Inetd Configuration Question

Post by Scallic » Fri, 08 Nov 2002 09:08:23

Hello,

In my inetd.conf file, I have "tcp6" set in the entry for telnet and ftp.
However, when I connect to the machine, the syslog logs 0.0.0.0 as the
connecting IP. When I change the inetd.conf entry to "tcp"... I am unable to
connect to the system. It says "connection refused". Any ideas why this is
happening? Thanks.

-Scallica-

Post by Akop Pogosia » Fri, 08 Nov 2002 13:13:08

> Hello,
> In my inetd.conf file, I have "tcp6" set in the entry for telnet and ftp.
> However, when I connect to the machine, the syslog logs 0.0.0.0 as the
> connecting IP. When I change the inetd.conf entry to "tcp"... I am unable to
> connect to the system. It says "connection refused". Any ideas why this is
> happening? Thanks.
> -Scallica-

This shouldn't happen. Are you using non-IPv6 aware tcpd with that
service?

--
Akop Pogosian

This space has been accidentally left blank.

Inetd Configuration Question

Post by Scallic » Fri, 08 Nov 2002 14:07:43

Quote:

> > In my inetd.conf file, I have "tcp6" set in the entry for telnet and
ftp.
> > However, when I connect to the machine, the syslog logs 0.0.0.0 as the
> > connecting IP. When I change the inetd.conf entry to "tcp"... I am
unable to
> > connect to the system. It says "connection refused". Any ideas why this
is
> > happening? Thanks.

> > -Scallica-

> This shouldn't happen. Are you using non-IPv6 aware tcpd with that
> service?

I am using tcp wrappers. I am not sure which type. Maybe I should remove
them and see what happens.

Post by Greg Andre » Sat, 09 Nov 2002 02:46:54

>In my inetd.conf file, I have "tcp6" set in the entry for telnet and ftp.
>However, when I connect to the machine, the syslog logs 0.0.0.0 as the
>connecting IP. When I change the inetd.conf entry to "tcp"... I am unable to
>connect to the system. It says "connection refused". Any ideas why this is
>happening? Thanks.

The Solaris in.telnetd doesn't use syslog, so you're doing something
you left out of your description.  TCP wrappers, right?

You MUST use "tcp6" on Solaris 8 or higher, and you must use a version
of TCP wrappers that support IPv6, as the Solaris FAQ indicates.

  -Greg
--
Do NOT reply via e-mail.
Reply in the newsgroup.

Inetd Configuration Question

Post by Scallic » Sat, 09 Nov 2002 05:14:13

Quote:

> The Solaris in.telnetd doesn't use syslog, so you're doing something
> you left out of your description.  TCP wrappers, right?

> You MUST use "tcp6" on Solaris 8 or higher, and you must use a version
> of TCP wrappers that support IPv6, as the Solaris FAQ indicates.

>   -Greg

I am using tcp wrappers 7.6. What is the latest version, and where can I
download binaries for it?

Post by Greg Andre » Sat, 09 Nov 2002 15:06:35

>> The Solaris in.telnetd doesn't use syslog, so you're doing something
>> you left out of your description.  TCP wrappers, right?

>> You MUST use "tcp6" on Solaris 8 or higher, and you must use a version
>> of TCP wrappers that support IPv6, as the Solaris FAQ indicates.

>>   -Greg

>I am using tcp wrappers 7.6. What is the latest version, and where can I
>download binaries for it?

The google.com search site says the localtion of the Solaris FAQ is:

  http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2.html

  -Greg (did you really need me to look it up for you?)
--
Do NOT reply via e-mail.
Reply in the newsgroup.