, but it's not required - DNS is only dependant
upon IP addresses in the sense that it furnishes the IP address when the
domain name is looked up.

What you can't do is reverse domain lookup on a single IP address, where
the IP address is used to furnish the domain name.  I've seen a machine
lock up tighter'n hell during an experiment with just that.  But then you
probably want inbound traffic, I expect.

Cheers,
Steve      |President & Systems Administrator,  Kingston Online Services

           |(e pluribus unix)   3xT-1!   URL: http://www.kosone.com/kos/
           |Business and Education partners in SouthEastern Ontario 1993->

           |"Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
           | backbone, bounced from satellite, it's nothing but net."

MULTIPLE DOMAIN NAMES single IP ??

Post by The Wiza » Fri, 09 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Sure, just give them all the same IP address with A records, or use
CNAME records

If this was not the answer you were looking for, please be more
specific as to what you're trying to do.

>Is it possible to have one IP, but multiple domain names ?

>I need help on this, if anyone knows of a simple method ? i.e. named.xxx
>files, etc.

>I am trying to run "named" in my server, not NIS+

>Regarding Solaris 2.5 x86

1. Single IP Address - Multiple hosts each with different domain name.

My LAN has several hosts with one of them using a dynamic dns to allow
access from the internet.

What I want to do is to be able to get to more than one of my local
hosts through this single ip address.  I figure the domain names would
look like
mylan.dyndns.org, then host2.mylan.dyndns.org, host3.mylan.dyndns.org
etc..

How do I do this?  Since dyndns can (apparently) use the
one current IP address, how can I get to the other hosts on the LAN
with a domain name like above from the internet?

To clarify, I'm not talking about multiple web sites but multiple
hosts.

2. (Q) kppp problem -- modem not ready

3. Can I configure multiple domain names to dhcpd.conf "option domain-name"?

4. 3c900c & RH5.2

5. multiple virtual email domains on a single IP - possible?

6. Uugetty sometimes doesn't hang up the phone

7. compile sendmail prob

8. Multiple domains, single IP ?

9. How to configure multiple domains on a single IP

10. Mail server for multiple domain using a single IP address

11. Seperating Multiple Domains pointed to a single IP?

12. Single IP, DNS and multiple names