ANOUNCEMENT: zsplit, unzsplit: free linux tools to make a full drive image backup!

ANOUNCEMENT: zsplit, unzsplit: free linux tools to make a full drive image backup!

Post by ju.. » Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:41:02

Please visit the homepage of DeviceImage-Project:
http://www.device-image.de

Disk images provide a powerful backup-restore solution and are exact
copies of your hard drive which are created by using low level byte by
byte copy operation. So even if your drive goes bad, you will still
have an entire copy of your system that you can restore.

zsplit and unsplit are Linux utilities.
zsplit is a command line imager, which allows you to create an exact
disk image. Finally it compresses the output image file and splits it
into chunks of defined size to fit exactly the size of storage media
(CD, DVD or HDD).

unzsplit is a command line restore tool. It restores files produced by
zsplit to its origin, i.e. splitted and compressed image files will be
uncompressed, tied together and restored to the original device or
partition.

Key Features :

1. runs under GNU/Linux OS

2. creates images from FAT16, FAT16X, FAT32, FAT32X, NTFS (MS Windows-
95, -98, -Me, -NT4, -2000, -XP), Linux Ext2, Linux Ext3, ReiserFS and
Linux swap partitions.

3. is able to create images from Very Large Files or devices (tested
with 200 Gygabyte devices)

4. output image files can be compressed to various density (900 MiB
(megabyte binary) FAT32 partition can be compressed to 350 - 400 MB
and can be stored on one CD)

5. output image file can be splitted into pieces of defined size

6. in case of partially damaged devices, blocks and/or sectors safely
reads all remaining intact sectors

7. supports non-seekable input and output (so you can use pipes for
stdin and/or stdout)

Post by Dave Uhrin » Wed, 16 Feb 2005 18:04:51

> 1. runs under GNU/Linux OS

What relevance does this have to a newsgroup dedicated to Solaris?

Post by ju.. » Thu, 17 Feb 2005 06:58:07

> > 1. runs under GNU/Linux OS

> What relevance does this have to a newsgroup dedicated to Solaris?

If you could compile the sources on the Solaris machine, it would run
also on Solaris. I have not tried it yet but I think it should be
possible.

Regards,
Jurij

Post by Colin B » Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:48:02

>> > 1. runs under GNU/Linux OS

>> What relevance does this have to a newsgroup dedicated to Solaris?

> If you could compile the sources on the Solaris machine, it would run
> also on Solaris. I have not tried it yet but I think it should be
> possible.

At which point you'd have an untested, unproven tool that deals with Linux
and Windows filesystems.

Really, is there any relevance to Solaris at all here?

Post by ju.. » Fri, 18 Feb 2005 05:43:18

> >> What relevance does this have to a newsgroup dedicated to Solaris?

> > If you could compile the sources on the Solaris machine, it would run
> > also on Solaris. I have not tried it yet but I think it should be
> > possible.

> At which point you'd have an untested, unproven tool that deals with Linux
> and Windows filesystems.

> Really, is there any relevance to Solaris at all here?

I have not tried to compile this tool on Solaris... because I have not
a machine to play, but I am sure if it can be compiled - you have the
same tool for Solaris. Therefore I see here the direct relevance to
Solaris.

Regards,
Jurij

Post by ju.. » Sun, 27 Feb 2005 00:43:16

> > > If you could compile the sources on the Solaris machine, it would run
> > > also on Solaris. I have not tried it yet but I think it should be
> > > possible.

> > At which point you'd have an untested, unproven tool that deals with Linux
> > and Windows filesystems.

> > Really, is there any relevance to Solaris at all here?

> I have not tried to compile this tool on Solaris... because I have not
> a machine to play, but I am sure if it can be compiled - you have the
> same tool for Solaris. Therefore I see here the direct relevance to
> Solaris.

> Regards,
> Jurij

Dear all, I am sorry for this posting... :-(( I have tried to compile
it on Solaris ... to no success. Forget it please. May be later I will
try to port it to Solaris.
Regards,
Jurij

1. ANOUNCEMENT: zsplit, unzsplit: free linux tools to make a full drive image backup!

[...]

2. mod_include broken in Apache 1.3.1 on Solaris 2.6?

3. FREE Imaging Tool for Linux/Windows

4. Listing directories & file names

5. PowerQuest Drive Image - Windows compressed drive image, is there an equivalent for Linux?

6. Networking with PL12

7. Solaris full image backup

8. RH 7.2 network keeps shutting down

9. Making backup images to cd to create another system.

10. Making disk image backup

11. image backup of harddisc & making a maintainance disc

12. Trouble making HARD DRIVE IMAGE for dosemu0.52

13. Making hard drive images with different OS